May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day.

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Ronald

Oh please Wolf, your bulge is showing.

May 14, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Bobby tray

Sigh. .. . Clinton is like that relative you try to avoid at family functions. But guess who is there right in front of you when you leave the bathroom.

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. Indy Voter

Wow Wolf! Why don't you just ask her to marry you?

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. s. chamberlain

Everyone keeps bring up the fact that Florida and Michigan's votes should be counted but there is another large set of Americans who were not even allowed to vote due to the state they reside in. Rules are rules...if those two states are counted, then the registered Independents who were denied this privledge should be allowed to vote. All Americans should have the freedom to vote in the primaries and have their choice counted.

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. NY Dem

Very nice.. Indeed, very touching. I wish her well!

Time to unite the party!

Obama 2008/2012!!!

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. sara michelle b.

Thank you for sharing your first hand account of the moment, Wolf. It is touching and very real.

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Wolf, don't you know she is not allowed to feel emotional. The Obama-bots will call her names again, as in the past. They will call a brief moment of emotion as major tears. Why is Obama suddenly wearing a flag pin? He wouldn't be pandering now would he? Nah, he's above that

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  8. NickNas

BS

May 14, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. Bella H.

Only a politician would be so crude and tasteless as to use her child to get votes in an election. The Clintons are truly the scum of the earth.

May 14, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  10. Richard

As usual, Wolf is in the tank for Hillary. No news here.

May 14, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. Jane

Disingenuous

May 14, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. I Believe

I actually believe her feelings are real and the emotion is genuine. She's a mom and her daughter is a joy for her. Stop diminishing that with the nasty comments.

I am not a Hillary supporter but she does deserve respect. There has been a lot of sexist crap in this primary and is has been overlooked and race took the front burner.

She has done something that has never done before, she can be proud of that. I give her that. Now it is time for her to quietly, and mean quietly, finish the rest of the states voting and end her campaign.

May 14, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. Bob

Come on Wolf, don't tell me you are falling for the tears gig...Surely sane rational people won't fall for that old chestnut again!

May 14, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. The Rat

Who moved my cheese? That is a good book. Sort of like as soon as I get near the goal someone moves the goal posts. Man you have to feel for Hillary. If she doesn't cry she is a hard women. If she does
    cry she is too soft to be President. Can't win for nothing.
    So now we only have one choice. John S. McCain.

May 14, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. Victoria from MA

Isn't it a bit selfish to waste millions upon millions when it's been obvious for quite a while that it's over? Who and what does such frivolity serve?

May 14, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. Democrat

Great interview! If only she was more like this on the campaign trail – she wouldn't have turned so many people off.

I'm for Obama – but I'd vote for her if she won.

And I'm a mother of a daughter – so her reaction was not fake, it was real pride and real love.

May 14, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. I wish my vote would count like yours....from Florida

Wow CNN you already removed my posting just because I said CNN is BIAS

May 14, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. ladylove

It is obvious that CNN loves to report every little thing that HILLARY does. Now the headlines for today is Hillary's eyes gets moist and she is emotional. I can't beleive it. It was also reported that she won a big victory in Virginia and it was really a small win if that. How luck she is to be so favored by CNN. Does this mean her daughter qualify for VP of the US now.

May 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Aces full of Kings

And with John Edwards endorsement of Obama, today, the last of the pieces have fallen into place. Obama '08

May 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  20. Don

CRY CRY CRY

I want to know 1 thing, is she goin to be responsible for paying her debt or is the public goin to have to bale her out. I hope not. As far as I'm concerned if she wants to continue to run ALL her advertising should be cash up front. NO MORE CREDIT FOR HER. 10million is already to much debt

May 14, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. Shirley, Silicon Valley, CA

So, this is the opposite side of Hillary from that MEET ME IN OHIO!

Surely this woman is BIPOLAR!

May 14, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. Sherri

It is very good to see how much Senator Clinton loves her daugher. It is also terrific to see the way the Chelsea Clinton supports her mother. That is the way it should be.

I am a strong, dedicated supporter of Senator Obama. That will not change, ever.

That does not mean that I can't be moved by family caring and love when I see it. All of the candidates are trying their hardest. They have put it all on the line and they will all be bruised and battered before this is over. I respect all three (Obama, Clinton and McCain) for daring to try to lead this nation.

We all watched Chelsea grow up. She is a great American daughter and we can all be proud of her.

Go Obama!!!

May 14, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. slim

so ridiculous how CNN wants to play nicey nicey with hillary now after months of completely biased campaign coverage in favor of obama.

here come the no-life hillary haters....

May 14, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  24. glane

I can't believe how most americans can be shallow. americans voted for bush for 2 terms against Kerry. Now americans are voting for obama – based on his charms and rhetoric speeches. Please look past beyond the appearance. Hillary , obviously has the experience of how to get things done in the white house (she has travelled accross the world and got to see and experience what is working and not working in this country). Her commitment of helping people even from her early years justifies how she wants America to go in the right direction – that is solving the real problems – jobs, global warming, healthcare, education, oil, retirements.....american needs real solutions...

Hillary 08

May 14, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  25. sharon

Obama supporters are unkind and consistently have UGLY remarks about Clinton....I will NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA, because I do not want a President that attract these types of people...including Rev. Wright and all of the others....unify the Democrats how? with people like that are so unkind I don't think so.........

May 14, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |