May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Djools from the Netherlands

Do I read a tear in your words too Wolf?

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Sarah, Florida

IT IS CLEAR THAT HILLARY DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE DEMOCRACY?

SHE WANTS TO OVERTURN THE PROCESS IN HER QUEST FOR POWER!

POPULAR VOTE–STATES WON AND PLEDGE DELEGATES AND NOW SUPER DELEGATES HAVE SPOKEN!

IF OBAMA WAS IN HER POSITION WOULD SHE WANT THE PROCESS TO BE OVERTURNED IN HIS FAVOR?

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. RT

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT OUR NOMINEE IS DOING. WHERE IS HE CAMPAIGNING? WHO ARE HIS LATEST ENDORSEMENTS? HOW DO HIS VIEWS ON POLICY DIFFER FROM THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE? GET WITH THE NOW CNN!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Blackwoman, Ohio

Awww I still love the Clinton's !!!

I just cant wait for this election to be over. The media has tried to completely destroy them and I feel bad for Hillary and Bill.

I think she should see it through to the end of the race. She is an incredible candidate and competitor.

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. WOW

wow what an act. What some people do for power. It be very dangerous to see her with power in White House.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Tanenpo Happy

Here comes New Hampshire Round 2.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

HILLARY, WE LOVE YOU. KEEP GOING HILLARY
    USE WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN THE WHITEHOUSE – LIES, RACISM, CHANGE THE RULES, GENDER, WHATEVER.

OBAMA IS UNELECTABLE. HE CAN'T WIN.
    SAVE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

HILLARY READY ON DAY 1 TO LIE AND CHEAT.

HILLARY'S COUSIN IS MUGABE- ZIMBABWE – THE ELECTION IS NOT FAIR UNLESS SHE WIN.

HILLARY ALL THE WAY

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. henry odimuko italy

don,t worry hillary chelsea will be the first woman president.for now,we all should support obama.people loves your family.cheers

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. Jason

Not this time!

It's all fake, a well polled and meticulously calculated attempt to throw dust in our eyes again.

Not this time!

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  10. Jean, CANADA

Blitzer..........Let's talk about Politics...leave the Familiy counciling to Dr. Phil.

Hillary a closet bigtot??

Your "comments" have been duely noted and will be recorded for all historians to reflect on in the future....doing and saying anything to win will cost you...

OBAMA 08, 12...the TRUTH

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. FRANK

GO HILLARY!!

DONT LET OBAMA STEEL THE ELECTION!!

OBAMA STOLE A PAGE FROM THE GOP... HE DOES NOT WANT TO COUNT FLORIDA AND MICH. I THOUGHT THAT ONLY THE GOP DID NOT WANT VOTES TO COUNT..

COUNT THE VOTES!!!

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. Belle

Wolf,
    Thank you for the interview with Senator Clinton.

But I have a question for CNN. Why can't you just take the candidate's words for what they are....the explanations for what they really mean?

Why do you have to call in analysts to dissect every single line or comment?

Do you really believe your viewers aren't smart enough to make their own judgments?

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  13. Heidi in Houston

Sorry about the earlier sound effects from me, but I truly don't believe her anymore when it comes to human emotion. I've been duped by this once already. I think it was back in NH.

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. Dems `08!

It was touching, and I think she is a very very strong woman and I admire how much strength she has-this has to be hard on anyone who goes through this.

Obama 08!

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. jonny

i cant believe there are TWO articles about how Hillary cried because she loves her daughter. GET SOME REAL NEWS, CNN.

May 14, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  16. Sweetie pie

Wow Wolf what a scoop, Hillary loves her kid! If you have nothing to say then don't.

May 14, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Karin

Yes......it is something ever mother looks forward to with their child or children.....That moment that the child and mother can come toghter on the same page working together and looking for the same out come....thats a moment that you can look back as a mother and think about it with much pride in your child ....so .....This is a moment that Hillary will have with her forever.....and what a moment it is........

May 14, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Concerned Canadian

Gee ...I hope the Obama supporters don't come on here too and call Hillary all sorts of dirty names and use all sorts of vulgarity and say untruths about a person they do not even personally know.

What harm has Hillary done to anyone ? Thats right..nothing..I thought so.

May 14, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  19. show me

yea right we all know hillbillary is an actress and a liar who changes her persona at givin whim

May 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. Laura

I hate when she does this! She tugs at my heartstrings and makes me feel guilty for not supporting her.

I am 110% behind Senator Obama and have been for a while now, but I do respect Senator Clinton, and I feel bad for her. I know how long she has planned for this and I think she bears a lot of the blame for running on a strategy of inevitability and expecting a coronation instead of a competitive primary. That being said, it will be sad to watch her give up her dream if she eventually drops out. I hate that we had to choose between her and Obama this year.

May 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. TED

Hillary we will always love ya! But I can't vote for Obama he doesn't represent my view of the great counrtry.

God Bless America, God Bless Hillary!!

We love you soo much for everything you have fought for and stand for!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Hoss

This really makes me want to rhrow up.

May 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  23. JR Veteran from New York City, NY

Mr. Wolf, Mr. John King, and the rest of the CNN, please continue the good works that you have been doing for the Clintons. They deserved CNN admiration. I don't understand that you all cannot comprehend that it's over for Senator Clinton. Give her any airtime that she wanted to. Pump her like a balloon and make her ego by the size of China. All that won't help. Advise her to leave the race!

May 14, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. Amanda

Dear Wolf Blitzer

Hillary Clinton is not going to win the nomination no matter how desperately you attempt to change the dynamic by inducing another touching 'New Hampshire' moment.

End of story.

May 14, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. me in dc

Another New Hampshire moment brought to you by Hillary Clinton.

May 14, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |