May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Refereck

I just hope to GOD that the world promising OBUMA doesnt make it. You are going to get the surprise of your life if that happens.

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Donna, Long Island, NY

RIGHT ON, TEX!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. Wayne

It worked in New Hampshire but it wont work this time. Sorry Hill..you wont be president..you wont even be VP...I think your reputation is so tarnished you wont even be a Senator.

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Kentucky

She will do anything for a vote
    Obama 08

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. lois

Obama supporters are just plain down nasty! A mother is proud of her daughter and you have to make nasty comments. How sad.

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. Cbeaumon

Again, we have another dig at President Bush. And this is coming from a woman who's husband was a complete joke as a president. He did more to shame the office of President . Why Hillary will not be the nominee? People remember the Clinton years and how it was one scandal after another one. She has nothing new to offer. President Bush has governed by what is the best for this country not by the polls like she does and her husband did.

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. Wayne

She only cries on camera during election years.

May 14, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. mykle

BOO HOO- BOO HOO-Give me more votes, BOO HOO-Don't you feel sorry for me? BOO HOO- I have such a lovely daughter,BOO HOO-Where are my votes from Michigan and Florida?, BOO HOO,BOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. Cali

I would hope Senator Clinton has feelings for her daughter. Yet, it's obvious that this is a repeat report. Remember NH? And it's also been apparent for a very long time that Wolf Blitzer is pro-Clinton and anti-Obama.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Sweetie pie

Enough crying! If you can't take the heat bla,bla bla.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Carol

Well I'm an Obama supporter and this time I actually think she was just proud of her daughter.

Come on people lighten up, Obama has won.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. Frank in Ga

I don't know who makes it harder to support Obama, Barack himself or the people who support him. To have a candidate say it's time to end gutter politics it seems not to have trickled down to his followers. In the same interview Hillary also stated that anyone who supports her that votes for John McCain in the general election would be making a "grave mistake". I quess that qualifies as saying anything to win. I'm a 10 yr. veteran of the US Marine Corps, a veteran of Operation Just Cause ( the 1989 invasion of Panama) and the Gulf War and I get emotional and have pride when I think of my daughters. Now someone call me a cry baby or say I'm weak.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Pete

I'm for Obama but will gladly vote for Hillary if she ends up with the nomination. As to her choking up, so what? It shows that she's human, has feelings and is proud of her daughter. How is that hard to understand? You either don't have a child, aren't proud of them or are just so biased that you (the collective you) can't be objective. Get a life and get a heart.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  14. juan

Thanks to all these so called college educated followers of Obama. You are the reason this country is in the mess it is in. If this is the future of our country, I rather not have a part of it. This comes from a true college educated Puerto Rican which holds a Master Degree and a follower of Hillary who judges people based on their content and not on race . You are truly the reason Barack will not win!!

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. Rosa Birmingham, AL

You people are so hateful that you can't even appreciate a mother's pride in her daughter. I support both of the Dem candidates but the Obama supporters are so militant it makes me wonder. Anyway, McSame is the danger here not Hilary so can you people please get a clue and be nice. Being ugly doesn't help your cause or reflect well on your candidate.

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. Len

Do you think that Hillary will try to run as an Independent or will she take this to the convention for a fight??

May 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Touching Moment

I believe that was a very sincere moment for Hillary Clinton. I haven't always been in agreement with her tactics in this campaign, but as a mother, I know what it feels like to feel so unbelievably proud of your child. I believe that is universal.

Politics aside, no one can doubt how proud she is of her daughter, as any mother would be...

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. clbrune

If she's emotional it's either fake (because she's so wicked and manipulative), or real (and she's just a melodramatic woman). Either way, it's just more fodder for Clinton bashing.

The irrational (even hysterical) treatment heaped upon Clinton knows no shameful limits.

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. Tonya South Carolina

Where did those people park their horses in West Virginia when she was giving her victory speech CNN I want to know!!!!!!!! NOW RIGHT NOW Thats a huge NEWS STORY

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Chanakya

I can understand Clinton's emotions, but there is a little suspicion in my mind that she is not being genuine this time. She could have expressed her emotions privately, in front of a smaller crowd, but not when she was on CNN LIVE!!! There is something wrong going on. Will she gain public Sympathy this time? Let us wait and watch. If Clinton were to be nominated and if at all she became (a BIG IF), I would hate to see her crying when she was supposed to be holding negotiations against tough opponents like Russina, Iranians or North Koreans.

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Alex

I think she finally came back to her sense. She is a smart lady. Had she done this from the beginning her luck might have been different. It is the negative attack Bill and her surrogates waged and finally she joined them than taking the high road. For this round of the game she is out of luck since the numbers and what Obama has demonstrated is better than hers. I hope she will keep her words and support the Democratic nominee.

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. Sheila, Tampa, Florida

I only read the headline and that was enough. When I can't get what I want I'll cry. Stop with the crying and man up Hillary. Its okay to cry but stop doing it in public if you want to be the next president. I know its a trick and there are people who fall for that. Not I.

Sheila

May 14, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  23. Adam

This is good news for Hillary Clinton!

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  24. Bryan

Settle down guys. We need a unified party. Let her walk away on a high note. She's going to get another win, maybe 2. Her husband's legacy deserves it. Remember this is the first time she's said that voting for McCain over Obama would be a huge mistake. Tone down the hate. Her campaign was dirty at times, but she's still a democrat with a lot of capital to help us take back Washington. Like it or not, we need her support and she's willing to give it.

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  25. Ann in Iowa

Heartfelt comments from Hillary about her daughter should make all of us proud, as parents and as children of our own parents.

The rest of these nasty evil comments should be just plain stuffed.

May 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |