May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. CES

Gov Howard – please, for once – show some leadership and stop this fool from sinking our ship

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. Rich In Seattle

Oh boy, here we go again!!!

States & elections won with 60% or more of the vote:
    BARACK OBAMA:
    15 STATES + DC + VI
    * Virgin Islands (89.9%)
    * Idaho (79%)
    * Hawaii (76%)
    * Alaska (75%)
    * District of Columbia (75%)
    * Kansas (74%)

HILLARY CLINTON:
    2 States
    * Arkansas (70%)
    * West Virginia (67)

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. Enough Already

Stop crying every time the end is near Hillary. Your charade is too transparent now. Get out of the race and support Obama. You are helping the Republicans win in November with every extra day you stay in the race. Come on!!!

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. Sue Ellen Stamp

Awwww...com'on! Billary can choke up, shed tears, cackle, and smile at the drop of a hat! Who knows how many personlities that woman has, but the "Three Faces of Eve" has nothing on her!

Probably the real reason she was "choked up" was because after running from state to state like a chicken with it's head cut off, she just may have a bit of an idea that she's not going to win!

SES Canada

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. lobsteroll

usually people who accuse other people of drama know

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. LeftyLadig

I am extremely proud of my daughter too. She, and her four brothers, have voted in the primaries, and will vote in the general for Barack Obama.

May 14, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Seth

Once again people (OBama supporters, of which I am one) stop the Clinton bashing. Without her supporters, McCain will be in the White House come November. We all know what that means.

8. proud army and navy mom

she probably crying over that 20 million dollar debt. if i was Chelsea, i would be highly upset. that's her inheritance money getting wasted.

9. Jennifer

I BET SHE"S PROBABLY GOING TO START CRYING NOW TO BOLSTER UP HER WOMEN SUPPORTERS.
    I HATE THAT SHE TRIES TO PLAY THE I'M A FEMALE CARD WHENEVER SHE"S DOWN.
    SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL HER "BUCK UP" AND THERE"S NO CRYING IN POLITICS,ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE CLAIMS HOW TOUGH SHE IS .
    OH, DID ANYONE SEE THE MOVIE "DELIVERANCE?" IF YOU HAVE THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT"S THE EXPLANATION OF HER WEST VIRGINIA WIN. IF NOT THEN IT'S AN INTERESTING WATCH.

10. jeff - Dallas

I guess I must be getting cynical, but three times in the past six months, Hillary has turned on the tears when the going got tough, and she got a boost in her ratings. Could it be???? Nah, Hillary would never stoop so low. But let me ask, do we really want a Commander in Chief who can't control her emotions when having conversations with the public?

11. Obi

On camera she is emotional...
    off camera she is cold calculating and ruthless...

sorry. such gimmicky moves and chameleon like switches make me believe even more firmly that she should NOT be president.

Clinton supporters have no clue what they are signing up for...and they claim they dont want GWBush tactics anymore...yet this lady has shown TIME AND TIME AGAIN that she will say and do ANYTHING to win. and like sheep to the slaughter they go...

Obama. nuff said.

12. PA_Hill-fan

That is so true about Chelsea and she does care about everybody. Hillary is leading in the popular vote and about a 30 delegate difference separates both candidates if Florida and Michigan are included. Obama can not get any pledged delegates since he broke the party rules by appearing and advertizing in Florida before the primary.

13. DC

It amazes me Clinton knows how to turn on the emotions/water works/tears whenever it works for her. I am having a hard time believing anything is real with her anymore. After listening to her campaign people switch the numbers, not answer questions straight, tap dance around Anderson's questions last night, basically say with a straight face forget everything we have said since the campaign began this is what really matters now (popular vote etc.) I for one can't wait unitl she sails off in the sunset. I listen to people always talking about the importance of truth, values etc. That our children must be brought up in a society where values are imnportant. Yet so many of these people sit around and let her people basically lie, fudge the truth, adjust the truth or whatever else works for them. Thank you Clinton's for forcing me to explain some harsh realities to my child earlier than expected.

14. mama4obama

Its great that she is proud of her daughter. I know that feeling. I have it for both my son and my daughter and at times I can be overwhelmed with pride. Chelsea has been the only rock in that campaign thus far.

OBAMA 08

15. lol

hillary is such a great role model for women. she is a mother first, and a politician second. hopefully the superdelegates will take off the obama blinders, and realize hillary is the only one who can win back the whitehouse for the democrats. it's pathetic that the presumptive front runner couldn't even carry ONE county in WV, this late in the primary season. hillary can beat mccain in November, obama can't!

16. DS

Funny how she cries publicly precisely when her political fortunes are down.

17. needed tobesaid

Beautiful! Hillary has so much warmth and generosity that this country needs. She has always been an excellent mother- from the very first in talking with Jackie O about how to keep her little daughter out of the press while growing up in the white house.

18. Remi N.(Atlanta)

well, Our mothers are proud of us too. One thing you need to do, is to endorse Barack Obama by june 3 and let's go after John McCain.
    For the Primaries, It's over . We all know that included Hillary herself.

19. Hillary Spin Master

Boo hoo, boo hoo. Hilary is like a cameleon. She's got so many faces and uses them all depending on the situation to pander votes. How touching. There's no way this lady has a soft side.

20. I can...

understand how she would get choked up talking about her daughter. They seem to have a very close relationship and like any parent, it's natural to get emotional when you look back at what they have accomplished in their life so far. I do have to hand it to the Clintons, Chelsea is very mature and wise for her age. Good for them!

21. Brendose, Oceanside CA

Here comes the PITY pitch!

If you can't get your way, just cry, cry, cry, and cry again until you get it?

Isn't that what little 8 year old girls do?????

We cannot have a President who is weak and will cry on cue!

This interview displays her weakness....is she going to CRY to IRAN? Is she going to CRY to Russia?

22. watchdog

How nice.
    Beware of Clinton choke-ups.
    Gotta admit, it worked in New Hampshire.

I still think that one was a plant.

23. Tee

Is she proud of the way you have conducted yourself. If so, neither one of you are good role models for my daughter.

24. Uncle Joe

Chelsea deserves a lot of credit from you and your campaign. She did a superb job!

25. Michelle

Here we go again! She did the same thing when she was close to losing New Hampshire....what a fake! CNN PLEASE POST MY COMMENTS!

May 14, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |