May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Thats what happens when you lie as much as Hillary does.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Latoya M, NC

Here we go again.... Waterworks.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. CHANGE IN VA

Hillary i get that same feeling when i think and speak of my daughters so i know how you feel.

keep the fight alive
    Hillary 08

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  4. Greg, NY

Oh, no.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. CJ, PA

Give me a break!!!

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. Jeanne

She CAN NOT win legitimately.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Anne

Pathetic! One moment she's masquerading as Rocky or the Iron Lady, and the next she's squeezing out crocodile tears for the media.
    Can't people see how disingenuous she is?

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. Barb Canada

Hillary you truly are Wonderful! We are as proud of you as you are of your daughter!

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. Jim

Why is this considered 'news'? Who cares?

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. Florida Dem for OBAMA

Ohhhhh NOOOOOO........NOT MORE TEARS!!!!!! Give me a break Hillary!! These emotional breakdowns are begining to make me sick to my stomach.....ugggh.

If Obama and Clinton were in reversed positions now......Obama would have been pushed off the bridge MONTHS AGO!!!! How many times do the Clintons and the media have to move the goal post?? This is getting a little too dramatic now.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Jen, Gainesville

She can say anything or do anything to win. I have no respect for her.

May 14, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Sharon Minnesota

My first choice of a candidate for president is Hillary Clinton but I cannot agree with her that we should support Barack Obama. Realize it or not John McCain is closer to a moderate democrat than she can admit due to her commitment to the democratic party. I, on the other hand am not bound by any party any more. I used to be, sorry no longer.

The democratic party is like humpty dumpty broken and damaged beyond repair. I can't believe that the pundants and the DNC bigwigs are still trying to put it back together before the General Election.

Obama supporters have pushed the democratic humpty dumpty over the edge of the wall of hope and change with their hypocrisy.

13. Uneducated old white 4 Obama

I cry every time one dies from the war she sent them to. I cried when I lost my job she and Bill sent to China. She is -– lucky her daughter has a job with the hedge funds corporation that will allow somebody to take 2 years off and not get fired! Give me a break.

14. Freddie, La

It's amazing to me how HRC can agree that her statement about whites and hard working americans was stupid and very little is said about it, and when it is talked about its sort of as a matter of fact. However the media made a 2 week story out of Obama's politically spun "bitter comment". I as a hard working 46 year old black man was offended by HRC's statement as if white blue collar workers are the only people that work hard. I see hard working blacks, whites, asians, mexicans, and many others work very hard every day.

15. Erica

Here we go with the tears again. Hoping to get another landslide victory in Kentucky. Come on Hillary, we are tired of being lied to just to gain votes.

16. PL

look into the crystal ball,,, OMG it's chelsea for president 2020

17. Mary

Hillary did a great job raising Chelsea, she has a lot to be proud of...I sure hope you Obama supporters don't look at this through a jaded eye...

18. Natalie

I am proud of my children too! What in the heck does that have to do with getting out of the race. You lost- thanks for playing- good bye!

19. Marc PDX

By now we've seen everything Hillary has to throw into this campaign ("the kitchen sink") and now she's recycling what worked once before I guess. Kind of emotional for a president I'd think...

20. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

Touching. But what's making me choke up is the damage that Hillary Clinton's divisive, race-based politics have done to the Democratic Party.

It is time to tone it down, suck it up and move on to the general election where, Lord willing, the Republicans will be defeated - by Barack Obama.

21. Brenda, CT

I am proud of my daughter too!

22. Judy

Give that women some tissue please.

23. Jeanie in Oregon has Hope and wants change

I just deposited my ballot here in Oregon!!

WOOOOO HOOOOO

Everyone around here is so excited to vote for Obama!

We will shut Huckabee Hill down this coming Tuesday!!

I can't wait !!!!

GO OREGON
    GO OBAMA

24. Loraine Pace DeBary Florida

I think Hillary is hurting the party more then helping it by staying in a race she cannot win. I think she believes her own voodoo math because she and her campaign people give different responses regarding the popular vote and delegate count and now she says the target number is 2209 where does she get this stuff anyway.

Hillary, you and Bill had your turn now it is time for someone else.

25. FW

Wow the act never stops!