May 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton agree to DNC fundraising agreement

Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic Party has reached an unusual joint fundraising agreement with both its remaining presidential candidates, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, creates a new entity, the "Democratic White House Victory Fund" - a move which will allow both candidates to fundraise for the cash-strapped Democratic National Committee, and to help shoulder some of their primary and general election expenses. John McCain has already created his own Victory Fund with the Republican National Committee – but those funds are usually created after a nominee has been decided.

Obama and the DNC had come to an agreement several weeks ago.

“In signing this agreement, Senator Clinton and Senator Obama are demonstrating their commitment to unifying our party and ensuring that we have the resources needed to win the White House, no matter who the nominee is,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean in a statement. The message is clear. Democrats are unified to put a Democrat back in the White House so we can get our economy back on track, bring our troops home and finally do something about our ailing health care system."

1. Yes we can!

I'm sorry, but if Hillary was really for unifying the party, she would have conceded a while ago and allowed Obama to move forward, but this constant ride until the end and i'm not stopping now and i'm not quitting, and i'm the better candidate and send me more money, and so on and so on doesn't show unity. It shows division. It's not about everyone getting their vote heard or counted because we have never had this type of primary before. Prolonging the election is only causing harm, because now both candidates followers are vowing to vote mccain or stay home and the feelings are growing deeper. I believe that there will be a large # of voters that will spitfefully vote for mccain regardless of who the nominee is out of anger.

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. oil rules

Cash strapped DNC?? How could that be possible under the great leadership of Dr. Dean?? Something is amiss........

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Yes we can!

Obama/Nagel 2008/2012

May 14, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Proud1of 26% in WV

I guess they think that us little people are stupid.This is a quiet way for Obama supporters to pay off some of Hillary's debts.She is already making statements to her supporters to not pick Mccain over Obama.Mabye I'll actually get some work done soon instead of doing this all day.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. T Collins

I'd love to see anyone saying that they aren't trying to work together, or are splitting the part to say say it now.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. Sue P / PA

I know you wont post this..but

I really really wanted to donate again to Barack Obamas campaign..but............I will not give my "hard earned" money to a fund that will help Hillary Clinton to pay off more than 20,000,000$ that she is in debt, because she doesnt know when to exit for the good of the party. I work very hard for my money and would gladly give some for a worthy cause..but She is not one of those worthy causes on my "to do " list. Again, I am sorry for the way I honestly feel.

Older White Female Voter.....struggling

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. MD Houston

As always, cash is king.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Neal

Will some of the money some of you gave Obama now go to retire Hillary's bills??????

This is funny.

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. from CT

That's great but i was hoping this would be about florida and michigan. I'm for Obama but I think we need to heal some wounds there, let them have a revote, so many didn't vote, HIllary and Obama supporters alike who thought it wouldn't count. Let them do this the democratic way, have their vote, they didn't want there vote to count early on, well now it's not early on, and lets get this party healed, some things are more important and healing this party, if it means all voice's must be heard, then let it be!

May 14, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. Jeanne

Looks like Clinton's efforts to have someone else pay for her debts has paid off. At least it's the DNC & not Obama. Looks like I won't be contributing to that fund.

May 14, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

WOW!!!!!!!!
    THAT WAS QUITE THE THUMPING LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

WHY CAN'T OBAMA WIN THESE STATES?

BECAUSE HE IS A FAKE!!!!!!

GO HILLARY GO!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Cammi317

Now if we can stay focused on the issues and McCain....

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. Jeanie in Oregon has Hope and wants change

Signing agreements don't mean anything to Clinton..

She signed an agreement not to count MI and FL votes but now that she needs and wants all of them( no matter who they voted for ) she wants to break that signed agreement.

Can't trust a Clinton ever!!

May 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. KP, FL

I guess that means they need Obama to fundraise for, because Hillary, nor the DNC are raising money. Everyone ought to thank the Obama supporters we are carrying this thing on our shoulders. My question is, will there be any money left after Hillary finishes running her campaign? How much welfare does she get? Can we say "bail out"?

May 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Well

it's about time they agree to something. Now let's get this party unified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. AJ

To heck with unifying the party. Any ticket with Obama on it will not get my vote. Obama is a Democratic disaster waiting to happen.

If not Cinton/McCain in 08!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Paul

That is a good agreement

Hillary we love you and support you all the way!!!
    We need a Clinton to restore our broken economy

FLA and Michigan must count, they are Americans

Obama can be your VP until he learns how to do the job. He might eventually be ready in the future.

Hillary 08 – Yes you will!!!
    Puerto Rico, Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky & Oregon for Clinton!!!
    Vote Democrat- Vote for Clinton

May 14, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. ash

good news, party unification is key

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. Kel in Auburn, AL

Wait, does this mean Clinton gets the DNC to pay off her $20 million debt with funds Obama helps to raise? Sounds like rule-bending to me!

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

So, the bottom line is that the American people are bailing out the multi millionaire who badly handled her campaign funds? Un-freakin-believeable!!!

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. daniel

Is Hillary will pay her own debt, 20 millions dollars?

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Fred Crump

I have been a republican in the state of Florida. I am 62 years old and well educated. I would change my vote to Hillary in a heart beat. I admire her steadfast personality and what she believes in. She goes right to the heart of the problems that we as a nation are facing. Northwest Florida in my opinion would vote for her. In the past our area has been republican all the way. Not this year! If she were on a independent ticket I would vote for her. I think my views are very prominent in this area of the country. Fred Northwest Florida

May 14, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. HOPE

Unified ....really ? As well as on a revote for Florida and Michigan...

May 14, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. RB

This should read "HRC turns back on supporters for $20M buyout". We (Obama fans) tried to tell you guys this lady is bad news. Now that you know what she thinks you're worth, come on over to Team Obama and let's take our government back from special interest and crooked politicians!!

Let's ask why Cindy McCain will not release her tax returns. Seems pretty easy for someone to send a check to her account so that John can do a little "special influence" for their company. Why not?? He said he's against special interest, but his campaign is managed by lobbyists. And, Cindy is now selling mutual funds from companies that invested in the Sudan. Hmmmm???

May 14, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Eli

It's funny how John Dean keeps the road to the White House coming back through Hillary Clinton. Dean is just as CNN, aka "Clinton National News."

May 14, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |