May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. NANITO

I THINK THIS IS ANOTHER DISPLAY OF MANUFACTURED EMOTION. SHE DOES THESE THINGS VERY EASILY, WITH NO GUILT OR SHAME. REMEMBER THAT SHE LIED, WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, ABOUT DUCKING AND RUNNING TO AVOID SNIPER FIRE IN BOSNIA.

May 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. gobsmacked

Great she's a human being with real emotions. She still has other qualities that are less desirable. Dishonesty, ruthlessness are a couple that come to mind. Not to mention entitlement...should I go on?

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  3. TH

THE CLINTONS ARE FULL OF IT.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. Berat (Pronounced buh-RAHT), Park Ridge, IL

Wolf, you are useless. Why didn't you ask her if she felt like this was New Hampshire when she "choked up?"

Sorry, Hillary supporters, but this is ridiculous. I simply don't understand why she'd tear up, except that here, they might be the real tears of one who is nearing the end of his/her journey. That being the case, she's run a fine, if fatally flawed, campaign, and she's coasting down now to a comfortable 35mph before shutting down the car altogether.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. LR Dallas

Dont' we all have two sides. Her's is just a little rougher than most. Just as Obama has a hard line that he has to walk, so does Hillary. Unfortunately, Hillary can break down and be human. However, how would American react if Obama was to show any real emotion everytime he has to hear all the polls that show americans wont vote for him based on race. I guess it's easier to find humanity in a tough woman than it is to find a little for the african american candidate.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. dz in Austin

This is not an excuse for the Obamanutz to call her names, make fun of her, or try to portray this as a political ploy. Shame on you if you do.

I'm a strong, thoughtful (surprise!) educated woman and I get misty eyed over my children. Not for any policital advantage, or for sympathy. It's pride. I hope you have some in your children. I even hope you children still have pride in you when this is all over.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. jenkins

I'm rethinking my support for Obama.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Steve

It's very nice to know that a tough, seasoned political journalist like yourself, Wolf can also be a man of deep feelings. Good for you for sharing those feelings. Your mom should be proud of you, as well!

May 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. bash

Booh hoo, Hillary cries–again. Iguess this will buy her a few votes somewhere. In Scranton it was Boilermaker Betty,then she became the paner bear on the back of a pick up truck and we get the warm and fuzzy cookie baker. I know that there are many aspects to each person but unfortunately to me all aspects of Hillary seem contrived and phony.

May 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Amber

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON! And Chelsea for that matter. I am so excited to go home and watch your interview w/ her tonight Wolf. :)

I'm all smiles. She is the most amazing woman! It brings tears to MY eyes to watch and listen to her.

Thank you for not being amongst the Obama-loving, Hillary-hating journalists this year. You are one of 3 that I still have respect for!!! And that hateful, pessimistic Jack Cafferty...he has no place on a show like yours. I often wonder "why" him, Wolf? Moron.

HILLARY 2008 (lovin' you Sen. Clinton)

May 14, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Ardnuas

It's touching to YOU because you are trying to get her elected. When she said the delegates needed to win is 2209.... YOU said NOTHING, you know is 2025!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama/Hagel ( I want Chuck Hagel to be VP)

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. 4 Hillary

I watched your video, Wolf. Great. Can't wait to see the whole thing on my DVR tonight when I get home.

I know she wants us all to unify. But I'm a die-hard supporter and I can't vote for Obama. I'll write Hillary's name in on the ballot if she's not the VP. I just can't stand Obama AT ALL.

When in our history has there ever been a nomination race this tight? And if there was – did the media and party leaders try to force the candidate out of the race? I doubt it.

Hillary's been treated too unfairly throught this process.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. mario

hillary we love you , you must be nominee , keep going and superdelegates will support you

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. george

What a joke. Lets get the tissues yet again. And lets talk about Chelsea but not about who you can't win this race. What a joke Blitz.

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Damion K. Miles

For anybody who thinks that gender doesn't play a role in this, you're crazy. How many people would have ridiculed a male nominee for crying on national television? He would be considered weak! If a woman cries, she emotional. This country is not ready for our leader to cry in front of the whole world. To paraphrase Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own..."there's no crying in politics". Save that for behind closed doors, Hillary. Your husband did some of the worst things that a husband could do to his wife and you didn't bat an eye. But, in this election you've cried at least twice. What is it with you?

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. MK

Please don't bring emotions into this. It's just not the place. Wolf, be fair, and ask Obama about his family as well.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. tom

so what many mothers are

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. carolyn

I love Hillary as a person and a mom and a all around human being. I'll behind her all the way. I refuse to vote for obama not because he's black ,I just feel that it would end up being another carter presidency. I also think he doesn't have the experience to handle the repubs. They'll eat him up and we'd still end up with the repubs running the country.

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. Chelsea 2020

Wolf,
    I think Chelsea do not deserve to leave the whitehouse. It is breaking her mother's hearth.
    Maybe if Hillary can't win now, we will vote for Chelsea in 2020.

Clintons-Bushs for ever!

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. She's still losing!

Get off her bra strap please. She's still behind in EVERY way and yet she gets treated as the winner. The media really should stop adding to her false hopes of winning this election.

May 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. RT

WHY IS CNN STILL REPORTING STORY AFTER STORY ABOUT CLINTON. SHE IS DONE. ITS OVER. SHE'S A "HAS-BEEN". YOU ARE THE ONLY POLITICAL NEWS ORGANIZATION GIVING HER THE TIME OF DAY. EVERYONE ELSE IS FOCUSED ON THE GENERAL ELECTION. STOP KEEPING HER CAMPAIGN ON LIFE SUPPORT. PULL THE PLUG!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. AH

Still grinding the same message. If she's the stronger candidate against McCain, why has she never polled higher than Obama in national polls?

I hope she's sincere about Chelsea, but I'm not buying it. I'm sure she's proud of her, but her tears have always been so strategic. I kind of wish the media would quit reporting on it... CNN has 2 articles posted for crying out loud.

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

EVEN MORE NEW NEWS FROM: HUFFINGTON POST:

The Obama campaign has announced a "major national endorsement" for a rally tonight at 7pm in Michigan, and the rumor mill is swirling that it is none other than Sen. John Edwards. Time's Mark Halperin is teasing as much at his Web site, with a photo of Edwards and the text, "Ready to choose? Ready to hope?"

Edwards has certainly dropped some hints in recent days. He's chided Hillary Clinton over her comments about race, said he can't figure out how Clinton could ever win the nomination, and even said he planned to endorse the person he voted for in North Carolina's primary, using (it seems) the word "him."

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. RT

WHY ARE THERE TWO STORIES ABOUT THIS ON THE TICKER???

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. Jimmy VALENTE

M. BLITZER,
    I love your emissions and your interventions. I follow all your interviews that you master so well, but please, we have to adjusat our mind by admitting Senator Barak as winner.
    If Barak was at the place of Hillary, he will dropped from the race along time ago.
    She should admit his experience but she is pretentious, selfish and stuburn

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |