May 14th, 2008

Navy denies Chelsea Clinton access to former firing range

Chelsea Clinton has been campaigning for her mom in Puerto Rico since Tuesday.
Chelsea Clinton has been campaigning for her mom in Puerto Rico since Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The U.S. Navy denied Chelsea Clinton access to a former firing range in Puerto Rico on Wednesday, Navy officials said.

The Navy rejected the request because U.S. law forbids campaigning on federal property and because the Navy allows only people clearing the Vieques range of ordinance to enter the area, the officials said. They said they did not know what Clinton planned to do there.

The U.S. Navy used the long-controversial Vieques range - the majority of the island of Vieques - for bombing and artillery practice until May of 2003. It was the target of frequent protests by Puerto Ricans who objected to its use. It is now federal property being cleaned of unexploded ordnance.

Clinton - who has been campaigning for her mother, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton - is in the U.S. territory ahead of its June 1 primary. It is the largest prize left for the Democratic candidates.

Barack Obama's wife, Michelle, is also due to campaign there.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. LT for Obama

Sharon from Georgia, are you kidding? Don't be bitter

Why does he run away from difficult things so much?
    He runs from tough votes in the senate…..Wonder how many times HRC said present.
    He runs from tough debates with Hillary…Please, what is the point of having another discussion with her that does not touch the issues?
    He runs to the Virgin Islands for "rest"…..HRC did not campaign that weekend either. Give me a break.
    He runs away from reporters after "8″ questions….WHAT????
    He runs away from West Virginia b/c he feels he can't win….Let's see, he has bigger fish to fry in the name of McCain.
    He runs from MI and FL voters……In Michigan this week. HC rejected a proposal just last week to split delegates that would have benefited her. Again, give me a break.
    And he wants to be leader of the free world? I don't think you can run from that….That is why he is running to it.

May 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Laura

Hi Swiss in Canada,
    We might not like it, I am also Canadian, but it is kind of true.
    Although technically the term comes from the cold war.

May 14, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. NEW COMER

Chris Middletown, who have you been asking questions of as far as Hillary. They must be new comers that are not informed. All you have to do is watch any one of Hillary's speaches and you would know exactly what her plans are for handling the economy, jobs in America, health care for all, if someone can answer these important issues then they should watch Obama's speeches about change (what) hope (for what) and now it is all about his unofficial race with McCain. A little presumptuous of him don't you think? Wow I just want to see his face turn red when he doesn't win the GE. And this is not a racial comment. But then again I am against him, so I guess it must be a racist comment.

May 14, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Ron

For god's sake!! Why is this news?

Nobody said that Chelsea was planning to campaign there. In fact the article states that the army didn't know why she was there. Couldn't she have been sight-seeing?

Only hateful Obama supporters would ascribe a neferarious motive to this apparently innocent action.

May 14, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. drawde

Yeah, why would she be trying to go there if not to just create the media buzz for free publicity for her mother??? From her interview Hillary is using her daughter politically.

BTW – Is she single, or married?

May 14, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. len

Mrs Weasley:

I watched her speak in Puerto Rico. She is working harder than most of us and taking personal risks that astounded me. Unless you go to one of her speaches and see how the crowd reacts, how she gladly lets them crowd her for photos, the heat, the perfect posture, well, you really don't know what you are talking about.

Chelsea Clinton is an A-lister. Don't forget it.

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Nancy

Chelsea isn't working for the Red Cross for the same reason Michelle isn't home taking care of her kids-it's called campaigning. Seems like a smart Obama follower would be able to figure that out.

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Robb

We don't need a President who runs and hides, we need a fighter. Just make sure that Hillary doesn't get confused again and dream up a war (gee, I think I'm being shot at, where are my nukes).

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. NZ, NJ

Sue May 14th, 2008 2:08 pm ET wrote:

The military hates Hillary ....Hillary, please retire.. to some island somewhere where we never have to see your face again !

SUE,

PLEASE GO DROWN YOURSELF IN SOME KOOL AID AND GET OFF THE TICKER. YOU ARE JUST A DISGRACE TO THE HUMAN RACE AND YOUR ATTITUDE AND INTELLIGENCE MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT ON YOUR NASTY FACE.

Kinda sucks when someone is insulting you huh????? GROW UP AND LEARN SOME HUMILITY!

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. LT for Obama

Oops, see my correction:

And he wants to be leader of THIS FREE COUNTRY? I don't think you can run from that….That is why he is running to it.

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. brush

I dont get it. What happen to the christian's of America, the good old USA. I can make this very short. HE wiil come with a smooth tongue, everyone will be in awe, he will be easy to be looked upon, and all will want to followhim but, beware. I pity us all! God forgive us for we know not what we have done. Nothing else to say .

May 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. Kris

Stop Chris in CT. Obama supporters have no clue what he stands for. People whio vote for hillary actually look at policies. Obama people have never had a decent answer except "he gives a great speech," or he is for "change." Yet no one knows what exactly that means.

May 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. len

Darth:

Wow, Molly Weasley and Darth Vader. The kids are out in Force.

Obama is buying superdelegates with a $20 million fund set up for exactly that purpose. This is real old school politics.

May 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. White 40 Yr old Male >$50K

Enough! I am so tired of the Obamaniacs accusing Hillary supporters of being "uneducated, low-income, gun holders" etc.. I am an educated female with a PHD in nursing, making a six figure salary and I support Hillary 150%. I will NOT under any circumstances vote for Obama in the general if he is our dem nominee period…end of story!I!!

__________________________________________________

Frieda NYC: Do you honestly think its the Obama camp that is accusing HRC supporters as "uneducated, low-income, gun holders" etc? Do you even listen to HRCs own speaches? She is proud to point out the fact that white, low income folks with no college education is part of her support base. If you dont like it, then you need to ask yourself if she is the right candidate for you, besides the fact that you are likely voting for her for another vwery clear resaon...cause she is a woman, and so are you.

May 14, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Donna

I am a Democrat that is sick and tired of the Hillary bashing by the educated Obama supporters. They sound more like children than adults. Vicious and callous in their blogs. Yet they are supporting the love and peace unifier Obama. If this is what supporting Obama is like no thank you. I was going to vote for him I am not now. I will not throw my support behind someone that fosters the kind of hate that his supporters show. I am now starting to take a closer look at McCain, we will see what happens.

May 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. John Smith

Please keep Hillary away from the democratic ticket– she will get the Republicans really fired up, and Obama will lose all the hard work he has put into this process.

We should learn to take a political risk! This is what Obama refers to as Change!

Hillary is NOT taking a political risk; she is a known in and out of Washington. She is married to an "impeached" past-president.

The only person taking a "political risk" here is Obama (a black man from no where) and his supporters against the mighty forces!! Keep Hillary away from the democratic ticket!

May 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Janice

Oh my – the Navy said "NO" to a Clinton! There will be blood spilled over this. EVERYONE knows (even the U.S. Navy) that you cannot say "NO" to the Clinton mafia.

May 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. NZ, NJ

Jason,

I too will be writing in HRC in November!

May 14, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Edwin from Fayetteville, NC

All the Clintons seem to have poor judgment and are making poor decisions.

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. GL

Unless you have swimsuit shots, this is not news.

May 14, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Danny

Peter SD: Did you know that Obama lobby in the Hill after he won in NC
    that's not federal property? It is illegal to campaign in the Hill with Rep. too people. So, why your guy not attack Obama about that?

May 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Marc PDX

Chelsea was there to retrieve some ordnance, at the request of her mother, to use against Obama as part of the "kitchen sink" strategy.

May 14, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. R.I.F.

Sharon in Georgia May 14th, 2008 2:10 pm ET

You forgot one:
    He runs way ahead of Clinton in all revelant catogories in determining the democractic nomoniee.

I think Sharon in Goergia is also Sharon in Minnasota. I guess you're like Hillary in that you're from everywhere.

May 14, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Jack

Perhaps she was foraging for mud cakes to feed the neighboring Hatians...

...Nah, I don't think she's that generous.

May 14, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. A.Masabo Canada

Hey Chelsea!
    it's a nice place for holiday and the kenyan guy would be waiting for u,GOT ME for 40 sheeps & 40 goats?
    people google Chelsea and kenyan guy;u will understand.
    This thing is over;please tell ur mom u'll be somewhere in AFRICA(KENYA).
    Holla.