May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. js

It amazes me how incredibly vitriolic people can be when they are writing anonymous comments. The fact that people choose to run for public office and put themselves out there for others to ridicule and demean is fascinating. What we wouldn't dare say to someone's face we freely put into cyber-space for the world to read.
    Hillary had been scrutinized on everything from her pantsuits to her personal life, and yet we manage to find one more way to bash her on a daily basis. I'm for one am proud to be voting for Hillary in June in the SD primary, and proud that we have woman who is running for president. Say what you will about her, hidden behind your screen names, but she is a brave and dedicated woman who deserves our respect along with the other candidates who put themselves up for this type of public scrutiny. Could any of us withstand that type of pressure? I dare say not.

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. Nate

Easy now some of you. This has been a long race and she's probably spent more time with Chelsey than she has in 10 years. I am also an Obama supporter and despite my preference Hillary is a person and she has emotions. These may be real and who are we to judge. It's a non-issue in the campaign but let's not forget we're human, we're trying to get some place together.
    When you look back at all of this we will have a greater respect for what's happened and the candidates. Hillary's given all she has. I don't agree with the way she plays and don't care for her especially, but she deserves some respect. We need to rise above the sillyness.

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. skyjuice

Oh BOO HOO....check, please !

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  4. common sense

This HAS to be a world record for CRYING DURING A CAMPAIGN

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. Lime

Hillary Clinton has alot to be proud of. I have children of my own that are Chelsea Clintons age. I wish that my own kids supported and cared about me as much as Hillarys daughter. She turned out to be a fine kid.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. G-man

With the damage she's doing to the party due to her HUGE ego, the tears will be real when she can't win for dog catcher under a McCain /bush
    admen.
    shame on you and the DNC.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. CHANGE

Ohh how sweet!!! why is this woman so FAKE??

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Madalynn

Go Hilary...we are proud of you. Tes-I agree with you, there is nothing about that woman that even matches Hilary. Both Obama's are cold and anti-american. America is blind, WAKEUP AMERICA. Perhaps you may when we are in the bread lines with our Harvard president who cannot relate to the real people of America. Michelle is creepy too, I will be insulted to have her as a first lady of our country.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. Rob

Did Wolf asked her an important question like who donated to Bill's library?

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. fredrick

she is going to be crying more when june gets here! har har har!

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. Jim in topanga, california

can you imagine vlad putin or any of the russians, or iranians looking in and seeing this clown in tears? we do not need this nut job anywhere near the "football"

it's been a long campaign-but it's over honey-your opponent won
    –take the weeping into the "quiet room" now
    the nurse will be along with your meds soon

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. Photon Torpedo Dallas, TX

Hey guys really... "It's her party... and she can cry if she wants to."

Yes We Can & Yes We Should
    Obama 08'

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  13. charlene

Hillary i get that same feeling when i think and speak of my daughters so i know how you feel.

keep pushing forward
    Hillary 08

14. ed

Work hard my behind. I wish I could work that hard on my mother's campaign where I could go to Hawaii and Puerto Rico on vacation paid for by my mom's contributors..

15. T.C.

GO Girl .....................hang in thereHillary,we wish you
    good luck on your
    campaign.Will not vote for Obama,Osama,because Ido not trust him
    and I do not like his wife.My family are not voting at all if your not the winner

16. Steve Ford

Campaign Manager:

"Turn it on and off like water, Mrs. Clinton...

Ready?

GO!" ;-)

17. sally

Chelsea Clinton is fortunate enough to come from parents wealthy enough that allow her to take a year off work, plus having the clout that her bosses let her take so much time off work. How many of our employers give us even sick leave?

18. Okjan

"She should have choked a little harder"? This is what Obama supporters are like!! These are the reasons we will not vote for Obama, not because he's a man of color, but because he is not ready to be president at this time, and it shows in his followers.
    Hillary or McCain, not Obama this year

19. Jones

WEAK!

20. saba

THOS WHO ARE CRITIZING HILLARY IN THIS TICKE:

I AM WOMAN- SUPPORTER OF OBAMA. BEING A MOTHER, I KNOW
    HOW HILLARY FEELS WITH HER DOUGHTER'S SUPPORT.
    I AM SURE, SHE CRIED OUT OF PRIDE! AND THAT IS NORMAL.

PEOPLE, PLEASE HAVE HEART!

OBAMA 08!

21. sky

Oh please! If she were truly a sensitive and caring individual she would be choked up about the fact she sold out her scruples in her attempt to be president.

22. Annie, Muncie Indiana

I am for Mr. Obama 100%. However, I will say that I have watched the demeanor of this young woman and I think her Mother and Father has every right to be proud of her. Someday, she may run on her own behalf and hopefully she didn't get the "Clinton version of the truth gene."

23. Tania

Hey, folks, people do choke up sometimes when they get emotional. You criticize if they're too cold, and you harp when they're tearful. Both men and women can tear up, can choke up, and it's just part of being human. The reactions here are because you either like or hate her, and your comments reflect that, whether or not she got choked up. Anyone's better that the moron that's been in the White House for all these years - and you elected him! Twice (well, almost). I don't think he's had a thought process in his grey matter at any point in his life.

24. Patty

Don't fall for it again, ladies!! She's trying to get us any way she can!!

25. Kendall - Baltimore

I am sure she cherishes her daughter, but Chelsea must feel like crying too! Did you see her after the Indiana primary? She and Bill were noticeably absent last night!

The real problem is that her tears could be genuine, but one would never know.