May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Marlene

In the name of professional journalism, you might wish to make your bias towards the Clintons somewhat less obvious. It just might help repair your damaged credibility.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Mike from Westchester

There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Per CNN: Hillary Clinton said it would be a "terrible mistake" for her supporters to vote for John McCain over Barack Obama. “I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that anyone who supported me ... understands what a grave error it would be not to vote for Sen. Obama."

May 14, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Sharon Minnesota

If Hillary only knew how the Obama people have trashed her, I'm not so sure she would have been so generous in the Wolf interview. She must not be reading CNN's blogs.

May 14th, 2008 4:19 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Hillary needs to read the CNN blogs to find out how the Obama supporters feel about her and her family. She may forgive but I do not.

May 14th, 2008 3:25 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    My first choice of a candidate for president is Hillary Clinton but I cannot agree with her that we should support Barack Obama. Realize it or not John McCain is closer to a moderate democrat than she can admit due to her commitment to the democratic party. I, on the other hand am not bound by any party any more. I used to be, sorry no longer.

The democratic party is like humpty dumpty broken and damaged beyond repair. I can't believe that the pundants and the DNC bigwigs are still trying to put it back together before the General Election.

Obama supporters have pushed the democratic humpty dumpty over the edge of the wall of hope and change with their hypocrisy.

May 14, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Joe, Northern Virginia

Ohhhh yea... Whatever.....!!!

May 14, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Randy

*is nauseous* Nice job of fawning, though, Wolf.

May 14, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. NO-BAMA

HILLARY WILL ALWAYS BE AMERICA'S "FIRST-LADY"
    AND
    CHELSEA WILL ALWAYS BE AMERICA'S "FIRST-DAUGHTER"

GOOD JOB HILLARY RAISING YOUR DAUGHTER TO BE SO EXQUISITE!

OREGON
    HILLARY

May 14, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Sophia

She should save the crocodile tears for her concession speech!

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Rho

and to think, Wolf, we thought you were part of the "educated americans"....can't believe you fell for this trick and actually reported it as "newsworthy".

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. BIBI HENNA

THANKS WOLF YOU FINALY GOTED.
    THAT HILLARY IS GREAT.

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. raf

I love how Wolf says they talked about several substantive issues, but then he chooses to focus only on the emotional angle.

Good work, Wolf!

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Sarah, Florida

DOES HILLARY REALLY BELIEVE IN THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS???????!

SHE WANT TO OVERTURNED THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS IN HER QUEST FOR POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE POPULAR VOTE HAVE SPOKEN######
    THE NUMBER OF PLEDGE & ELECTED DELEGATES HAVE######
    THE MAJORITY OF STATES WON HAVE SPOKEN#########

YET SHE SHOULD BE ELECTED BASED ON THE FACT THAT HER SUPPORTERS ARE RACIST; IT IS HER BIRTH RIGHT AND NOT BASED ON THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS!!

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. fontapa

Gee, what a hard hitting substantive question you tossed her there.

"So tell me, Candidate XYZ, how do you feal about springtime, babies, and rainbows?"

What's she gonna say, "nah, I hate the kid, really"???

One might ask what possible reason you'd ask it besides to generate EXACTLY the video-bite moment you did. What did you hope to acheive other than to engineer a "human" moment for her?

Just wondering if you think your job as a journalist should really be about asking rhetorical questions that are designed purely to help the candidate sell themselves.

May 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  13. Griff

It's a shame! She would make a Dam Good Republican. Still she has made her choice.. Whatever she does in the future.. The Door's will open wide... She is so genuine and sincere..

May 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  14. Moz

I do think Clinton has found the right words for her daughter. Even though things are unclear for her mother, she has worked so much for her mother in hard hard time and she has bright future in politics of this nation. This is my opinion.

May 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  15. Ray Ito

Yeah, she's an incredible mother – that what she should be. Not a U.S. president who's always tearing up before world leaders.

"Oh I remember when I visited your husband in the White House in 1993 – but he has white hair now, mamm." ( Then Hillary tearing up).

May 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. SHELIA

THANK YOU WOLF. I KNOW SHE LOVES HER DAUGHTER. SHE NEED TO BE TOUGHT IF SHE WANTS TO BE A PRESIDENT . I ADMIRE HER SHE IS SUCH A FIGHTER AND THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY FREE RIDE THE MEDIA GIVE OBAMA AND HOW THEY PUT HER DOWN SHE IS STANDING AND FIGHTING FOR WHAT SHE BELIVES. SHE REALLY WANT TO PUT UP THIS COUNTRY, IS JUST A PITY THAT SOME PEOPLE DO NOT SEE HOW MUCH THIS WOMAN LOVES THIS CONTRY AND WANT TO CHANGE AND WANT TO BRING UP THIS COUNTRY.IT REALLY COMES FROM HER HEART.SHE IS NOT DOING THIS BECAUSE SHE IS A POLICTIAN BECAUSE SHE CARES AND SHE WILL GIVE ALL HER BEST TO FIX THIS COUNTRY AGAIN. I AM SO AFRAID THAT THE DOMOCRAT PARTY GOING TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND WILL NOT BRING US NO WERE.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. Ray Ito

Yeah, she's an incredible mother – that's what she should be. Not a U.S. president who's always tearing up before world leaders.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. say no to the haters!

Ok Obama supporters. Don't start with all the hate. Give the lady some slack. She deserves our respect just like Obama is giving her. Unless you think he is just being a politician??? It is time to unify and she has called off the attack dogs and so has he.

Obama 08

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Jeff

Come on Wolf, get a clue. She played you just like she's been playing everyone else. HRC doesn't have a sincere bone in her body. I thought you knew better Wolf. You must be losing your edge.

May 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Independent

It was a touching moment, and that was real. However, I do not believe what she said, and I blame her for dividing the Democratic Party. If the Democrats do not win, I will be pointing my findger directly at Sen. Clinton and hew campaign.

May 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Tired of W, OH

Seriously CNN. Why do you have 2 items in the ticker about Hillary getting choked up?!? Is it really that news-worthy?

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. not my real name because CNN censors me

Wolf, you know I've watched you for years and honestly held you in very high regard until recently. Your obvious pandering to Clinton disgusts me and I find it offensive. You use words like "crush" and "landslide" to describe her victory in W. Virginia when we of intelligence know exactly why she won. You also know why she won. You're far from ignorant.
    Report the truth Mr. Blitzer. It might well set you free.

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. Mike

Obama supporters are missing having a great person as Hillary as our president. If Obama had not had backstabbed her and ran against her like he said he would not, I am sure she would have picked him as her VP and I would have voted for him after Hillary's terms were up.

As it stands now, I will never, ever vote for Obama.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. Kristin from Dallas

First of all, I am an Obama supporter, but I thought this was a good interview and I was pleased with the tone.

Mr. Blitzer, I do have one question though, why didn't you jump on her statement regarding the required number of delegates? Senator Clinton said that 2209 delegates were needed to become the nominee as if that were always the number, not 2026 (which includes the new Representative from Mississippi).

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. Tony Z- MD

Why does she believe that she would? There is nothing to support her claim. She has been in elected office 6 years.

May 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |