May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. B

The crying game won't work this time. It may win you a primary or two but not the nominee.

May 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Val

I hope that Barack considers Christine Todd Whitman to be his running mate. This former NJ govenor has more qualifications than ALL the candidates and has a very good record on the environment.

May 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Dennis

I'm not a supporter of Senator Clinton, but I have been impressed with her daughter's campaigning. My wife had a chance to see a campaign rally at which Chelsea spoke, and she came away favorably impressed.

May 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. JOSH

go hillary

May 14, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Berat (Pronounced buh-RAHT), Park Ridge, IL

Oh man, she's crying again (According to the headline, not the story)! You know what that means: She's gonna win! 'Cause crying is what connects you with the electorate!

To all Hillary Rodham Clinton supporters: I'm fine with letting this race play out to the end, but you all have to admit that this drama with Senator Clinton has gotten played out a little too much. Hillary's crying a SECOND time on-camera. Do we REALLY think that this is going to play well against a guy who was tortured? You want Obama supporters to think of the general election. Guess what? We are. You should join us; we will welcome you with open arms (maybe an "I told you so" too, but let's be honest - you'd do the same for us. I mean, we're all siblings in this, and that's what siblings do, right?).

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. son

Tough LUCK! REPORT TODAY 2 OBAMA ENDORSEMENTS. CLINTONS are so DELUSIONAL

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. Isaac

This is news?

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. joyce

CRY BABY

out to get people to feel sorry again, cry and get what you want

NOT THIS TIME

NOT THIS TIME

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. Yeswecan

There she goes again with her drama. Somebody see a similarity with New Hampshire. Too late Hiliary. We do not buy your gimmicks anymore.

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. TeraJ, MD

It's nice to be proud of your daughter!

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  11. sandra from TN

i believe she is trying to get more votes ..... :( maybe then some one will vote for her... aww what a poor poor woman. "sob".

OBAMA 08
    EX – HILLARY SUPPORTER. ^_^

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. hawk

Oh Please, who cares about this lady anymore.

May 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Susa

oh please... not another Hillary holding back tears moment....
    Blitzer we know you love her, but honestly the rest of us are just so tired of her... can't wait until this is OVER!!!

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Jeanne

You had to know the fake tears would show up again at some point. She can win legitimagely so she's got to throw in the waterworks & all those other machinations designed to win sympathy.

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Abayomi

Not Again.

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Nando, Florida

TEARS OF A CLOWN!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. DoneWithDems

Dang.......think I'm getting a little misty.

McCain/08

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. Michael

Oh no, not again.

May 14, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. unfinished1

YAWN.... z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z

Give me a break

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Robert in Toronto,ON

I don't believe Hillary Clinton for ONE SECOND. She did the same thing in the Iowa primary, and now she's crying AGAIN to try and get more sympathetic mothers and/or women!

She's a panderer! And she's hoping you'll vote for her!!!

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Cthom

I am so tired of Hillary defaulting to "female" in her efforts to sway this election. They underestimated the American public and banked on his race to take her to the top and she was wrong. True, many americans have closet racial issues, but they are still hopeful and that is what Obama is pushing....hope.

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Zack in NoVA

I'd like to believe the emotional response is legitimate, but I just can't tell anymore. There have been such radical transitions between the different sides of Hillary Clinton that it's become too difficult for me to know what's real about her anymore. It has nothing to do with her being a woman; it has EVERYTHING to do with her recent binge of opportunism.

I know several people who have said she's run a very 'Republican' campaign; while I'm not sure I believe that completely, the spin and opportunism evidenced on the campaign has left me wondering how she would handle the power of the Presidency. I'm simply not comfortable with that ambiguity.

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. New Day

I guess this is a news story somehow?

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Obama 08

Sorry, I am very sorry, but this woman makes me sick. I am nauseated. She is a liar!!!

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. s

Trying to get votes again

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |