May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. LOLerskates

I think we need a president that breaks down in tears. That will strike fear into our enemies.

May 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Eyes

And this is news? She is milking every sentiment that she can. After all, a tear filled eye has brought votes in this election before this. But I can recognize crocodile tears.

May 14, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Chyrel Wallace-Jackson, Chicago Illinois

Hillary for the love of God do what is in the best interest of the American people, the country and the democratic party. In years to come when you have really had a chance to look at yourself and all the devision you have caused, and all the many hateful things that you have done and said during this campaign I hope you have a real moment of self reflection and feel bad about it all. It's just terrible that Chelsea would have to witness such ugly behavior from someone that used to be such a highly esteemed person of substance. I feel real bad about that.

4. EndtheClintonEra!

Drama queen. She'll do or say whatever is needed to get her votes. It's amazing to me to see how racist the West Virginia population seem to be .... sad to see in 2008. I thought we were behind that by now.

5. Duane, WA

Poor little rich girl....playing the cry card

6. MovingOn

She should be proud of her daughter. Although I don't care for her Hillary's personality I care even less for McCain and I am glad Obama has pretty much won. Let's pull this thing together and change the course of our nation. I am so tired of the loss of hope I have felt. It's time to feel good about ourselves again and work toward a new future!

7. J J

Do you want a president who cries when the phone rings at 3:00 am?

8. Kitty

You people are so cruel! Hillary is very proud of her daughter, and we are proud of both of them.

9. frank

If these elections are redone, Hillary will win. But it may be a little too late.
    However, if Hillary is not the nominee, Democrats will lose the presidency again. Too bad!

10. Eddie

All that money the Clintons got,get me a job making six figures that I did not earn and I would campaign for you too.She is a spoiled brat that thinks her family is entitled to everything they want.

11. Delta Dave

Oh, it's crying time again, I'm going to leave you! How appropriate. Whilst it is nice that she is proud of her daughter supporting her, the fake emotion from someone who is as iron-cold as her is laughable. If she was a better actor, maybe it would be believable. I'm afraid the "Sniper Fire" incident completely soured me on her credibility. However, I will watch the interview, if only to see what a defeated presidential nominee looks like.

12. karen

When all things fail..do the simpathy trick...She is so......desparate.

13. Democrat first!!

For heaven's sake don't you have some real news to report? I am glad she is proud of her daughter but since when is it national news when a candidate chokes up? I know it helped Hillary in New Hampshire but I really don't think even Hillary would appreciate being characterized as a typical "weeping woman."

Please give us some real news, guys.

14. Steve in DC

Too late...the tears wont help you this time...not enough time or states or delegates left. Maybe you can use the tears for your run in 2012.

15. Media blackout Date May 15th

THOUSANDS of Mothers cry each day thinking of their child who died in Iraq based on of Hillary's vote.

NOT THIS TIME HILLARY!

You are TOAST!

Hillary Clinton, the Gimmick Candidate
    Bill and Hillary, The Gimmick Family
    Do and Say Anything '08 ! :D

16. Harold

Here come the waterworks again!!!
    Jesus-H-Christ, Hillary. She'll do just about anything to screw up this primary. So now, I suppose every woman is going to feel sorry for her and change their support. Whatever!

17. hillary 08!

Hillary would be winning by 100's of delegates if we added it up the republican way...

and for those of you putting her down....

the only loser is YOU!

Hillary VP 08' and P 12'

18. Seam, Florida

It's too late to start crying. That worked in New Hampshire, but it will not work now.

Go cry yourself to sleep. Maybe someone will call you at 3am to wake you from your nightmare.

19. Mr. Los Angeles

She has perfect timing with things like this.

She ran a great race, but I think we should turn the page. I wish her the best...I know she really wanted it and she cares but the people in her corner messed it up for her. Bill and her aids destroyed her chances.

Obama 08

20. Jeff, Hampshire, IL

Obama never cries. Not even with a roundhouse kick to the face by Chuck Norris.

21. Paige, NC

You know I truly want to believe Hillary but this 'smells' of a publicity stunt. Wolfson (who interviewed her) is a devout Clinton follower.

I am sure she is a great mother and is proud of her daughter but I don't buy the tears. A woman who makes it this far has to be tough as nails and the Clinton's will do anything to win a few votes. Maybe if she didn't leave such a trail of lies and deceit throughout her campaign I would buy it but it's too little too late.

22. WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN

Okay nice try Billary, Didn't we see this before in New Hampshire, crying just to get voters to be sympothetic to you. What's the old saying FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME. Won't happen this time, I telling you people this split personality at it's best. DROP OUT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Sashi

there comes the drama queen... on stage again! but then, it's the climax. it is about to get over. give her the freedom to do whatever she wants.

24. tabbi

hillary its time for you and your family to chill out......... you and your your family are remarkable people but this wont be your year. it time to give up......................

go obama 08

25. Andrew

Being proud of your daughter is nice. But this feels calculated and I think the American people see through it.