May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Andrew

bloggers chill out you hillary hating. What reason do hillary supporters have to join your cause when you talk like that about her supporters and her. Wake up you new to the political world people. she's a democrat not unlike yourselves and you need her supporters votes. so stop your hateful comments.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. A Proud Mother Who Can Tear Up..

If you have been a parent who has nurtured and watch anxiously as your child has grown up, escaped pitfalls, and has turned into a wonderful and accomplished human being who cares for others, you understand Hillary's tears. Hillary speaks from her heart about Chelsea.

If not...then 'zip it'.

This election, seemingly out of her grasp, has been grueling on her, her husband and daughter. They all desire thanks for all of their hard work in their commitment to service to our wonderful country..

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Marian DeRossett

I am a woman almost 62 years old and I am for Hilliary.I feel she has been slighted being a woman and I see this on TV and this is heartbreaking to me.Women have strived so hard and we are equal human beings not to be used as objects.Obama is still of the male gender and men have always been President.He is also of mixed race and half white.So when we speak of a black President it should be mixed race President. instead.I see the male role not wanting a woman to be in the big house and this is so wrong to us as women.Shame on you men.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Clare

If Hillary is nominated for the presidency, will she cry when the other countries try and tear her down. Or will she cry when the Senate or House Reps reject her Bills? I am so tried of her whining. Get tough Hillary. Be the man you make yourself out to be.

Orlando, FL

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. KE

This race is important because Hillary stayed in, people felt their voices are being heard.

About 80 % of people think America is going in the wrong direction which I think 80 % of American people are just not happy with the current administration.

If Obama got a nomination in the early stage, even he was giving the right messages, many of us would felt cheated if we found out we were misinformed by the leaders of the country.

Because Hillary insisted on being heard when others tried to silence her, her perseverance showed people we can do the same. She truly represents American people and the silent voices of the majority.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Jane

Wow...you are all bitter.

I only see genuine emotion here. It's funny how people only see what they want to see.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Christ

Hillary is the best prepare to fit the president of USA.

I am sincerely to say from my heart as the fact, the Democrat party seems not favor in her for some reason, but I believe in Hillary only, and no matter how the Democrat party decision.

May 14, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. Sam

Is this where all of the mean people gather to see how hateful they can be? If so, Bye...

9. KMAN

Hey Tex, how could two young children have possibly managed to listen to anyone for 20 years? The name Tex is never a good sign that the individual will be very bright ... you are no exception!

10. bernadette

Why is it that some of the Obama supporters are so very mean and mean spirited whenever someone just might show some very sincere and genuine emotion? You call it a sign of weakness. I would not want some of you as friends when I spoke with emotion about one of my children. How can you call yourselves "people of change" when you are still filled with hatred from years past?

11. Pat

Oh, please. I'm really disgusted she uses tears to get her votes. Where is her strength as a woman. I would not want her to have access to the "red" phone.

12. Denise

you will all be sorry when obama becomes president as for mrs clinton i respect her as a woman and as a mother and i stand with her till the end cause i know in my heart she is the key to a better future unlike all of you who are blinded by obama star power and the media for destroying hillary with very unfair broadcasing throught this campain....you should be sued

13. mark

And cue the crocodile tears. Next week she will be doing shots of more Canadian Whiskey

14. Delldude

At least the Clintons do believe in America which that other white/America hating witch Michelle doesn't, and of course O-BAMA and that phony CHANGE crap he spews from those golden rehtorical lips of his will deflate fast, after the republicans take back the Congress and Senate after the Democrates poor showing in not ending Bush's Idiotic War in Iraq.

If this is the Best that AMERICA can show for Candidates in both parties we're in BIG TROUBLE.

15. Chris, Buies Creek, NC

I think it is highly inappropriate to question Mrs. Clinton's tears over her daughter. Although not a parent, my parents have teared up when feeling proud of my brother and I.

After a 41 point drubbing at the hands of Mrs. Clinton last night in WVA, however, I understand the need Mr. Obama's supporters have in needing to show just how much they hate her.

16. Bill (Louisiana)

Hillary mentioned it would be a mistake for her supporters to pick McCain over Obama. Well my answer to her is none of the democratic and repuplican candidates seem to get it. A lot of us are darn tired of voting the party line. I am voting for who I think is best for my future and my children. It is not Obama or McCain it is Hillary. If I had to pick one of the other two, I think I will throw up first. I have problems with Obama because I don't trust him because of remarks made by his spouse and his pastor. We tend to be very similar to our little circle we travel in.

PS: The remarks by his wife and pastor were made way after the Louisiana Primary.

17. LHC in FL

What an inspiring woman! She and her supporters are not quitters. Good on them. There are some spirit-lifting quotes in there:
    "I don't believe in quitting."
    "You go the distance!"
    "You don't walk off the court before the buzzer sounds."
    Yes, she has declared that "we are gonna finish this process." That's the sort of commitment I like to hear Senator Clinton!

I take it, then, that you are not calling for a withdrawal from Iraq? When you become President, you are going to work hard to "lift the spirits" of our troops so that they can "go the distance" in Iraq and Afghanistan? That's the sort of leader you are, yes?

And certainly, Senator Clinton, if somebody-say Obama-advocates quitting, and "walking off the court before the buzzer sounds"-you will oppose them, and support the candidate who is committed to victory in the Middle East?

True?

Hello?

18. Sonia Martin-Campbell

She is such an actor!

Sonia,
    from NY

19. anonymous

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW YOU PEOPLE ARE TREATING HER. YOU'RE TOTALLY INSANE. I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING ELECTIONS SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING WHEN HILLARY AND OBAMA DECLARED THAT THEY WERE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. THE REASON WHY I WOULD NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA IS BECAUSE HE'S A LIAR AND A CROOK. I AM A LIFE LONG HILLARY SUPPORTER, BUT IF CONDOLEEZA RICE WAS RUNNING AGAINST HILLARY, I DON'T KNOW HOW I WOULD HAVE VOTED. COLOR OF THE SKIN DOESN'T MATTER, BUT WHAT THE PERSON DOES MAKES A DIFFERENCE TO ME.

WHEN OBAMA FIRST SAID AFTER PRESIDENT BUSH'S STATE OF THE UNION ADRESS LAST YEAR: "I WAS AGAINST THE WAR IN IRAQ. I GAVE A SPEECH ABOUT IT" THAT WAS THE END OF IT FOR ME. I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR A KID WHO STICKS OUT HIS TONGUE AND SAYS: "I DIDN'T DO IT!". IT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG! SORRY MR. OBAMA–YOU ARE A BIG FAILURE IN MY EYES REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH MONEY YOU RAISED OR HOW MANY STATES YOU WON.

20. Dr. J.J.

Let me guess, now you are about to find your voice.

21. noemi in los angeles

I just hope Clinton supporters can try to be as bright as Clinton.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. Dave

Sorry folks, this crap works with women. She's behind in Oregon and so she cries. Watch – her polls number will shoot up now. She's is a calculating politician. She would EAT Chelsey if she thought it would get her elected.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Ryan

I've seen Hillary cry more times this campaign than I've cried myself in the past year. This plea to emotions from her is really getting old.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Eric

Maybe she's doing it cause its hard to find people to work for free. You cant afford to pay them.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. tell the truth

I'm a strong Obama support but please stop bashing the Clitnions. I will vote Obama or Clintion in November. Their on the same team. Alot of people are acting like children not adults on this website. Obama = Clintion about 95% of the time. We needed each other.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |