May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Michele C

Not this Time is right. Enough is enough. Go home now.

2. Barb Canada

The ugliness you exert will not help your candidate in November bloggers! A comment of hatred towards Hillary is a vote for McCain!

3. Ross, NJ

If she wants to make opponents to a woman commander-in-chief to have something to salivate over, then she's doing a good job. The leader of our military must be emotionally strong and not let them get in the way of their decision making. We've seen enough rash decisions from the Bush administration to last a lifetime. If terrorists strike our country or our interests is she going to make a good decision or break down crying? A serious candidate shouldn't have that be asked about them. Obama has had plenty of more things to overcome and he's remained strong and shows why he is clearly the best primary candidate.

4. Justin, TX

Are you guys kidding me? What mom doesn't choke up when talking about how proud they are of their children!?

Do you really feel the need to bash Senator Clinton because she is proud of her daughter growing up to be smart, successful, and proud of her mother? I don't understand where some people come off degrading Senator Clinton for something like this.

5. Sandra Goodwin

Great job in West Virginia, Senator Clinton. Keep going because some of us dumb old white women do recognize a true leader when we see one. Kudos to your daughter too.

6. From CA

We are proud of clintons.
    We are very grateful to clintons for all the great things they did to America.

Go Hillary !

Hillary '08

7. N Kannan

There she goes again with the tears!

I am sure there are many more suckers left out there, especially hardworking americans!

OBAMA08!

8. beachgirl

Hillary is a real person. It's funny how we reacted to our real emotions. Have you ever seen Obama laugh or do anything that indicates he is real????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Great to hear Hillary is so proud of her daughter, every real person should be proud of their offsprings, specially Hillary

9. Justin

Awww, isnt that convienent???We need a president that can handle things professionally not tearing up at every oppurtunity!

10. vjh

As a Mom myself, I too get emotional when it comes to my Daughter. Give her a break

11. Alexandra, PA

Every time I think about Hillary's never-ending campaign to ruin Obama, I get choked up, too.

12. George

yes we know it is very hard when a long held ambition beocmes almost impossible. how painful it is . we all know it. anyway, work hard and try to be a respected leader of democratic party.

13. 2 College Superdelegates Endorse Obama

Two superdelegates representing College Democrats of America endorsed Obama this morning – but CNN doesn't mention it – but CNN makes an article out of Hillary choking up?

14. granforchange

PLEASE , PLEASE GIVE IT A REST! DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR DAUGHTER AND DROP OUT GRACEFULLY.. THIS CRYING AND FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF IS NOT SETTING A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR WOMEN, DAUGHTERS, SISTERS AND GRANDMOTHERS..ENOUGH ALLREADY... ! OBAMA SUPORTER 08

15. Hanging Chad

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

BOO HOO. Enough already! John McCain spent years in a
    North Vietnamese POW camp and I've NEVER seen him cry.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

16. Tim

Oh for christ's sake.

17. Anonymous

This is all well and good, but from an entire interview, this is what we get as a sampler? I know they want us to tune in, but when he interviewed Obama we got some real substance as a teaser. Here, we get more attempts at sympathy.

18. Linda, Kentucky

It is very nice to be proud of your daughter. I can understand her emotions. But I wish she hadn't lost so much credibility.

19. Enlightened Voter

Trust me, it was fake. She'd probably sell her own daughter if she thought it would get her the White house.

20. George

They say that Obama is attracting younger voters. By the way his supporters have been blogging, rude, disrespectful and so on. You must be young voters acting childish. This is the reason why we don't need a child in the White House. Keep it up. We'll have the last laugh.

21. Woz - Los Gatos, CA

I wonder how she would feel about me as a son-in-law.

22. David

Aw geez...Boo hoo hoo! It worked the first time, I guess. (rolled eyes here).

I'm proud of my children too, but I don't cry when I mention it. Maybe that's because I mention it even when it is NOT to my political advantage to do so. But, then, being a father, I so rarely have to come off looking like a concerned, traditional mother. (more rolled eyes here).

23. Fla Sam

What a shame, she has pulled so many different personalities out of her hat that it is hard to believe she is being for real. I wish she would do the right thing for her party and Country and get behind BaracK Obama!

24. Pam

Oh come on! Tears won't save you this time, Hillary.

25. Nic

Again with the crying? Way to set women back thirty years, Ms. First Female President (not).