May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. MAJITU

Here we go again...crying to get votes. wow..how low can you go

May 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

OMG...here we go again...going for the sympathy vote, just like in New Hampshire!!!

Hey Wolf, why did you ask for our questions for Barack but you didn't do the same for Hillary?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3. Tjaye

I'm not a supporter and I want to call it a show (which I believe it is), but she did a great job raising Chelsea. We didn't get stories of Chelsea sneaking into bars and drinking. She and Bill, BOTH SHOULD be proud of how well they did.

But....nevertheless...

Obama Oh-8!!

4. Dale

Will she "Choke up" when she decides to "obliterate Iran with nuclear weapons" as she said she would if they didn't back of Israel?

Of course, she won't, because it doesn't help her political career. That cold hearted witch.

5. Team Obama

I like Chelsea, but her Mother and Father will die before they give up. It is ruining us as Democrats.

6. Paul

Hillary we love you and support you all the way!!!
    We need a Clinton to restore our broken economy

FLA and Michigan must count, they are Americans

Obama can be your VP until he learns how to do the job. He might eventually be ready in the future.

America cannot be entrusted to him as a guinea pig for an experiement in the lab.

Hillary 08 – Yes you will!!!
    Puerto Rico, Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky for Clinton!!!

7. ed

this woman has no shame...another tear jerker....she needs to move to hollywood...

8. Steve Mc

Is this the story???????

Blitzer imploded in NH.....when is HE going to quit......Larry King can do the interviews to get factual info, and he is respectful of whoever he interviews!

9. from CT

I think her daughter would make a good president one day. I hope Obama wins for the next 8 years, and then her daughter goes for it after.

10. BGIV in NC

Again with the crocodile tears. Fool me once..............

11. John Smith

What, a President chokes up? Unfortunately, Hillary did not have the judgement and experience needed to raise a "daughter." This is really selfish on Haillry's part- sacrifice even your own daughter!

12. V4OBAMA

Well that was very touching. I support Obama, but it's nice to see some REAL emotions from Hillary. If your own children don't make you tear up when your proud of them, then you're just not human.

13. Martin in PA

If Obama teared up, it would be ridiculed as a sign of weakness. But Hillary can use this ploy whenever she wants to get the "sympathy vote." Ridiculous. Those are crocodile tears!!!!

14. New York

Hey, it worked in New Hampshire... MSNBC took some heat because one of the commentators said the Clintons were "pimping" Chelsea. That was a strong word, but the truth is with Hillary everything is in play when it comes to getting votes.

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. Jaime

Why would I want to keep the same two families in power for 20 years (Clintons/Bushes)?

Just say no to dictatorships...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE (SMART PEOPLE).

OBAMA '08

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. Jeff

Congrats on last night Hillary.

Hillary – the most qualified presidential candidate to come along in a lifetime – and we all have the pleasure of seeing history being made.

Go Hillary.

Hillary '08.

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Republican for Obama

She should be proud of her daughter. Although I don't care for her Hillary's personality I care even less for McCain and I am glad Obama has pretty much won. Let's pull this thing together and change the course of our nation. I am so tired of the loss of hope I have felt. It's time to feel good about ourselves again and work toward a new future.

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  18. Nancy

It's lovely that the only thing you can call out from an entire interview is that this articulate, erudite woman choked up when talking about her daughter. Did the interview generate any actual news?

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. SAM2008

I love this family they are proud of this COUNTRY.

May 14, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. tai

I can see the Obama supporters already, equating her crying as "pandering." How many parents wouldn't get emotional?

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Mike

So proud that you wont let reporters ask her any questions.

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Why did I ever vote and stand by Bill and Hillary in the 90's! I mean I stood by Bill when the GOP wanted to hang him from highest tree in Washington.

May God help us all if they steal this election away from the 1st man of color this nation has ever put forward. Obama will inspire so many young black man to do great things instead of crime, drugs, un-protected sex, ect. I hope and pray the Clintons will see the greater good for our nation and help and support Obama. I do pray and want the best for our kids. They do not understand they could go down in history as the new leaders of civil rights and racial equality. They could be Obama's mentor's, instead of his haters. Go figure!

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Ed, Santa Fe NM

oh BOO HOO..... gimme break with the tears.... god what a nauseatingly manipulative person....

Hey Hillary, what's the latest on your divorce from Bill if you don't get nominated?

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Niky

I am sure Chelsea is good daughter (like any other daughter) and has taken only the best from her parents.

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Allen deLuca - Florida

Sen Clinton and Chelsea, you are not the only ones who care about our country's future, so I invite you to vote for Sen McCain in Nov for the very best outcome of this election year.

May 14, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |