May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Liar, Liar, plants on fire.

Chelsea FOR PRESIDENT! Qualifications: she grew up in the White House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Tom

The Obama Supporters are out in full force. Can't you give the lady a break. She lost and now the Obama supporters have to rub it in. No wonder people who actually have kitchen table issues won't vote for Obama . They can spot pompous elitists, a la Dukakis and Kerry, a mile away.

Why is this comment censored?

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. libby

I can not believe she is PROUD of the kind of people who voted for her in WV. When I see ALL the different young people from every nationality dying and fighting to defend this country, it makes me SICK to see those racist clowns that voted for her in WV with their racism and letting it be known that they would never vote for a BLACK. And pulease! Senator Obama has people of ALL nationalities voting for him. It is time to stop putting so much attention on the so-called white collar whites who are in this country. It was disgusting to hear the racist attacks on those decent Obama volunteers in WV and IN. If you don't want to vote for Senator Obama, then just don't! But atleast let it be a more valid reason. This country does not belong to one people, it belongs to united people. If these are the sorts of people that she relies on, then where will this country go if she is president???? She and Bill had their chance. There were a lot of things they could have done but didn't.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. kat

Even though she can urge her supporters to support whole heartedly whoever the Democratic candidate is, the mean spirited comments of Obama supporters may be too much for her supporters to vote for him. What is wrong with people who are so filled with hate and anger? He can stop it if he's really leadership material.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Jackie - Ft. Laud, FL

What's wrong with showing emotion? The obama supporters need to do some real soul searching, because your spiteful, demeaning comments just shows how ridiculous and utterly selfish and ignorant you really are. You're NOT democrats, this is not how democrats behave. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. As a lifelong democrat, I am so turned off by the new JUVENILE wing of the party and this destructive behavior and name calling that I'm changing my registration to Independent and who knows, I might just stay home in Nov.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. jeff

Tears again? Going to the well one too many times.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Stick To The Issues

To Tex,

Dude get a life. If you don't like Obama, that's your right as an American. You don't have to defend your dislike for someone, so why you make up fake reasons to hate them is beyond me.

It has been stated several times over that Obama didn't attenend every service. Obama was a community organizer, and then he go into politics. Needless to say he was too busy DOING to be in church SITTING 6 times a month.

I don't care how anybody feels about it... All Rev. Wright did was point out the evil that this government (NOT the people, the adminstration – that's the difference people like you tend to get confused) is doing overseas, and to some in our very own country.

Being a proud American does not equal being blind.

May 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Hillary Speaks 4 me

OMG BLITZER! YOU ARE SHAMELESS!

I SAW THE VIDEO! HOW CAN YOU WITE SUCH A HEADLINE...

HILLARY PAUSED FOR A SPLIT SECOND AS SHE ANSWERED..

CHOKED UP?

ARE YOU THT DESPARATE FOR READERS!

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. california kid

The Obama supporters are so rude I swear. Just because you don't like her you call her a fake. No matter, most of us Hillary supporters won't vote for Obama in November.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Hillary Supporter

You people for obamanot are incredibly ignorant! And, they say he has the "educated" voters! What a joke, you're probably a bunch of college kids blogging and getting paid a penny per post!

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Wendy

So, she would rather have some kid sell his bike and give her the money than drop out and let hard working americans (or their children) keep their hard earned money or bike as the case may be??

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. Velma

Hillary really needs to quit this acting job that she is pulling on this country. If she is so concerned about the country why did her campaign say yesterday that this is about Hillary first and the Party last.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. stop the madness

For all of you out there that's always talking about what a fighter she is, how strong she is why is she always crying, can you picture her facing a enemy nation crying. How many tears have she shed over our dying brave young men and woman that she was responsible for sending them to their deaths against the advise of our nation's advisers, she has not so much as said she was sorry for this let alone shed a tear!!!

I for one do not want a president that emotional only when it comes to her personal life, but expresses little to none for others. Neither Bush, McCain or Hillary can compare to other presidents that were faced with war, these rally on full of glee. She had the nerve to mention Lincoln during this race asking Obama for a Lincoln / Jefferson debate, well if she wants to channel Lincoln then she would be reminded how he weeped and cried over the lost of lives during the Civil war, he sure was not out and about pushing his own agenda.

Speaking of one's own agenda the only reason she is still in this race is to attempt to raise more money, money to repay HERSELF!!!!! EVERYONE knew she would win WV by a landslide, no big deal, she will take Ky. too, but the thing of it is there is no way for her to win, NO WAY unless the SDs give it to her after she has found a way to destroy the future of Obama, what kind of crap is this? EVERYONE KNOWS if Obama were in her situation he would have been gone, not because he is not strong, but because the DNC, Hillary's supporters and the nation would have DEMANDED he be gone!!

She is a user and a underhanded person, she knows and just about EVERYBODY KNOWS the only reason she is still in this is to recoup her MONEY, she is hoping for her blind suckers to send their money or for Obama to help pay her off just to get rid of her!!

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Joe - Wilmington, DE

I would love to believe the senator's sincerity during this interview(don't get me wrong, I am sure her love for her daughter is deep and undeniable and is certainly reciprocal) but given her track record of contrivance, faked outrage, tears seemingly on cue, etc...this seems another attempt to pull at the voter's heart strings.

It's time to stop.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Anthony

Is this what you want answering the phone at 3:00am? She drives me up a wall.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Dave

Wolf Blitzer serves as the paradigm of the corporate networks elevating nonsence into news.

He asked Clinton about the economy and the war and the only answer that gets reported is her tear up over her daughter. Now I understand that Hillary Clinton appearing to exert human emotions may seem like news, but it is not.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  17. Jimmy VALENTE

Best Liar in the world.
    I never saw in my life somebody who wants to step on body of Nice American People JUST TO GET THE WHITE HOUSE.
    Hillary, If you are sincere, why you are demolishing the best smart President we will get like OBAMA ?. Is it because he is Black. We do not care about the colour neither about the gender, but you must recognize that he is the best.
    Now you are talking about your daughter as INTRODUCTION TO NEXT SHELSEA SENATOR AND PRESIDENT IN FEW YEARS. What else? Maybe in 30 years the son of SHELSEA, So we are in Monarchy here in America. Come on GIVE UP for the good health of American People and let Mister OBAMA make a KO to REpublican.

May 14, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. noemi in los angeles

I am part of the Obama Generation. 08 + 12

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Hillary Speaks 4 me

OMG BLITZER! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SHAMELESS!

I SAW THE VIDEO CLIP! HOW CAN YOU WITE SUCH A HEADLINE...

"Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview"

HILLARY PAUSED FOR A SPLIT SECOND AS SHE ANSWERED..

CHOKED UP?

ARE YOU THT DESPARATE FOR READERS!

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. Butch McGatto

I see that Hillary is trotting out her campaign theme song again – 'Cry me a river'. It's too late. The fat lady has also started to sing and they are about to bring the curtain down. The show is over, now get off the stage!

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Hillary is te real deal...

If you wanted to know how America gets it's most valued presidents, now you know.

How else would you want to see America represented?

I actually like Obama's message of change, but nobody can deny that Hillary's strength and perseverance is truly brining to light the core American values that we all hold dear.

The bottom line is that both Hillary and Obama are outstanding candidates, and McCain's continued neo conservitive Bush theology (for lack of a better word) will not blind the majority of us a third time.

Best wishes and blessings to all from a proud Roman Catholic Registered Democrat household...

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Eric

How can a young boy under 18 give her campaign money? I thought you have to be an adult to contribute to political campaigns.......... Bosnia II?

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Democrat in Northwest

This was a sweet moment. Only a parent can feel the sweetness of it. There is nothing cry baby about it. Here is a mother expressing her pride about her daughter.

From the comments listed and all other comment regarding this race, it is scary to see the motivation in the voters' mind. I think we should have people's IQ checked before letting them vote. The sad thing is they multiply:(

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Jeff

Diane, NY

I think your sniper fire comment was wonderful...

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. shirley

Hillary is the person who started the race, gender and religion campaign and now is back tracking, saying it is 'a shame'; Yes, it was a shame. I will give her credit for asking her supporter's to support the Democratic nominee, whomever it may be.

May 14, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |