May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Vig

CNN – can you come up with a more "cherry picked" headline for Clinton – you people make me sick. Clinton should be outraged, not gracious when giving interviews to CNN, the way they have railroaded her nomination in favor of a lightweight, superficial egomaniac.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. Paul

Chelsea 2016!

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  3. Beth

This Clinton supporter will vote McCain in November. And don't lecture me about "the issues". I will gladly give Bush his third term, just to teach a lesson to Obama's supporters.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. dz in Austin

I've never read such dripple in all my lfe as most of the posts here.

Obviously none of you have ever been so proud of your children that get misty eyed. I have, and i certainly understand what she is feeling.

Your immature name calling and criticism of my candidate at every perceived opportunity completely turns me off to you and your candidate.

We'll see whi is crying after the general when the Hillary supports just stay home.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  5. JD

She's supposed to cry BEFORE primaries, not AFTER them. That's what the script says, at least.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. enoch needles

Oh, and she's doing it because it's a free trip to Puerto Rico.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Dustin

This is such a non-story. Watch the clip. She barely chokes up. My first reaction was that this was fake, but watching the video she seemed genuine, more so than when she talked about the lady in Indiana (If it's so personal for you then why don't you know her name hillary?). After watching the video I don't understand why this is even worthy of a mention on the ticker. Come on CNN. How about some real campaign news.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Ron R

Im a big Obama supporter and a father...this is the first sign of emotions from her that I believe.....

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. new voter

This is sexist.. how come Obama can't choke up and get the same kind of response???

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. MC, Maryland

oh boy, here we go again.

May 14, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. Joe White

Can we afford to have a President who plays the "crying game" all the time?

Not Presidential Material!

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Helen Charles

I would choke up also if I blew all that money to lose. Seems that 2012 is her next target since 08 is a done deal.

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. IH

I am not an avid fan of Hillary and was contemplating not voting for her and staying home on election day. But unlike some pseudo-democrats here who proclaim that they will vote for McCain if their candidate doesn't get the nomination, I, however, was never going to vote for McCain. I was saddended by HRC's antics and the negative campaign she had run agaisnt a fellow democrat; however, after today, when she announced to her supporters that voting for McCain would be an error, I must say, she has been able to redeem some positive points back in her favor. If she continues on this path and stops dividing the party any further, I won't feel any hesitation voting for her if she is the nominee.

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. Republican4Obama

Fake me baby one more time!

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. john

Come on guys, I support Obama but I still think Senator Clinton is a great candidate and I really feel shes a better person through this process. This process as not only changed a lot of things in America as we will find out in the future when we look back but the candidates themselves have metamorphosed. I do hope Hilary is put on the ticket so she we can use her expertise for this nation. We shouldnt throw the baby out with the bathwater. Obama will make a great president and so willl Hilary in spite of her issues. I do hope for an Obama/Clinton ticket. Then let Americans go to the polls to ask themselves the question, are they ready for a black /female to chart a new course for the nation, or would they rather stay the present course of McBush and its failed economic policies and bloodshed of American men and women in a war for oil, in a land where we are hated,a war which is making the terrorist richer and has ruined our economy and currency.

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Nancy

I am an Obama supporter but I must say, I was impressed with Hillary's interview on situation room today. I felt it was the first time I have seen her in a really favorable light. She seemed warm and genuine. I think she is really trying to ask for everyone's support of Barack should (when) he officially clinches the nomination. If she had campaigned this way all along I think we would be looking at a very different situation. I also know people who have met her and tell me she is the way we saw her today in real life. I feel better about having her be involved in the Obama administration should Barack decided to go that way.

OBAMA 08

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. W

That is very touching. When I met Chelsea on the campaign trail I choked up too.

It is incredible to see how resiliant Hillary has been in the face of the hatred and malicious will that are unjustifiably directed towards her.

I am proud that Hillary, Chelsea and Bill Clinton continue to stand strong for Hillary's supporters and all Americans.

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Listen

Tex – Obama's daughters probably think that they will be called the N word more than once in their life. Their father will probably be killed by someone for being President, and they will get to listen to history glorify murders, rapist, theives and animal behavior as if it is heroic. People like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Christopher Columbus, and whomever else you can recall from 1990 on down. The can learn about how the government created crack and put it into the inner cities, and gave black men diseases. Wow I'm proud of America now myself.

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Patty

This is not about being a quitter. It's about knowing when to step aside for the good of someone else!! She's too selfish to recognize that!!

May 14, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  20. Hillary08

Oh no! I can't believe she did that. I'm one of her staunchest supporters and the crying is so transparent and over-the-top. Hillary, just STAY ON MESSAGE. We know you can win! Don't fall for all this hoopla!

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Shon

Oh gracious...I was wondering how long would it be before she pulled this stunt again.

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. Noah

How can you people hate this women. For God's sake. She all but endorsed Obama if he is the nominee. She defended him, but she also made her case why she still feels she is stronger..You must just like to hate.

As for her emotion. Get a life. She was talking about her daughter. Someone who has given up her own life to support her mother. She is very proud.

I am sick and tired of the hate. If you want us Hillary supporters to support Obama, you Obama people need to change your attitude first.

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. BAKERSFIELD

obama supporters
    why do you hate hillary so much, i have never spoke so much hatred toward anybody in my life.

May 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. Texan for Progression

Case in point regarding HRC's lack of integrity...

While referring to Chelsea, Hillary states, "She did grow up in the White House." Obama grew up on food stamps and she has the audacity to call him an elitist??? I understand that at this juncture Obama supporters should be courting Clinton supporters, but the hypocrasy displayed in this primary season has left me deeply scared, and I'm growing tired of "making nice" by ignoring the offenses of those who remain too arogant to so much as even acknowledge that they've committed offenses.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  25. gary stebnitz

Thank you Wolf, for at last, a fair interview with Senator Clinton. The discussion about Chelsea was both charming and touching.

Gary Stebnitz