May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. l

Indentured servant is how that young woman is being treated by her parents. I have found the Clintons' use of their daughter on the campaign trail bordering on abuse.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Bronte

I believe that she is proud of her daughter and that Sen. Clinton is the best equipped and best experienced to do the job.

I don't understand how someone can call Sen Clinton a liar because she gets choked up with pride while seeing her daugher help.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. tman

cry cry baby ....................................game over. Obama 08

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. Kathy, Andover

I saw how you promoted that you had a question that teared Hillary up, in order to get your audience to keep watching. That's so lame, Wolf. I don't see you doing that to male candidates.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. Louise - MN

Good for Hillary to let her gard down and speak with pride of her daughter. Chelsea seems like they type of person any parent would be proud to have for a child and a friend.
    What is with all the chastising comments regarding this article?
    Is there something wrong with a parents have pride in their children?
    Each and every one of you “Hillary haters” is no longer entitled to take pride in your children when they turn out to be well rounded human beings.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  6. paul oregon

while to bad you never know she cried wolf one to many times is she lieing again probable

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  7. Nick the Greek

Why cant people accept that she is human and maybe she actually is a woman that cares about her daughter.... maybe not everything is about the selfish people who think its 'a gimmick to get votes'?? Do you think every time a woman in your family cries she is just doing it to get your support? If you do then I am sorry for you and your family.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  8. noans, South Pasadena

Tears and using your daughter won't change the numbers and never will, Senator Clinton.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  9. Kate in Portland

I just love this woman!!! She is such an inspiration to me and my 2 daughters and my 80 year old mother. We are a family of Hillary Supporters and our hearts will be broken if she does not win.

I have never witnessed such a brave and confidant woman, she makes me so proud.

I am angry at how she has been treated throughout this process and truly believe that if she was a man, she would have been treated better.

If the situation was reversed and Barak Obama was behind by 100 or so delegates, his supporters, the media, etc. would all be cheering him on to continue and try.

But all I've heard from the media and from the Democratic Party – like Bill Richardson, and Ted Kennedy, and Patrick Leahy and all the male party elders – is that Hillary should leave the race because she is hurting their "precious" Obama.

I will support whatever Hillary does, but I certainly hope the Democratic party leadership is ashamed of their treatment towards Hillary Clinton and the media has decided this election, in my opinon.

May 14, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. KA, Canada

Being an Obama supporter, I have to say that I am saddened by the posts here by other Obama supporters. HRC may not be our choice, but given the alternative, she should be held with the same respect we give Barack. The differences are not that great and IF she is the nominee I would expect the Obama supporters to fall in line. The same goes to Clinton supporters should Obama be the nominee. Another 4 years of GWB would kill the USA along with many other nations, Canada included.

11. Joyce, NY

She's a WOMAN you idiots! It's part of who we are – we can very tough and withstand the pains of child birth but we do get emotional.

Who wouldn't be proud of a daughter like Chelsea? Most of you morons are not even half of who she is. Any mother would choke up just realizing what a wonderful individual she turned out to be.

Lastly, you Obamarobots – HAVE SOME RESPECT! She's done a lot for this county than any of you and your candidate has ever done!

CNN I am so begging you to post this.

12. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Tex..

You, and those who think like you are pathetic

13. Carolina Girl

So what's wrong with pride in her daughter? She's human....
    and she has human emotions. Do unto others....

Sure is better than what we've seen from those hard-hearted people currently in power, with their offenses against humans; "we against them."

14. RCB

There is no more manipulative prevaricator in modern American political history. I look forward to the great wave of Schadenfreude when she finally is compelled to concede. Let's hope her racist comments have stopped and she is not offered the Veep spot, for which the 2 for 1 Clinton combo is remarkably ill-qualified.

15. Ben, MD

Here she goes again!!!

Oregon is coming, no wonder the "fighter" becomes the weeper...

"White American" Ladies, that's a sign for you, but "don't you believe it!"...

16. Harry

CNN should focus on some real issues like earthquake in china, cyclone in Myanmar, Fire Disaster in Florida or Economy problems of world rather than on Sen. Clinton. She will do anything to get this nomination and CNN will probably leave no stone unturned to project her.
    Getting tired now....

17. Bright From Milwaukee

Hillary give me a break!!! You have tried all the tricks in the books, wipe your crocodile tears and just move on, it's over!!!

Shame on you Hillary

OBAMA '08

18. tammie1

I hope ALL you naysayers are not parents or ever plan to breed.

What a bunch of cold-hearted, cut-throat Obama supporter you are. You do him proud... and, do him NO favors here.

CNN stop censoring me!

19. Suziku

Oh no, here we go again! Will she try to cry her way to the nomination? New Hampshire all over again? God forbid!

20. alice2Fresno,CA

WHO CARES ?????? i AM NOT MOVED, NOT ONE INCH. To me Hillary is a Chronic Liar, completely untrustworthy. She is hoping something will happen in the Obama Camp to knock him out of the race, or she wants help paying off her debt to her own campaign in the amt. of 20 million. She is in it for her own political gain, she does not care about the so called "blue-collar worker". She is more interested in building her own Clinton Dynasty. Must be Delusional.

21. Derek from NC

I'm a strong Obama supporter who used to support Hillary until i listen to debates, became turned off by Clinton's tactics, flip flips and lies, and finally by her campaign ( Geraldine Ferrato, PA Governor, Bill Clinton, and finally Hillary herself) bringing race into the campaign once Obama established himself as the leader. Though I'm skeptical because as much as I loved and supported the Clintons, I've seen another side of them in this race, i will take her at her word right now that she will do what it takes to unite the party once Obama officially becomes the nominee. Her and the Clintons overall legacy in the Democratic Party depends on it.

22. John, OH

This has already been said a few news items down.

Well, that's a nice sentiment, anyway.

23. EXPERIENCE FOR TEXANS

Why is it that all the Obama supporters can call Clinton all sorts of names but when you say something bad about Obama it is racist????

Hypocrites!

Why is it that the Obama supporters want her to drop out before everyone has voted? Would you want the same if the tables were turned or would that be called racism too?

Hypocrites!

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Damion K. Miles

I'm not doubting that her tears were genuine. She probably had no intentions on crying in this interview. However, it must be noted that every time she's been on the brink of extinction in this race, she cries for some reason or another. Hold you emotions, woman. Wait, is that possible? I am definitely letting my chauvenistic side come out here, but, come on, Hillary. Enough with the crying!!!!! What are you going to do when that phone rings at 3AM, cry?

Seriously, she sounds as if she's ready to let the world know that she knows she's going to lose. There is no confidence in anytning she's saying. If you listen to anybody in Hillary's camp talking about wining this nomination, it has nothing to do with the rules. They all explain how she can win if they change the rules. Forget about it! The rules are the rules. She agreed to every one of the rules as they are today. The only reason she wants to change the rules is because she's losing. LOSING!!!!! Nobody thinks she's a quitter. She lost! Quitting and losing are two different things. Does she understand that?

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Mark

Mark From Atlanta:

I have written 50 posts over the last few weeks. I have been fair and nice to everyone. Why want CNN include the views of those who don't think the race is over until the last vote is counted?

Regardless of who wins the nomination, we are all still important.

By the way, FOX News has posted ALL of my comments. CNN none.

Thanks if you post this.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |