May 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton agree to DNC fundraising agreement

Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic Party has reached an unusual joint fundraising agreement with both its remaining presidential candidates, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, creates a new entity, the "Democratic White House Victory Fund" - a move which will allow both candidates to fundraise for the cash-strapped Democratic National Committee, and to help shoulder some of their primary and general election expenses. John McCain has already created his own Victory Fund with the Republican National Committee – but those funds are usually created after a nominee has been decided.

Obama and the DNC had come to an agreement several weeks ago.

“In signing this agreement, Senator Clinton and Senator Obama are demonstrating their commitment to unifying our party and ensuring that we have the resources needed to win the White House, no matter who the nominee is,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean in a statement. The message is clear. Democrats are unified to put a Democrat back in the White House so we can get our economy back on track, bring our troops home and finally do something about our ailing health care system."

1. Obama All The Way

Hallelujah! The first sign that the DNC is not full of a bunch of fools.

May 14, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  2. Please!

What does Hillary have to lose. She has no money. Maybe she can use this to pay her bills.

May 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Barack, make sure you hire a food taster. You can never be too careful! :)

May 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. Tiachi

unreal!!!!

so he's bailing her out and she is trying to steal the nomination from him. he is very honorable and this should go to his character!!!

May 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Robert in Toronto,ON

I'm sure most Americans have no problem contributing to the fund – as long as NONE of those funds end up in the Clinton pockets to help offset her self created $20 million dollar debt.

May 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. danfromflorida

thats good and everything but is the dnc going to let florida and michigan to participate or we only count here in florida when the dnc needs money?

May 14, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. Ayaz Haniffa

as

May 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. Kevin Leo (Jonesboro, GA)

My only question is this some kind of means for Hillary to pay off her 20+ million dollar debt?!

May 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. Robert in Toronto,ON

Also to steal some thunder – a report is out saying that the Barack Obama team is making a "major announcement" tonight at 7PM when they expect to get a big superdelegate pickup.

None other than..........................................John Edwards.

Count it! And the foul :D

May 14, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. CopyCat

This is just a way to get obama supporters to pay for clinton's campaign debts. Not my money.....she has more money than i do.

May 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. 60 year old white female, Mo

To Hillary Supporters who won't vote for Obama if he is the Nominee:

You have the choice to vote for OBama or vote for the 3rd term of BUSH; War for 100 years; Worse economy; Jobs loss; High groceries and gas prices... Just choose what you want...

I don't care about the Old , non-educated people voting for Hillary... I am old, but I care about the future for my children , grand children.. We need Change... No more BUSH-CLINTON...; Why you old -white , keep voting for the same people? Do you want the same politicover and over again?

May 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Media blackout Date May 15th

I'll donate when Hillary exits the race.

May 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Copperfield

THIS is the stuff CNN should be emphasizing. This is the news that puts aside canidate commitment and makes people see that we need to look past the names of Hillary and Obama in order to really achieve something.

Democrats United in November!

May 14, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Independent

That is fine, but I don't want my Obama money going to Clinton's campaign.

I respect Clinton, but I feel we have a nominee now and I don't want my money being used to combat the nominee!!!

Please keep your comments respectful, democrats!

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. Kiah

I'm loving the unity that HRC seems to be showcasing today. I think she has turned over a new leaf. Hope it lasts and she has resolved within herself that she can't continue on her current path.

*Still have a feeling I'll be eating these words later*

But I will give respect where it's due.

Obama '08
    YES WE CAN!

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Tony, NC

The unity is nice, but I still will not vote for Obama..

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  17. Show DNC the Money

Barack will be a net contributor. Hillary always spends more than she brings in.

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. danfromflorida

the dnc chairman will be the blue guy in the corner waiting for monies from my organization or self...I have contributed to my candidate because she has kept trying to make my vote and 3 million other votes in florida count...

May 14, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

Great job, folks!

Obama/Nunn in 2008!

May 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. FedUpDem

I wouldn't put one penny in a fund that might go to help the left wing radical racist hypocrite lying arrogant condescending obama.

May 14, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. Steve

Oh boy, another tear ! I can see the headlines now, "Pres Hillary has a good cry before addressing the international crisis, then tries to cover up to the american people."

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Susie, SF, California

Is this to help pay off her debts?

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. MO

VERY ENCOURAGING AND GOOD NEWS.

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Dennis

word

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. Debbie,NJ

Please don't lie to the American people and call this a "Democratic White House Victory Fund" and its really a fund to pay the Clintons back. I'd rather wait until there's a nominee like the Rep. did.

May 14, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |