May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Randy M

Why oh why CNN do you keep pandering to this fake. I don't question that she loves her daughter but I do believe they have pimped her out for this campaign. If she is so mature why is she never allowed to speak to reporters? Because of fear she'll say something other than the scripted dribble that's been rehearsed for months. C'mon Hillary, you fooled people once in NH, do you really think we're that stupid?...but then again, look at WV, maybe we are!!!

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. MarkMN

Is there a reason we should believe anything she says or does?

Are we supposed to believe the Clintons set some sort of standard of greatness or establshed a moral authority while in the White House?

It is about her and nothing else.

Beware of the Dragon Lady !!!!

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Brenda Miller

You Obama supporters are the most critical jerks. So Hillary choked up talking about her daughter, why is that wrong? How come Obama didn't choke up when he was talking about his racist minister. But I guess 20 years listening to the hate being preached didn't bother him.

Hillary 08

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Rho

guess my comments won't get posted because I am definately not falling for this pathetic womans's shenaningans! anyhow, as I said, Wolf, thought you were above this

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Richard

I wonder if she was hit with sniper fire on her way into CNN studios...

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. HSNP

At least she doesn't whine like Obama "Just let me eat my waffle"!!!

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Outsider

Eliot, Mark, Joyce etc etc...

Don't you people ever get tired of HATING?

I feel sorry for your families, friends (if you have any) and girl/boy-friends (if you have any) that they have to listen to this venom that you obviously love to spew.

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. Sally

Go Hillary, you can win.

Hillary 08

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. Corey, Maryland

Again with the crying....... I hate her so much, but i dont really care cause she has no chance at winning the nomination.

Obama Richardson 2008

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Pro-Hillary Voter

If Hillary is "a fake" (as "Mark" commented), then what is Obama?!

Obama only cut relations with his pastor AFTER the media pressure got out of control, 20 years later!

Obama only now started to win a flag pin because many Americans still believed he is not patriotic! For how many months has Obama campaigned WITHOUT a pin?!

Clearly, some of Obama's religious and political convictions are very labile and will change for political gain.

May 14, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. Andrew

Clinton had a very devisive win in West Virginia.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Jai in PA

The real important story from this interview is that Clinton stated that it would be a "grave error" to vote for McCain over Obama. Democrats need to show Clinton and her supporters respect – all of us will be necessary to win in November. This is obviously an emotional journey for all candidates so we should expect to see different emotions expressed during the campaign. Do not fall for the Republicans who pose as Obama supporters criticizing Clinton – it is designed to drive a wedge between the Democratic Party – don't let it work. We must unite.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. kamenwati

Save the tears for the Obama inaguration ceremony.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Butch Dillon

Strip out the emotion and let her continue to choke.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. MarkMN

Her adult, highly educated daughter is protected on the campain trail and barely allowed to stand on her own.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Lola

Hillary will stop at nothing. Crying one moment and laughing with wide, botoxed mouth the next. No one beleives your little acts, Billary. If you are so choked up, stay in the kitchen and bake some cookies like good mothers do. Bye-bye, Hillary. Sob, sob.

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. Beca

Obama supporters, so disrespecful people, feel sorry for the future of this country!

May 14, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  18. NNgirl

You hatefull, ugly, arogant Obama supporters and your hatefull, ugly, arogant Obama are precisely the reason I will never vote for Obama. My family and I will support McCain in the GE if Hillary is not the nominiee.

May 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. Mistertee

May be Hillary should start considering being Mccain's running -mate if after May 20 she hasnt thrown in the Towel. She should by now know that America cannot have Two Women Controlling both the CONGRESS (Pelosi) and the Presidency, should she emerge.

May 14, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Ardnuas

I would have so much respect for her if she would quit, and help unite the party..... She would be a GREAT Supreme Court Justice or Majority Leader in the Senate.
    Obama/Hagel ( I want Chuck Hage to be VP)

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Me, Myself, and I

A majority of you Obama supporters are cold and heartless; the very thing you paint Hillary as being. That's why this democrat will vote McCain.

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  22. MK

Can't fault her for loving her daughter. I think every mother understands.

However, I can fault her for possibly blowing the Democratic race because for her outrageous ego, upcoming book deal, or both.

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. Cape Cod

Good for her, she is showing how proud she is a MOTHER of the hard work her daughter is doing.
    For you Obama supporters; you make me sick & ashamed of how rude & degradating you are to people who do not think like you do. You absolutely remind of the stories about the cults of the past–if someone doesn't believe in what you believe right away they are uneducated hillbilly half-breeds who doesn't know their left hand from their right. YOU are supposed to be "educated" group yet the venom you spew all over these blogs are downright infantile.

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  24. charmaine, greenlawn,ny

Last night, I said that Give hillary a shot to cry again so she could gain some more empathy votes. Well here it is- happened much sooner than I thought.
    Yes! We Can!!!

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  25. Cathy

Come on Obama supporters, will you let up on Clinton already. And please Clinton supporters....support the Democratic nominee even if it wasn't your choice.

Our country is in a very fragile state right now so let's not continue this petty bickering and defeat ourselves in the November election.

We need to come together and defeat McCain!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |