May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jack

Liar, liar, pantsuit on fire

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. Lester Stubbs

Why is the former First Lady, continues to bring up Florida and Michigan, when she new they would not be counted.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Robert Wiseman

I think that those of you who are being so negative about this should do a gut check to see where your humanity has gone to. You are so blinded by your partisanship that true human moments are interpreted as manipulation. Give it and us a break. Don't post for a few days. I am proud of my daughters and can certainly understand how seeing your child up in front of a crowd day after day would make a parent choke up. Way to go Hillary Clinton and Chelse Clinton.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Sajan

Choking, right wing conspiracy and lies are part of Clinton's legacy! Dems wake up!

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. JR Veteran from New York City, NY

CNN please post my comment!

It's been wonderful to see how the Clintons exposed their daughter to this kind of drama. I applauded Senator Clinton for her tenacity on the campaign trail and her constant flow of denial and rules change.

Even Stevie Wonder could see through those fake smiles and her ambition to manipulate the Super Delegates to win the nomination. She cannot win the nomination without overrided the will of the people that vote in the primary. By trying so hard to get the nomination that she don't even deserve, by contantly acclaimed that she is the best qualified Candidate.

Please somebody tells me this. To my understanding, the main reason that we have a primary is solely to determine that who is in the Democratic Party is the best qualify that can win the GE. If you don't do too good in the primary, isn't it enough testimony that you will not be doing too good in the GE. Not enough votes, not enough Delegates, not enough States won, not enough money raised. If all that is not enough to drop out, I don't know what it is.

There're more Whites than Blacks in America. If Clintons were so brilliant, with all the spinns and racist comments that her and her husband are making, what is it that they cannot even defeat Obama. Think about it. CNN and Wolf Blitzer could spinn this anyway they wanted to, the true is too abvious.

My advice to the Clintons, before the whole Democratic Party is destroyed, for their love for the Country and the votes of the people they claimed they so love, please leave the race.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Worn Out

Man. We have to have a bit more humanity then what is happening on these blogs. Everybody believes the other person's choice of candidates is the worst thing in the world, yet they are still human beings. This campaign is gruesome for them. They're busted on their feet. The wear and tear shows. Hillary is not manipulating. She is plain old wore out but still fighting. A boxer in the end rounds of a 15 rounder.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Paris

Maybe because she is human and she really cares and believes that
    she is the better choice for our country.
    Maybe because she is the one that really understand what is at stake.
    I will not vote for a democrat this election but if a democrat was to win I sure hope it is her and not an opportunist like Obama.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. nick

you have to give her credit she has been bad mouthed, told to get out of the race, and yet she hanges in there . I do not believe that obama can beat Mc Cain but, hillery can. obama is not agood debater seems to get flustered when is confronted with some questions are asked. also the last thing we need in the white house is a chicago politician.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Anna, SW Missouri

Chelsea Clinton doesn't have a clue what it is like living in the real world. I am not saying this to be mean, but she has had a very sheltered life and has no idea what it is like to have to work 3 different part time jobs while trying to go to college, or to have to worry where the money will come from to buy gas to get to work. She has had secret service all of her life protecting her.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Nateru

Hillary: "Give me the presidency...or I'll CRY!"

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Darryl

Well wasnt that quaint....the story of the single mom, the boy who sold his bicycle, the old dying woman..I honestly do not know how the American public continuosly fall for the same old load of crap. Its time America chose a different kind of leader one that isnt playing the same old tune one that is bringing new ideas to the table as opposed to the same old replayed promises that are enver kept and usually never achievable. But i highly doubt that day will ever come.

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. JS

Hillary may win the popular vote - the super delegates should reconsider and back her...consider America as a whole and not just themselves and what position Obama promises them in his cabinet, etc.

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. E. C., Houston, Texas

What saddens everyone is that Hillary Clinton is head and shoulders above Obama and she knows it, as do her supporters. She is by far the better candidate in qualifications and experience and know how.; however, the voters want to see another name in the White House. It is horribly disheartening to see one's fellow Senators who are being counted upon.... abandon their lifelong support in favor of one who is not as experienced or qualified, just because he is different. Obama doesn't have the slightest clue about how to handle the problems of this country. Not one person reading this comment has heard one solution or one idea from Obama, for he doesn't have a clue.

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Phil

Tex,

Why do Clinton supporters turn everything around to Reverand Wright?

Also, if you were objective, you would have listened to everything Michelle Obama said.

Unless you are a black person, I doubt you really understand the black experience growing up in America. I know I don't understand it but have tried to learn as much as I can.

It is time for the divisions to stop and come together to defeat the Republicans.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Talimee

You guys disgust me. I choke everytime I speak about how proud I am of my mother and everything she has done and gave up for me. Why cant Hillary choke when she speaks about how proud she is of her daughter? We all do it!!! Either way, anything she does is wrong in your eyes. She is a wonderful woman who cares about this country, shame on you.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Nateru

LOL...perhaps Hillary is going through a "change" of her own!

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. greenfun

I saw Chelsea in Houston Texas. She was warm, intelligent and well versed on issues. She seems like a lovely person. As a parent I can see why Senator Clinton is so proud of her. We all want our children to be happy, involved and productive. Obviously a lot of love and good parenting were involved. I hear how so many people say Hillary Clinton is an awful, nasty person. My neighbor has a relative who worked very closely with her in the White House when she was First Lady, and he says she was amazing to work with-so focused and intelligent, but also very kind and thoughtful. Just thought I would share.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Beignet

You are joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN?????????????

This is an act, again a ploy, to get people to feel sorry for her and to start to back her...

OR

She's a sob queen, and we don't need one of these as a president!

Get your emotions under control.

Signed,
    a woman

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Billy Gibbons in Houston

That's as FAKE as Ted Kennedy throwing his support for "change".
    I can't believe that the whole Democrat party can only come up with these two.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. Liddy

Clinton looks foolish at this point.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. digita

Confucious sayss that it's better to have someone who cries in the White House than someone who has not been proud of America.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. Darryl

You can not believe Hillary Clinton she is a liar and not to be trusted.
    Lying is and always have been a trademark of the Clintons.....

America and all who read this reware, of Hillary and Bill Clinton they are not to be trusted by any beyond that word and the source of the word....

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Mimi

Elliot from Chicago, IL – I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR!!! Also, will HRC cry in the presence of Mohamed Ahmedinajad, or the likes of Osama?

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. cp

Here we go. I'd bet 10 to 1 that Chelsea will run for political office one day – and get elected just because of name recognition. Momma and daddy are setting her up for it now. We Americans are such sheep. We don't deserve better government because we idolize these political dynasties.

There are 300 million Americans. Surely there are better leaders among us that the Clintons and Bushes. They have had their chance. It's time to move on. I am so glad that I got a chance to vote for an outsider like Obama, but he's quickly becoming an insider. Please do not ever vote for a Clinton, Kennedy, Bush, or Gore – for anyone from a political dynasty. These dynasties are a threat to our democracy. You don't have to pick Coke or Pepsi. There's so much more out there. Let's start with a black president who father is African and who grew up on food stamps, and then let's go from there.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Gilbert Muzquiz

She may be sincere...somewhere deep inside there may still be reminants of a decent human being. She however has covered that up with so many lies, ego, and unjustified language that she no longer knows who or what she really is. She now reminds me of BUSH on IRAQ...no matter what the results show, what the majority of Americans want...Let's continue with what I want.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |