May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Juliet/55 YEAR OLD WHITE LADY FOR PA

Enough Billary, get out already, your tears are fake. PLEASE MOVE ON ALREADY.

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Jay

The nasty vicious remarks by the Obama supporters are rude, mean and uncalled for. Mrs; Clinton is a wonderful, strong and caring woman. I am sure you will all be crying huge tears when your boy Obama loses in a landslide to McCain. Now you know why us Hillary supporters will stay home instead of voting for OBama. Because you, his supporters and your sneering condescending ways.

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. piecrust

To the hateful Obama supporters – I will have the last laugh in November, sure hope McCain wins. You are a bunch of nasty, uneducated, stupid, vicious, you are the lowest of the low, get a life!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. JC

I hope the women don't fall for this again

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Belle

Prior to showing contempt...why don't you WATCH the entire interview?

Clinton also said she would campaign her heart out for the nominee, and said it would be a grave mistake NOT to vote for Obama if he is the nominee....but your derogatory comments about Senator Clinton REALLY makes it hard for me to even want to vote for Obama.

Why don't you direct your hatred where it belongs....the media that spins EVERY single comment to death, tries to guess what a different meaning could be....in my day, you actually went to the source and asked the person what he/she meant!

For being the supposed "educated" ones, you sure don't sound very open minded to me.....

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Justin

Also everyone she did'nt ask for the question about her daughter....they asked it you all seem heartless

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Nathaniel

There's no crying in presidential politics! Someone need to tell that woman to sack up.

May 14, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Gram

Hillary and her daughter have the kind of relationship that most mothers and daughters would love to be part of. Obama is just too inexperienced to have gone this far, without someone unknown pushing his case...As a 68 yr old retired professional woman, I think it's time for an experienced woman to take the reins of this country!

May 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. AK

Obama's tongue in cheek replies and his wife's tones are quite unpalatable. Obama 08 supporter's vicious comments make me cringe to think about the quality of people surrounding him.

It is offensive to see how a woman politician is being treated in this country.

May 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Becky

As mother we are all proud of our children, I still choke up with my son's every milestone, which is not limited to, he learn't to say happy mother's day having said that its still OBAMA 08. full speed to the white house.

May 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Terry

It's nice to see someone who doesn't fumble through the thought process like Obama when they speak. Of course, when you ask him a question he has no idea about and tries to sound good he goes "I agree with Hillary" or "What Hillary said".. If Nobama wins the nomination it will be a sad yet sweet victory for all us this primary seasons come November when he loses who have said.
    NO HE CAN'T. Of course, then it will be NO HE DIDN'T. I think I'll add WE TOLD YOU SO KOOLAID DRINKERS!

Nobama...

Hillary 08!

May 14, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

NEW NEWS FROM: HUFFINGTON POST:

The Obama campaign has announced a "major national endorsement" for a rally tonight at 7pm in Michigan, and the rumor mill is swirling that it is none other than Sen. John Edwards. Time's Mark Halperin is teasing as much at his Web site, with a photo of Edwards and the text, "Ready to choose? Ready to hope?"

Edwards has certainly dropped some hints in recent days. He's chided Hillary Clinton over her comments about race, said he can't figure out how Clinton could ever win the nomination, and even said he planned to endorse the person he voted for in North Carolina's primary, using (it seems) the word "him."

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. Bob

Well, she hasn't done the tears in a while and since she's running out of tacks, tears is as good a way as any.

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. Stacey

Hey Tex, Michelle's kids are to young to have listened to Rev. Wright for 20 years, jerk! I'm sure the Obama kids will be proud Americans. Look back at your comment and see how stupid it is.

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  15. David

BO supporters are some of the nastiest people I've ever heard speak in my life.
    Why are you all sounding so insane?
    Isn't your candidate winning? What exactly is your problem???

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Jason

Not this time. We're sick and tired of these Clintonian antics.

May 14, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  17. Justin

Diane

How do you know she isnt crying for all those people you listed!

When she talks about them you can tell she is sympathetic to them but she can't cry everytime!

You people expect a perfect robot for president and you are showing that Obama is that robot by saying these things..

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. Oscar, Rio Vista, CA

She makes me choke every time I have to look at her.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. kim

GIVE ME A FLIPPIN BREAK

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  20. dgaj'kg

you would believe this if you are woman and with kids. you would't say something like "God bless her" if you believe God.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  21. Mr. Sprinkles 3004

Last time I saw tears like this I was making a cheese sandwich and almost threw it at my neighbor. Can someone tell Hilary Clinton she is not invincible.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  22. dmw

How can some of the commenters on this post be so cruel when talking about Hillary Clinton. She is not a fake, she is crying because she has pride in her daughter. I get so tired of the meanness of some of the American people. How would you feel if someone said something bad about you when you show honest emotions.

This is not a Christian nation, this is a nation of haters and I am sick and tired of it!!! Grow up people.

WE LOVE HILLARY!!!

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. GreenQueen

What's wrong with showing emotion when expressing pride in your children? It's beautiful and REAL! Maybe if MEN shed a few more tears instead of pissing all over this country...we'd be in much better shape.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. Michael WA

What are you all blabbling about? She is showing some true emotion and you trash her, when she doesn't show emotion and acts "robotic" or "cold", you trash her. Isn't it in human nature to be proud of our children? Is it wrong to show emotion when your child marries or when your child reaches a milestone in their lives? Won't you cry if your child died? I'm a father and I bet I would get emotional if I walked my daughter down the aisle. I bet if she didn't show emotion when talking about how proud she is of Chealsea, I bet we would hear how she is being fake and robotic and whatnot. So she is fake when she shows emotion and she's fake for not showing emotion...great. You Hillary haters are full of crap!

HILLARY CLINTON 2008

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. georgia

How many personalities living in there ?? I was once a supporter but have become not only disillusioned but also a bit scared by the quick changes , outright lies & lack of concern for the party as a whole.Her way or no way (e.g. effort to change various rules & various times) doesn't fly with me . ???You don't know what to expect on any given day.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |