May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. eva

It looks like Sen.Obama's supporters so call "education" and "intelligence" does not go along with their humanity!!!.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. John

Pathetic! No sympathy for the emotionally weak!

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Letha, Sioux Falls, SD

The funny Obamanation groupies are at it again. My mom taught me better manners than to harp on someone the way you do. Try to play like you actually have the education Obama and the polls say you have. You are why I will vote McCain plus Obama's lack of experience helps.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. tblno

Is she gonna cry when China, or Iran, or North Kor. threatens wars?

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. Dave

Hillary isn't a fake... do you remember a guy named George... now there's a fake. Parents can get emotional about their children... stuff happens... wait until you've got adult children, then post back and lets us all now how you feel.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Jacqueline Patterson

This lady will stop at nothing. I don't trust her or her husband. She thinks the white house is owed to her and her family. She is such a sore loser. She plays on the uneducated Americans because she thinks they believe anything and so far they've fallen for it. Too bad more people will not broaden their minds or least try to.

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. JAB

What is really bothering the Obama-ites is that it is not over until this great lady in the pantsuit says that it is over! Go Hillary!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. MC, Maryland

CNN disregard my previous remark.

After thinking about it, I am a mother of a young girl and I can relate to Hillary's emotions on this one. My daughter is so special to me and I'm sure in Hillary's fragile state, just the mention of Chelsea and the role she played in this campaign is very emotional for Hillary.

9. Prescott

The more I see of you Obama followers, the more you come off as sick, soulless thugs trying to beat the rest of party into submission. The idea of following a leader who inspires such squalling tyrants makes me ill.
    I've been a Democrat for nearly 15 years, my entire adult life. You are a frightening lot and I cannot imagine joining you.

10. Atobra, MN

I washed the interview and did not see her choke up and i dont know why CNN make this up and wants it to be a news.

I hope CNN post this comment since they always fails to post my comments.

11. Dr. Truth, Boston

Clinton supporters are awesome. They ignore the facts and keep on goin'. I love the ones who post they Obama supporters are blind cult followers and then accuse his supoprters of going negative.

This is just an example of the many similar posts ON THE CLINTON WEBSITE:

YES I WILL
    OBAMA IS A NO CHOICE FOR ME!AND WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE,AS HE PLAYS THE MEDIA TO GET THE WORD OUT THAT WE WILL SUPPORT HIM BECAUSE WE ARE DEMOCRATES.WELL HAS HE FORGOTTON THAT MANY WERE (R)-THAT WE CAN GO BACK TO (R) before my heart will take the next beat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The question is.Why are the media so afraid and Obama.Because they know that once the other states are done and Hillary gets those.

It doesn't matter what they say the media and Obama it's not flying.

by troyb at 5/11/2008 3:55:09 PM

12. GCG - Austin, TX

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    She's a proud mother, and has every right to be.

I think she and her daughter are both wrong and that Hillary would be a horrible president given how she has completely mismanaged her campaign and the constant elitist belief that she is somehow entitled to the nomination; but, if I had my son or daughter out there working really hard for something I believed in, then I'd probably choke up a bit when talking about how proud they made me to.

Keep it positive folks, this might just be true feelings coming out.

13. leon

No way we Hillary's supporters will vote for OBAMA. What a silly thought from H. Dean, Nancy Pelosi. Kennedy and other leaders of the DNC to think that after misstreating Senator Clinton during the whole process, showing clear favoritsm, not aasking the media to be fair to both candidates, pressing Clinton to kind of cover Obama's lack of experience and not being vetted, allowing sexism and not steping up against racial issues from Obama's campaing that now we should support Obama.

Obama has not been vetted. Obama is not the different kind of politician he says he is. He has shown that he is an average and vulgar politician, very ambitious that will betrayed his own pastor and friends. WE do not trust him, we do not identify with him.

Senator McCain seems to be a more experienced, honest, with a real record of going bipartisan in so many issues in Congress and will be a much better president for regular and average Americans

14. NANITO

I THINK THIS IS ANOTHER DISPLAY OF MANUFACTURED EMOTION. SHE DOES THESE THINGS VERY EASILY, WITH NO GUILT OR SHAME. REMEMBER THAT, WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, SHE LIED ABOUT DUCKING AND RUNNING TO AVOID SNIPER FIRE IN BOSNIA.

15. Lola

Hillary is the best candidate! Hussein Obama is a just an insult for this country! I'll never ever vote for this lier, empty, arrogant, racist guy!

16. K in CT

Hillary is an amazing woman. Most Mothers are! We give life, nuture, advise, we tend ills, we chauffer, feed, support, we pray, fight, love, forgive, cry, we listen, we manage and most of all we cherish our children and families and are fully capable of succeding in getting to the top of the pile for our families. This is also true of Hillary as a President. She will put us ( the nations children ) back on top of the World. GO HILLARY '08 !

17. NGANGA,Austin TX

OMG!!!!!!!!

18. Amanda

Well it is so obvious from the comments on this thread that the pro-Obama people are out in full force! Their venomous hatred makes me ill!

Good for Hillary – at least her daughter is proud of this country and her mother which is more than I can say for Michelle Obama!

Obviously, if Obama gets the nomination I will be going McCain in November! Forget about party unity....the DNC has personally seen to it that will never happen by not letting the voices in Michigan and Florida be heard!

19. Catherine

Thank Hillary Clinton for making the statement that your supporters should NOT vote for McCain if Obama becomes the nominee. I know this is the same way Obama feels if Clinton becomes the nominee.

Supporting the Democrats 110%!!!!!!

20. Oxun

ohh please,
    she grew up and the white house and wnats her children and grand children to continue living there forever,
    dyansty..

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. Robert L. Brown

It never ceases to amaze me the level of ignorance that goes into these responses, I am a supporter and volunteer for the Obama candidacy and the level of general disrespect that is being shown here is simply appalling. How many of you could honestly put yourself on the line and withstand the scrutiny that these candidates put themselves through in order to serve. Yes they asked for it by being candidates, but have we become so tainted by our system that we can no longer muster a modicum of genuine respect that all of these candidates deserve?

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  22. Eminem in GA

Tex,

It's obvious you're one of the non-college educated Hillary supporters. Learn to proof and spell check your postings...and it would help if you heard Michelle'e ENTIRE set of comments instead of the snippet and opinions fed to you by the MSM. I won't even comment on the Rev. Wright thing because, again, you prove yourself to be uneducated on the facts but perfectly accepting of lies and character attacks which have nothing to do with the real issues going on in this country.

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Oxun

no more clinton dynasty

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Why McCain

_____________________ ^ ____________________
    Anyone still wondering why Hillary supporters will be voting for McCain can read above this comment for a good reasons.

May 14, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. gerard morei

Just a simple question to the Obama (educated ?) supporters; did you ever got emotional with a member of your family because you are proud or for anything else? Probably not because you are so educated that is no room for family values. That's why Hillary supporters have better values that you have (with the exeption of a few). I did not finish college, but I'm very proud of my family achievements and I also get emotional because of my family success. Obama supporters shoul your education, not with a diploma,but with your comments.
    a Hillary supporter.