May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Terrell

That lady in the pant suit and the cankles need to chill out

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Frank

As a Obama supporter from day one, and never liking the Clinton's at all (Voted Perot '92) I could take this moment to trash Hillary again.But I'm not going to,after what she said about it being a mistake for Dems to vote for McCain and not Obama that support her.I will vote for any Dem that wins to keep McCain out of office,yes even a Clinton.So as of today my Hillary trashing days over.

May 14, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Carl

What's funny about the Obama over McCain comment from her is that McCain is more of a democrat by defintion that Obama. Obama is more of a socialist and a communist that tries to use democratic policty to justify his thinking.

McCain says he's a Republican, but follows through with Democratic policies (pro war, pro taxes, pro government spending)...

It's funny to me....

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Matt

She didn't choke up with emotion... she threw up in her own mouth a little listening to her ridiculous rhetoric spew forth.

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Philly

sorry that should read.
    Tex, Obama's children are way younger than 20. They could not have been listening to the rev. for over 20 years.

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. ed lawrenceville

More phony theatrics!!! Please,why don't you,bill and chelsea all get lost!! By the way you should buy that little boy a bike since he wasted his money!!!

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. georgia jones

After all the nastiness, she should be crying, from guilt!!!

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. Del

Doesn't anyone understand YET ? that there is nothing genuine that would ever come out of hillarys mouth. She feels nothing true or real she wants what she wants when she wants it. Doesn't understand why everyone doesn't agree with her. Camera rolling she tries to sound human. I bet before going to bed she has to think about some of the things she's said and gets a good laugh, those idiots believed that line. She really doesn't think anyone can see thru her same as billy they're cut from the same patern. wake up people

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  9. E. R. Jordan

Uh, Tex, The Obama children are 6 and 9. YOU do the math!!

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. V in CA

BEAUTIFUL! What a heartfelt moment. It's wonderful to see genuine feeling being expressed by a strong, feminine woman. GO HILLARY.

Posted by one of over 17 million voters who have voted for Sen. Clinton so far. We exist, we matter, and the Democrats can't win in November without us.

May 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. stephanie, Washington

Obama supporter,
    Be nice to Hillary, it's natural to all mothers to feel emotion to their children when Chelsea is working very hard for her mom. It doesn't mean she will not be a strong and tough president. She is not a liar to show her emotion. I can understand Hillary because I'm a mother too.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  12. beverly

The question was asked of her about what she meant about getting tough with opec, which she never answered. Wolf Blitzer did not push her enough about what she meant with her comment. he good at evading answers. She talk the talk and that's that.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Toni

Hillary got emotional because she was talking about her daughter.She is not using this as a ploy.There are many times I get emotional when I talk about my children,especially when they do something that feels me with awe and pride.Unfortunately,the critics will find just about anything to bash Hillary.These are the same critics who will forgive everything Obama says and does.Stop attacking her for every little thing.Try to acknowledge she has been running a phenomenal campaign worthy of pride for an incredible woman.
    I still hope she will be our nominee and President of the U.S.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Penny from California

What an amazing woman. I voted for her, and will stand by her until the last vote is counted. She will always have my full respect, and admiration. She loves our country. Thank you Hillary Rodham Clinton.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Tee

TEX- GOOGLE TIM J. WISE-WHITE LIKE ME
    Timjwise@msn.com. You could benefit from reading his work.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Terrell "TJ" Jackson

This is my first time posting a comment on one of these blogs; but I MUST do it now!!

The way the Republicans are losing House Seats in "heavily" favored republican districts...if I were John McCain I would be "very" worried about November. And I can truly understand why Senators Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton are vying for the Democratic Nomination so vigorously...November could be a "walk in the park" for the Democratic Party!!!

As a 21 year-old AMERICAN, I can honestly say that I have never been 'this" excited or inclined with U.S. Politics!!

Obama '08 & '12 (United WE Stand...Divided WE Fall : )

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. A Woman From Missouri

I'm an Obama supporter, but I must say I was moved to tears by this side of Hillary. A side I wish we had seen more of during the campaign.

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. mandi08

NO SUPPORT FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO WAY I WILL GIVE VOTE TO SOMEONE WHO HAS A SUCH HATEFUL SUPORTERS, NO WAY.
    YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CORRODING DEMOCRATIC PARTY. NO VALUES, UNDERSTANDING, FRIENDSHIP I OBAMAS CAMPAIN, JUST WILD BUNCH OF MEAN PEOPLE. MR. WRIGHT HAS A BIG AFFECT ON YOU GUYS, YOU LEARN HATE VERY QUICKLY, TOOKS OBAMA 20 YEARS, BUT 15 MONTHS TOOK YOU. NO WAY I WILL SUPPORT THIS MAN!!!!
    PRIMARY ARE NOT OVER, HILLARY WILL STAY UNTILL SHE DECIDE TO STEP DOWN AND SHE WILL DO WITH GRACE!!!!
    INDEPENDENT PARTY IS WAITHING !!!!

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  19. Joyce memphis, tn

To all of you who accuse Hillary of playing the "crying game" Please have a heart. She is proud of her daughter. I have a toddler and I get emotional at times when I think of how much he has grown, and he's only 3. So imagine watching your child, who is all grown up, articulant, and intelligent, stumping for you in public rallies. You would get emotional too. I sometimes get emotional when my son points at me and say "That's my momma."

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. patrick b

I'm done being angry about all this. BRING THE PARTY BACK TOGETHER. :)

May 14, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  21. a turnip could beat mccain

ease up. i'm sure her emotions are sincere. i have a daughter and i can imagine feeling the same way. these kinds of petty attacks against her are not helpful. stick to the issues that matter, like her pandering with the gas tax idea and her intentionally polarizing the party by apealling to the archie and edith bunker's of america.

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. Toni

oops......fills me with pride

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. Sandy

How can I share a country with such vile, hateful people?

Hillary knows what she's doing and she's the best person for the job of president, regardless of what you vile haters think.

Go ahead and vote for Mr. Slick . . . you'll get exactly the president you deserve.

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. Bobby

I'm an Obama supporter but I do respect Hillary. It's something about her fighting spirit that moves me.

Obama '08

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Rick

She's only crying because she completely blew what was a slam-dunk gimme structured solely for her coronation at the beginning of the primary process. Give Obama credit, but her campaign will go down as one of the biggest failures in american political history.

May 14, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |