May 14th, 2008

Hillary Clinton chokes up in CNN interview

CNN

Watch a clip of Wolf Blitzer's interview with Sen. Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Hillary Clinton choked up Wednesday as she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that her daughter's presence on the campaign trail had been one of the "most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life."

"Well, it's one of the most incredibly gratifying experiences of my life, as a person and as a mother. I get very emotional," she said. "She is an exceptional person, and she's worked so hard, and she's done such a good job that I'm just filled with pride every time I look at her.

"Obviously, we are very close. We are in communication all the time. But she is doing this because she believes I'd be a good president, but also because she cares so much about our country's future. She did grow up in the White House. She knows what a difference a president makes. If anybody ever doubted what difference a president makes, after seven years of George Bush, I think the doubts should be put to rest.

"So she's doing it because she's my daughter, but she's doing it because, as she says, she's a young American who cares about our future."

Chelsea Clinton, who has been a constant presence on the trail this cycle, was in Puerto Rico Wednesday in advance of the territory's June 1 primary.

Watch Wolf Blitzer's interview with Hillary Clinton at 4 and 6 p.m. ET on CNN's The Situation Room.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

This is a nice story. No need for negativity here!

Democrats it's time to unite, and stop tearing into either one of our candidates!

Democrats unite against our REAL adversary!

No Bush third term!

Obama/Nunn in 2008!

2. obama all the way

Just pathetic...It doesn't get any better....displaying emotion alone is not enough to get to the WH.

No Clinton on the Ticket

JIm Webb or Hagel, Sebelius, Napolitano, strickland, Rendell.

3. Chel

She is something else. How many times will she resort to tears when she wants to get her way. She can't get through one sentence about her beloved daughter without injecting a self endorsement.

4. Josh, WA

She should be brought to tears when she thinks of the amazing advocate her daughter has been for her. Chelsea is constantly on the road campaigning for her mom. Think of how emotional your own mom would get!

Of all the times to rip into Hillary for crying on cue, this one I think we can let slide.

Obama 08'!!!!!!

5. Ms. GA

Yeah it’s nice to be proud of your daughter but, the only time she cries is when she is behind.

6. Walter

Crocodile tears. I am surprised that this interview wasn't scheduled to air on Monday, the day after mother's day, seeing as mother's day evolved out of tradition in Grafton, WV.

7. Who's Complaining

I'm not a big fan of Hillary but would vote for her over McCain. That said, I don't see why this is reported in the news. What's newsworthy about a parent getting choked up when they talk about how proud they are of their daughter. CNN – please report news and not this crap.

8. Peter from Oregon

Huh?

LOL!!

Too much...

Baggage!!!

9. H-ROD

She's working for the republicans Thats the only reason she is still in this thing she wants them to pay her debt !!! (YES OBAMA CAN) !!!!!!!

10. Roger

Hillary or McCain!

11. Ken, LA California

Your family has had a chance to lead this country for 8 years, we want to try other people, its not only Clinton or Bushes who can give birth to presidents, its time to move on, get over it.

12. Trisha, Grand Rapids, MI

As a mother I would be so proud too, for all of the support Chelsea had giving her during the campaign.

I'm glad that we get to see this side of Hillary, as a mom, and her great relationship with her daughter.

How can you criticized that. I'll be curios to read the other comments, specially from the Obama supporters. All the hatred from their side just makes me sad.
    Hatred won't lead you anything good.

13. carl

So she's crying again!!! that is what she would no doubt be doing at 3:00 a.m. when the phone would ring!!!

14. Joel

Male or female, if we have a leader who cannot control their emotions (NH and now this), we are going to have a really hard time getting the leaders of domineeringly patriarchal countries to give the respect needed.

15. p Coleman

Hillary would be such a good president, she really seems sincere and I think she really cares about this country. The Democratic Party seems determine to have Obama as the nominee, and Hillary has been treated unfairly in the Media (granted it has been better lately) and the people supporting Obama are really nasty towards her.

I am glad she is staying in because we do not know Obama and anything can happen and I hope it is not to late if it does.

I am really tired of these supporters calling Hillary's supporters stupid, red-neck, poor, and other things, just because some people had more chances in life and make more money does not make them any better a person, just maybe richer.

I hope these people that are so taken with Obama do not make the same mistake that was with Bush.

Tell Jack that hope he has Obama over for dinner and they can really bond.

16. Joe Regis

GOOD SHOW DEAR, GOOD SHOW.

GOOD PERFORMANCE INDEED.

IT IS OVER, THE CHARADE AND ALL.

17. Chris-Atlanta,GA

..........please....make her stop.....

18. carolinas

It is alright to have emotional attachment to your daughter Chelsea and to America. But you lied, did very negative campaign against Obama and not trust worthy when it comes to money, taxes and your experience. Please gracefully leave and really help Obama as you said in the media.

Obama 2008..

19. From CA

We are proud of clintons.
    We are very grateful to clintons for all the great things they did to America.

Go Hillary !

We are with you all the way!

20. Tim

Give her a break, it's her daughter, she can get emotional about her daughter. I'm an Obama supporter but she should be able to get emotional when speaking about her daughter, I'm sure it is a very moving subject for anyone.

21. INDEPENDENT

OH GOODNESS, here we go again...it probably would have worked during the primary season. But since its over now. Cry your way out the door.

22. Don from Canada

Who are you kidding Hillary, the Clinton policies left over from Bill's reign in the Whitehouse have made it impossible for most American's children to spend time at home with them. You get to keep Chelsea with you because she doesn't have to work. Take your fake stories and lies and go home with your fake tears. Its all over for you only the lady in the pantsuits hasn't figured it out, it's just a free ride on the donations like the one you took from that 11 yr. old boy what a disgrace it is for you to take $400.00 from him when you have 100 million in the bank – SHAMEFUL !!

23. Roger

No Phony Obama!

Hillary or McCain!

May 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. Independent

A duaghter always loves her mother. This does not change the fact that you have lost. show Chelsea how to end this with dignity and grace rather than kicking and screaming.

May 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. Korey

It's not that I doubt her ability to be a mother, CNN, it's that I doubt her ability to be our country's president. But still, thank you for informing me about Hillary's emotional standpoint towards her daughter. You'll be the first to know if something like this affects my vote.

May 14, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |