May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Philly

Tex Obama's children a way younger than 20 they couldn't be listening to the rev for 29 years.

May 14, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. dave

keep on slagging her,,and enjoy the moment as many of us clinton supporters will,when you come looking for our votes.do you really think that we will forget that according to obama and his crew that anybody that supports clinton is nothing more then stupid white racists.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. Shelton

I don't want my President to cry. They're supposed to be a figure of strength, someone who can motivate and rally the country, not bring us down and feel beat. I understand that she cried this time because she's proud, ok. . . cool, I do the same. But during NH she cried because campaigning was difficult. Come on, life is difficult, you cant breakdown and cry. I'm waiting for someone to quote Tom Hank "There's no crying in baseball"

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  4. daniel

Nice try but won't work this time.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Bond

She choke and almost cried today,,,, watch tomorrow, she is going to yell and scream. You just never know what you are getting. How do you vote for her. Too emotional to give the nuke button to.

I don't mind a woman president,,,but just not this one. There are better choices. May Cindy McCain.

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  6. GAIL MANZO

you fools how dare you wait until rezco, the remarks about 911 or have you fools forgotten hillary is a good person and a fighter not a dancing fool

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Karlo Hernandez

I LOVE you HILLARY!

You are the best. You are amazing. I can't wait to see you in the White House. Let's keep the fiasco out.

Why can't you all accept that Hillary has feelings and that she's a human being. Then again, I understand your jealousy. She has accomplished a lot, more than any of you will ever do in four lifetimes. Losers.

Hillary 2008 all the way!

May 14, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. Latinos for Obama 08

Well I finally have some respect for Hillary again am happy to heard that she would want her supporters to vote for Obama if he is the nominee and put an end to this negative campaign. I would hope the Obama supporters would do the same. No McCain that would just be stupid.

9. Rene in PA

This is news?

Wow CNN. Can you make it any more abundantly clear how much you support Hillary?

Speaking of which, would someone at CNN care to explain why Glenn Beck's article from weeks ago is still listed on the front of your Commentary section?

10. Shawn did it

I bet she wouldn't obliterate Israel if they attacked Lebanon, again. She's a hypocrite, a scam, a cheat, and a liar.

Ron Paul, on the other hand, deserves his face on Mount Rushmore.

11. Inter-racial Mom in Arizona

I'm anxious to see the interview this evening and have a good look into her comments. Stop with the negative comments people. Being hateful gets you no where. Hasn't Obama taught us all that???

Obama 08

12. Tired of W, OH

To all of you "I'll vote for McCain" Hillary supporters out there (the ones that aren't Operation Chaos morons): Hillary has said that it would be a mistake for her supporters to vote for McCain if she is not the nominee. This is one of the few good things that she's said lately, and CNN doesn't have it in the ticker for discussion? First, you don't mention Obama's new super delegate pick-ups and now this?

13. Realistic

She should be crying because the Democratic Party has a flawed candidate in Obama who will never win the General Election and her party has blown it once again.

14. Jen

This lady is such a liar. Here we go again with the crocodile tears.

15. Miss S

Hillary showed incredible grace and dignity in this interview. Thank you Wolf for treating her with respect and conducting a good interview.

16. Andy

With a mother like Hillary I would be scared to death NOT supporting my mom. Hillary would go ballistic.
    Keep Chelsea OUT OF THIS.
    It makes me sad how a mother can use her own child like this.
    The reason is so clear: all the older women should feel sympathy what a "nice and sweet" family the Clintons are.....(NOT!!!!)

17. Paul

Nice! But if being proud of your daughter is qualification to be President, Obama has twice the qualifications. He has two! ;-)

18. Mike in PA

Whenever she is looking for an exploit on goes the waterworks.

19. huh?

One post maybe . . . . . but two? 55 minutes apart from each other? It's fine if the ticker is meant to reflect editorial preferences but don't you guys tout yourselves as "the best political team on TV? " Do you mean team as in part of Clinton's team? Kind of shameless don't you think?

20. Sick and Tired

Sorry Hillary, tears will not work this time. Everyone is on to you and know that you are trying to destroy Obama. Do you really think we will support you in 2012 knowing the type of snake you have been within the last few weeks. If the Dems lose in November, they WILL blame YOU no matter how many tears you shed.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. The Chubster

Now watch what happens... During the remaining five primaries, you will see a lot more of the "vulnerable, emotional" Clinton. She can't beat the "white American" drum anymore, as she did in West Virginia, and not be called out as a race baiter (which she is). If she went ultra negative right now she'd be seen as bitter. This is the next to last trick in the book; pulling out the "traveling pants", sisterhood, having an Oprah moment schtik to try to corner the female vote. The last option she has is go all out and switch back to dumping black paint all over Obama as she did in the southern primaries.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Steven

This was such a lovely moment. I'm disappointed, though, that of everything of substance she said in that long interview, you go for the "female is crying" moment.

It's sad to see so many posters here denigrating her, making her into some kind of fairy tale character, as if she is inhuman, without emotions. As a psychologist, I find these sorts of responses disturbing, and indicative of a culture that is quickly sinking into serious pathology and lack of empathy.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Hms

The posts here are so ridicolous... it was a personal momemt and all these negative people need to just SHUT UP.... go ask you mother if she cries when she is proud of you...

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. voter Arizona

You Obama supporters are the most vile people I have ever seen. Any mother know when you talk about your children and the pride you feel makes you get choked up and cry. I know that is how I am about my children. Maybe you are so full of hatred you don't get it. Maybe you people need to grow up. This had nothing to do with getting votes. If you are representive of his voters we need to be very worried.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  25. 28, AFRO-AMERICAN Clinton supporter!

I think it's sad that people(typically Obama's young, educated, and immature voters) are sooooooooooo mean!!!!!! You try putting your life in the public eye and see how you fare out!!!

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |