May 14th, 2008

Clinton picks up a superdelegate, but still lags behind

Hilary Clinton picked up another superdelegate Wednesday.
Hilary Clinton picked up another superdelegate Wednesday.

(CNN)— Fresh off of her victory in West Virginia, Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton picked up her first superdelegate endorsement since last week.

Vicky Harwell, president of the Tennessee Federation of Democratic Women said Clinton’s victory in West Virginia helped make her decision apparent.

“Hillary’s decisive victory in West Virginia is the latest evidence that she is the strongest candidate to take on John McCain and win back the White House,” Harwell said in a statement released by the Clinton campaign. “Hillary has the plans, leadership and experience to deliver real results as president.”

This is Clinton’s first superdelegate nod since May 9, while Democratic rival Barack Obama has seen a wave of 26 superdelegate endorsements in the past week. With 2,025 delegates needed to clinch their party’s nomination, Clinton has 1,718 and Obama has 1,884 according to the latest CNN estimates.

1. Mony G

How about HC running for Governor of WV!!! She needs to think about her future and I think she would make a great governor there. One superdel a week won't do it Hillary so just take all your hypocrite supporters who won't support Obama and take them to WV. Since African Americans and Latinos are no longer able to be "blue collar" workers anymore WV is the perfect place to start" Hillary 2016". Think about all the older white votes she'll get then. Hopefully she won't have to face the next Barack Obama in 2016.

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Lisa:

BS. Thirty dollars over the course of three months is NOT a lot of money for anyone. Surely you can make up the thirty dollars somewhere else that doens't involve destroying the country's infrastructure and putting 300,000 people out of work.

People like you are what's wrong with the US elctorate – you believe everything you hear, don't put any additional thought into it, and are so bent on having your vote sold to the lowest bidder, you'll sell out the rest of the country to do it.

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Tired of W, OH

OK, I'll add my name to the list of people on this blog that are calling CNN biased for . You're becoming as "fair and balanced" as Fox Noise!

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Texan for Progression

"Obama can't win in November b/c he doesn't appeal to white voters. I'm a white man and I won't vote for him in November. Get ready for another 4 years of Republican rule". The fact is, Obama may not win if HRC's core demographic supporters (blue collar workers)overwhelmingly take this position. Now, I'm not the one to call that demographic racist, but help me understand why it is that they would subject themselves to "another four years of replublican rule" as opposed to voting in a candidate whose policies are nearly identical to their preferred candidate's policies. Even more, explain how a reasonable "blue collar worker" – who suffers at the hand of free trade agreements – would support a candidate whose husband has a proven, verifiable track record of implementing, and currently earns a living lobbying for free trade agreements. I don't know your hearts and minds, but your actions and words suggest that you are racially motivated in your decision process. "IF" this is the case for the ~ 40 some odd percent of HRC's supporters, America is in worse condition than what any single candidate can repair. Particularly the one who employees racial divide as leverage to secure the party's nomination.

May 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Fitz

Ok you report Clinton got 1, how come I had to read on Yahoo that Obama got 3?

May 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Suhail

Who cares about what Obama does or gets. America just doesn't get it; the man doesn't have the experience to be hired as president.

I don't know about the rest of you that voted for Obama, but I can endure another 4 years of the same Bush B.S.

Superdelegate who are men, snap out of it and vote for a woman for a change!!!

May 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. HH

WOW WHAT A SUPERDELAGATE to get.
    Im impressed Vicky Harwell YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!

That should bring them all to you.

May 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. Jo Ann

P.S. It not a threat that a lot of democrats are just not going to vote someone into office they know nothing about. Most of Obamas votes were received before we knew about his Minister just for one example. More is to come too . I don't think most Dem will vote for a rep but they are not going to vote for Obama. We want change but you have to know that is a good change. The more we learn about Obama the worse he gets. If Obama is the candidate lets hope we don't learn anymore about him. :( lol.

Where is Raph Nadar when we finally might need him. lol.

May 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. lol

the superdelegates should be flocking to her after yesterdays blowout win in WV. Obama couldn't even win ONE single county in a huge state like WV. he will never get the core voters that hillary has, that are needed to win against mccain. he only wins big red states that the republican will get in the general. add him to the loser list of mondale,dukakis, gore and kerry.

May 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. steve

I think people need to take a look at Obamas background a little more it's very accomplished with character graduate from Harvard but chose to work for the poor an uneducated help promote Bill Clintons campaign was raised in the ghetto no father figure, the man has character thats needed the new polls suggest he is a favorite to beat John Mccain more than Clinton I think once people learn more about him they will sway to his side we know how this will end Obama will win Orgeon an SD, an clinton will win KY, PR, but will lose in delegates, superdelegates, and popular vote an will end up endorsing Obama for general election an will sway all her supporters for Obama an he will win the white house I dont think Mccain has enough clout, people get ready for a change that will benefit you!!!! Also CNN needs to report Obamas superdelegate lead do your job!!!!!

May 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Tim from Eugene OR.

After reading Joe Regis comment I blew coffee out of my nose! To funny Joe. I would have just told my one superdelegate to keep it to her self if all I had is one, after her huge win in redneck hallow. One is the lonleyest number.

Hillary supporters, why is she so behind if she is the best? How she got so far behind shows me how she would do as president. Our economy is already tanking, and her debt pile up alone is how I think she would lead our county.

Just because all the news outlets are getting big ratings out of her insistanse to divide our party dosn't make it ok. She has a right to stay in until the last state votes, but if she stays in after early June then she is going to cost us the presidency. All you Rush Lardbutt Hillary voters can stop pretending that you really want her to win now if you really want to hurt democrats. Because the truth is, it would really knock the wind out of Hillary supporters if the knew just how many of you were propping her up. That is why she is in debt, because you of Rush's clan are voting for her but not contributing to her with money. Thus the reason she is broke.

May 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. OBAMA

HELLO CNN HOW COME YOU DON'T MENTION THE SUPERDELAGATES OBAMA PICKED UP THIS MORNING? SO UNFAIR!!

May 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Yvette Ferguson

As an outsider looking in (I do not live in America), I am amazed at how your news stations continuously twist statistics and comments from both hillary and Barrack; while I know a lot of this is to generate more viewers which spells more advertising dollars, who in their right mind thinks a republican can speak on behalf of a democrat or independent?

Do the world some good, be seen as openly fair as possible, while I congratulate Mrs. Clinton on her win, a win that was not HOTLY contested, americans must be mindful of how close the presidential election is and the SUPER DELEGATES who are already starting to make their position known should continue to do so in an urgent manner.

May 14, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Ready to Vote!!

Tennessee, West Virginia – same foke

May 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Helen

CNN....as I am viewing your website today. I notice Sen. Obama delegate & SD totals have changed.

Please report where these new endorsement have come from. I would have to think your reporting information base on who winning. (Although that wouldn't be true b/c Barack is winning in every category)

Helen

May 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. Rebecca

Hillary won WV and the voters let it be known that race was the numberone factor. However, they must know that they no longer lead the country with that type of thinking. Even the rest of the state that WV is stuck to,Virginia trounced Hillary in the primary. Only a little over 250,000 people
    voted in WV. Thank goodness the voters of West Virginia aren’t the
    majority of America. I guess that’s why Senator Obama is winning.

May 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. watchdog

Tell me this endorsement wasn't a plant.
    "Okay, Vicky, right after the election, you come out with a statement saying that you were moved to support me because my big win in WV convinced you, okay?"
    This is so set up it's obscene.

Talk about lack of judgement.
    Does anyone really want this woman with her finger on the big red button, out to show everybody how tough and determined she is?

Let's vote for intelligence, discretion, and good judgement. Not for a person with a bad case of terminal narcissism.
    OBAMA 08

May 14, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. james

The people in West Virginia are intelligent people. They didn't drink Obama's kool-aid. Thanks West Virginia. Thanks Vicky Harwell.
    Waiting on a big win in Kentucky too. GOOOOOOOOOOO! Hillary!

May 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Desmond Sequeira

Vicky Harwell has every right to make a poor judgment based on the poor judgment of a small and peculiar segment of the vast American population

May 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. George

Come on Superdelegates vote for HIllary if you want too win in Novermber. Don't be Stupid delegates. They say that Obama has won more states. Yeah look at the population at these states. The republicans win most states in the General. It's all about the electorate baby. WAKE UP!!!!

May 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Vb

Are CNN articles written by journalists? Where is the article about all the superdelegates that Obama win today? if her win was 1-3 yesterday, his number of delegate win today 1 to 4 for Obama! Are you suppose to reports all the news or only the one you want? I was thinking that CNN was a real news channel but it seems to change. I listen now to MSNBC that cover both side of the stories.

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Deborah Houston, TX

Congradulations Hillary on your win and the one superdelegate you recieved today you are in deed a formitable opponent as my Future President Barack Obama said. I am taking a page out of his book and will too take the high road.

Hats off to our noble future President Barack Obama for your hard work on the campaign trail for fighting for me and my fellow Americans.

Thank you Michelle Obama for sharing your husband with us and your family now and the years to come. I look forward to supporting Obama in closing the deal in November and as a active participant in the process in the years to come. Thank you both for inspiring me to participated actively and completely in the process.

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. CT in CT

How can anyone say, with a straight face, that HRC is the "strongest" candidate?

She loses in popular vote.
    She loses in pledged delegates.
    She loses in super delegates.
    She loses in number of states won.
    She loses BIG TIME in fundraising and fund management.

Not only is her campaign in a reported debt of some $20 million, she has loaned her campaign a reported $11 million and, because she wants that back, her campaign is about $31 million in the hole.

Now is the time we need to come together.

Saying Bill Clinton wasn't the nominee until June when he first ran and that was "OK," when he won with 43% with the rest of the vote divided between Bush I and PEROT, is not indicative of the potential outcome this time. Perot garnered the majority of his support from Bushies.

We need time to heal, apparently mostly from HRC supporters who say they will stay home or vote for McCain, cutting off their noses to spite their faces, going against everything they and HRC claim to stand for.

Go figure!

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Ryan

CNN.. this is getting ridiculous. Why are you reporting Clinton's ONE superdelegate when Obama has picked up several today that you fail to mention?

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Bobby

I have been reading from other news sources and been reading blogs all day long. CNN ya'll are riddicoulus! BARACK OBAMA has been picking up SD's all day but not one mention of that even in discussions! Man I promise you! If Hill steals his nomination.................

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |