May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Dylan

"Touching," Wolf?

I think the word you're looking for is "contrived."

Don't let her fool you.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Charles in Florida

Crocodile Tears at its finest! Give it a rest Hillary, your road trip to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue ends soon. Obama 08′

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Democrat21st century

Wolf you can ask Clinton-how could she tout her experience and electability while her human resource management and financial management of her campaign is in mess and chaotic! Second, does she believe in bending the rules (DNC rules for FL and MI) just for narrow and personal gain?

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Patriot

Blitzer, you are too easily 'touched'. lol

Hilary is one of the best actresses in Washington DC; and you fell for another of her act. lol

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  5. IF, Lisbon

Yawn...

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. loooooool

so what?

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. noemi in los angeles

How sweet, but let's stick to the issues.

Democrats 08

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. SusanDemforLife

Let the weeping begin.... we should see a lot more of this as she starts to accept or realize the White House may not be hers for the taking. There are a least five different scary personalities to this woman and I not sure which one the public will see more of as we near close to the June 5th deadline of the primaries.

We will probably end with the more known personality: the weeping nasty vengeful negative democrat we have all seen her revert to over the last 6 months

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. AC 360

And so....who cares!! You think it is family business.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Joe - Wilmington, DE

I would love to believe the senator's sincerity during this interview(don't get me wrong, I am sure her love for her daughter is deep and undeniable and is certainly reciprocal) but given her track record of contrivance, faked outrage, tears seemingly on cue, etc…this seems another attempt to pull at the voter's heart strings.

It's time to stop.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Debby

Great interview Wolf and good 2 questions from those people. Sen. Clinton is one smart woman.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. Reginald Johnson

So What, Millions of other Americans around the country feel the same way about their children. Hillary gets no sympathy from me and why does CNN always try to make something out of nothing regardless of who the candidate is. I am voting for Obama but I do NOT want to here sympathy stories about him, I want to here about what our country has to do to get back on top again. We look at things in this country like we do cheap gold watches (if it looks real maybe I can fool people).

May 14, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. mitchell from arkansaw

we still love you hillary and chelsea ,but,we need you to support our nominee.

May 14, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. Linda

Chelsea is an exceptional person to of had the parents she has.

May 14, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Cold Hard Truth

This person clearly has no shame. As far as the daughter being impressive give me a break. She buckled under the first question pertaining to the Monica Lewinsky fiasco and she has now joined the ranks of liar in the family when she continued to support her mothers lie indirectly when she said nothing to correct the Bosnia sniper fire "misspoke". Chelsea was there and I am sure her memory of that incident was quite vivid. So in essence she kept up the lie which now places her in the same company as good old mom and dad. If you want a taste of what a future Clinton presidency will be like all you have to do is look at the pics of Chelsea at her finest making an appearance at the Kentucky derby in all her fine "elitist" glory.

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Ann

She is the most selfish woman alive. What a disservice to future women who want the Whitehouse. It's over Hill. Roll out with what dignity you still have...

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  17. USAF Sr. Airman

Hey CNN, how about some news. No. No news from CNN. Instead they post TWO stories on Clinton choking up.

I hate this saying, but today you have earned it:

CNN = Clinton News Network

Good job CNN for an extremely poor display of "journalism".

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. Ndidiamaka, North Carolina

Sen. Clinton said that OPEC gets together to decide how much oil to produce and determine their price. The first part is correct, but the last part is just not true at all. The price of oil, like most commodities, are determined by speculators in the major stock exchanges. Sen. Clinton is too smart not to know this. The oil producers neither determine the price of the oil they sell, nor do they determine the price of such major capital purchases like military tanks, fighter jets, helicopters, etc. That sounds like double jeopardy.

May 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. Independent

Boooooo Hooooo. Was she able to shed a tear or no?

May 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. Helen

Come Wolf...remember the questioner who asked "how do you do it" and Hillary pushed out that fake sympathy mess.

Please stay focus and don't get caught in her web. Chelsea has not done anything that any other daughter wouldn't do for her mother.

Give me a break...Chelsea didn't even know how to answer questions from her own peers.

Two words: Monica Lewinsky

May 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. julie - oakland, ca

the best of both...resilient and caring...

we need a woman to take care of things!!!

May 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. new voter

Good, now let the democrats look ahead and unite.

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  23. nathan

Crying Again. OH NO! Don't think we need a commander in chief who might break down and cry. JEZZ

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  24. Mark Anthony

Here we go with the tears and you know what that mean, all the oooooo,aaaaaa,mmmmmmmmm. Here they come, but the most important thing she said in interview was that it would be a "grave mistake" if her supporter voted for McCain in Nov.

Unify the party and stop with this stupid name calling and nonsense!

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Darryl

She is unable to tell the truth she lied to coverup Bill Clinton Affair with Monica Lewinski, she lied about travelgate, she lied about whitewater, the Venice Foster killing and now she wants to be honest. I don't believe her....

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |