May 14th, 2008

Blitzer: A touching moment in today's Clinton interview

Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.
Blitzer: Clinton told me she's in it until the end.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On this day after Hillary Clinton’s landslide victory over Barack Obama in West Virginia, I sat down with her in Washington. We had a wide-ranging interview on several substantive issues, including the economy, gas prices, the war in Iraq, and her race for the White House. “We’re going to finish this process,” she said. “I still believe I’d be a better president and the stronger candidate against Senator McCain.”

But it was a very personal matter that sparked a more emotional response from Senator Clinton. I asked her about her daughter Chelsea and the amazing work that she has been doing for her mother on the campaign trail. I was CNN’s White House correspondent back in 1993 when Bill Clinton became president. Chelsea was then a little girl. But now she’s a grown woman.

I asked Senator Clinton what goes through her mind when she sees her daughter working as hard for her campaign as she does.

“It’s one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother,” she replied, her eyes beginning to get moist. “I get very emotional. She is an exceptional person, and she’s worked so hard, and she’s done such a good job that I’m just filled with pride every time I look at her.”

Watch me interview Senator Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on The Situation Room.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. JAMES IN BAMA

NOBAMA 08'

NOBAMA 08'

HILLARY OR BUST

May 14, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. SDW

Oh, please! Here we go again! She is such an actress! Hey, that's it! Since this Presidency thing is not working out, how about taking your behind to Hollywood, Hillary. You would do really well there! Just a suggestion . . . . .

May 14, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. OBAMA SUPPORTER

JOHN EDWARDS JUST ENDORCEDS OBAMA

YEAAAAAAAAAAA

May 14, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

Barack doesn't cry.

May 14, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Georgia for Change

She should be proud of her daughter. They have raised her well. Now is the time to demonstrate humility and consideration of the greater good. Her lesson to Kelsey now is to bow out with grace, and mend fences for that greater good - Barack Obama's chance to be elected President in November.

Good observation Wolf.

There is absolutely nothing wrong reflecting on the humanity that is rarely seen.

May 14, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  6. Every Wilson

I do not trust Hillary Clinton, she is a liar, thief, deceiver, charlatan, hypocrite, bigot, divisive, polarizing, manipulator and a strong candidate for racist whites in West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and other states to be President of the United States. I can see how she will bring the country together now! Her tears, I believe were for real, no more campaigning, no white house, no presidency and no 2012 run because she messed that up too!

May 14, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. faye, NV

Hillary that was a dumb thing you said, I feel that you begin all the racist comment. You have divided the party and you feel that you are better then Obama, not just as a better person for president but better all around. I feel that you are a racist.

May 14, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Susan

Excellent article, Wolf. You are a superb reporter. I don't think she pushed this emotional moment on you but rather that you pulled it out of her. Good for you. You are fair and honest.
    I don't understand why Obama supporters have such deep animosity toward her. Do they really love Obama or do they simply detest Clinton. It is very sad. Either one would be a good president, Hillary the best.
    Hillary 2008!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Venus The Super star

It's true and she has every right to to feel the way she does about her duaghter.

May 14, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Carolyn

Hillary, I am crying too – because you are such a fake and because CNN is losing all credibility...get off the Hillary bandwagon.

May 14, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. Bryan

Get over yourself, Wolf.

She had planned to choke up well ahead of your interview. it had nothing to do with you.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. KD

Obama supporters have done much more crying and whining than Hillary has ever done. And come Nov, if he is the nominee, they'll be doing a lot more of it.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. Goody - Oregonians 4 Hillary

Bella H.
    You are a typical, non-productive blogger who has nothing intelligent to say. Get a life!

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Sarah

If she's so emotional about Mother/Daughter relationships, why didn't she spend Mother's Day with her own mother??? Give me a break about Hillary's emotions. It's all about making women feel for her and, unfortunately, it works with a a lot of them. I'm a woman, the same age as her and I never had any kind of problem in my work or personal life for being one. What women does she talk about who are so disadvantaged because of their gender anyway?? Who are these women who feel so sorry for her because her husband cheated on her? It happens to thousands of women every day and I'm sure they are just as strong as Hillary. Also, she talks about these "uneducated" people voting for her. She must think they are all "stupid" but if she can con them, she's happy. She is a soul-less person.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  15. cynthia

this is my first time to vote after i become a US citizen. I am voting for Hilary because i think she is has vision for our nations future. it would be a shame if she wont be able to get the nomination. Obama needs a lot of work to show his substance before i will vote for him

May 14, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  16. Every Wilson

She deserves an ACADEMY AWARD FOR HER PERFORMANCE NOT PRESIDENCY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

May 14, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  17. Independent for Obama

Your comment is awaiting moderation. WHY CNN?
    ********************** EVERYONE!! *************************

Please be nice to each other, and respectful of Hillary Clinton.

She's taken a lot of time out of her life to run for the presidency and try to do what she thinks is best for the country.

Name calling and nastiness never won anyone any friends.

May 14, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  18. Pam

Is she going to cry again when Edwards endorses Obama tonight? Or will she send Carville out to insult Edwards?

May 14, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. Jean

Sobbb! What A blow hard, She makes me wanna puke...!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Please!

PLEASE! How fake can we get!

May 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Lori

Hey, Jeffie in Hampshire, IL: Barack doesn't cry, but he does deceive, con, spin, fake, pose, dupe, and in general win over every gullible person in the country.

Too bad . . . for those of us who aren't so easily fooled.

May 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. tammy

I am so tired of these constant Hillary bashing. Even though Hillary has shown us that she's strong and a fighter, she is still a human being just like all of us and she is allowed to show a little emotions.

May 14, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Lilarose In Oregon

I was hoping Edwards would NOT endorse ANYONE!

I wish I had not wasted my time to go see him when he was in Oregon in 2004.

I feel so betrayed.

Yesterday I switched from Dem to Independent.

I will write in Hillary in November.

May 14, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  24. lily

what do all these theatres mean ,Mr. Blitzer. Everybody knows that a daughter helps her mother because she is her mother and and to be specific , a daughter helps her mother to be the president of USA .She has a lot to lose if her mother won't be the nominee.
    Why do you want to dramatize a certain thing? They want to go back to the White House and it is certainly very sad and catastrophic for them if they see that it won't be possible.
    Your words:
    "It was such a very human and touching mother-daughter kind of moment. She may be a tough politician and a real fighter but she’s also a loving mother, and that came through on this day."
    You know Mr. Blitzer , I think you want to mobilize some tears in the eyes of some whilte color Americans and I think , you yourself won't be very happy if Obama wins the nominee and the presidency. And be sure he will win.

May 14, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. Unreadable

Oh come on. She can choke up whenever she wants to.

May 14, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |