May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. bond

Fake and rehearsed tears once again. At least take some acting lessons. Who's campaign is a fairytale now Billary? Get lost, you lost!

May 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Adam from NY

Less choking up, more dropping out. Be a role model.

May 14, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Greg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.Hillary you need to go a-way your daughter may think you would make a good president there are about 60 million who know you would not be. so lady listen the fat lady is singing goodddddddddddd bye.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Andy

Crazy amount of respect for Hilary and Chelsea. They have experienced things that i will never understand.

Not crazy about the emotion though. Republicans can use that and say she is weak.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Chris

We LOVE you Hillary. Dont let the Obama Cult get to you. You will do as you want. Dont let them push you around. I know its hard for a Women to make it, but you have done a wonderful job!

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Rich

Got to love the photo of Hillary on the ticker which is 4x as large as all the other photos. CNN?

Young americans who care about our future predominently support Barack Obama. I'm sorry, but we can't have health care botched yet again by Clinton.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. constance

Crying again???? *shakes head*

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Still Crazy After All These Years

Wolf," Big girls don't cry (that's just an alibi)"- Frankie Valie And The Four Seasons

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Geo from Toronto

Spoken from the heart.,. well done Hillary.. Im sure obama voters will find something wrong with this now.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Heidi

Not the water works again

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. GCG - Austin, TX

She's a proud mother, and has every right to be.

I think she and her daughter are both wrong and that Hillary would be a horrible president given how she has completely mismanaged her campaign and the constant elitist belief that she is somehow entitled to the nomination; but, if I had my son or daughter out there working really hard for something I believed in, then I'd probably choke up a bit when talking about how proud they made me to.

Keep it positive folks, this might just be true feelings coming out.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Sam, Manchester, New Hampshire

Here we go again. Choking up, getting emotional.
    Hillary: "Oh please, no you don't have to vote for me. I'm just crying because life is so difficult. But no-go ahead-vote for Obama. I'll just go cry in the corner."
    Oh come on...why is this a story?

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Leah

I'm not a Hillary supporter, but I've noticed her daughter Chelsea campaigning with her and I must say I felt very moved seeing her along side her mother and was impressed by her.

May 14, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Here We Go Again

Tears, choking up ... next she'll burn her bra. She's supposed to be so tough, yet every time she's down and all but out – she gets misty eyed. Give her some Kleenex and send her to Chelsea.

15. NZ, NJ

Sen. Clinton,

Forget the fact that you are most qualified to lead this country or that you are the true agent of change, but I want you to know that YOU DESERVE TO BE PRESIDENT and after what these so-called Democrats/party elders have done to you and how the Obama-fanatical media has disgustingly selected its inexperienced, media-made, arrogant, sickening golden boy, I no longer consider myself a Democrat and this party has just lost my vote.

16. Abbey

Are you serious?

She's cries yet again.

Chelesa is pretty amazing, but I'm sorry the tears are too much for me to take from this woman.

17. SexyMe

She's crying again.

"There's no crying in baseball." Tom Hanks

18. Debbie

After the constant pummeling from the press and Obama supporters to pull out of this race, even though there are millions and millions of people who support her, she must be feeling an incredible emotional strain. Unfortunately, I know there will be hundreds of unkind and cynical comments posted here from people who don't believe that she is human. Doesn't Obama want you all to be better than that, just as you think he is? (And please note that if the Democratic primary was run the same as the general election where the winner of each state takes all that state's delegates, Clinton would have the delegate lead in this primary.)

19. Derrick

Here we go again!!!!!!!1

20. Ronnie in WVA

Even nicer to admit you are leading your party into another round of polarization – same ol' same ol'

21. What?

yes, hiliary, chelsea knows what a difference a president makes, especially since her dad, her former president made a difference with monica......

22. Dan

Nice one! Hillary playing the fiddle, AGAIN! Even when the media has her back she still can't win. Sorry Hillary, its 2025 not 2209. BOOHOO!

23. Kay, Florida

OH. MY. GOD.

This woman has single-handedly set back so many minority groups, her own party and more generally all of America.... AND ALL SHE HAS TO CRY ABOUT IS HER DAUGHTER?!

OH. My. (white) JESUS!

24. NC voter

I have met Chelsea twice now, and I can honestly say she has a truly beautiful heart. She is an amazing amazing woman.

Please, if anyone has negative feeligns about hillary, don't take it out on chelsea. She is an angel.

25. Darth Vadik, CA

Take your tears ans shove it.