May 14th, 2008

Obama, Clinton agree to DNC fundraising agreement

Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
Howard Dean is the chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic Party has reached an unusual joint fundraising agreement with both its remaining presidential candidates, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, creates a new entity, the "Democratic White House Victory Fund" - a move which will allow both candidates to fundraise for the cash-strapped Democratic National Committee, and to help shoulder some of their primary and general election expenses. John McCain has already created his own Victory Fund with the Republican National Committee – but those funds are usually created after a nominee has been decided.

Obama and the DNC had come to an agreement several weeks ago.

“In signing this agreement, Senator Clinton and Senator Obama are demonstrating their commitment to unifying our party and ensuring that we have the resources needed to win the White House, no matter who the nominee is,” said DNC Chairman Howard Dean in a statement. The message is clear. Democrats are unified to put a Democrat back in the White House so we can get our economy back on track, bring our troops home and finally do something about our ailing health care system."

1. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Now that wasn't hard was it? See how easy it can be to work together toward a common goal.

May 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. tell the truth

It is time to stand together. Obama=Clinton 95% of the time. This is a fact. If you support either Obama or Clinton you have to support them in the Nov.

May 14, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. Sue in CT

AMEN TO THAT.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  4. Willis, Texas

Hillary can't even raise money for her own campaign - this is a trick to securing financing from Obama's donors to pay down Hillary's debt - I say no way!!!

I would not mind contributing to the DNC, but definitely not to Hillary!!

Looks like Obama is going to lose on this deal!

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  5. Farrell, Houston, Tx

We're not stupid and the DNC should tell the truth. This is nothing more than a deal between Hillary and the DNC which amounts to getting Obama to pay off Hillary's $20 million debt if she stops slinging mud, but not if she quits. I charge the DNC for not taking responsibility in protecting the democrat party and voters prior to destruction done by Hillary.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. mitchell from arkansaw

ok,but i can't contribute anymore to barack,until sen.clinton concedes the nomination.when obama gains the nomination,i will begin donating again.

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. keith, NV

LIKE THE IDEA

May 14, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Punisher

HI sent you a reply to your email asking for contribution for DNC, my reply to your solicitation was short, "NO HILLARY, NO MONEY FOR THE DNC."

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Sharon Minnesota

Mr. Dean, you won't get one penny from me. I may be the last woman standing but I have my principles to stand on and your new democratic party violates all those principals. You can pay for your own left wing liberal party from now on. Go ask Barack for his money. He's got lots of oil company friends to get him in the white house.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Abena

Ok... , is this a nice way to make Obama pay off Clinton's debt? If this is the case, then I want a refund on my $25 I gave to the Obama camp!!!!!!!!!!

The DNC should explain more openly what the fund is going to accomplish and who can dip into it!

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. fred

LMAO I wouldn't give the DNC a dime!!! Howard Dean and the DNC has screwed this primary totally.

WE WILL NOT UNITE BEHIND OBAMA!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. Joe C

This is finally good to see, after months of divisive bickering on both sides. Best of luck to the Dems in the upcoming campaign!

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Sandy

Well lets see if this works, all I can say it's about time they make this a joint effort. All this digging for dirt has hurt the party, lets get on the same page and make this about the issues that are important to the people.

May 14, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Annie, Muncie Indiana

Just a question. "Shoulder SOME of their primary and general election expenses". If I am not mistaken, it is a personal decision to run for any office, is it not? Then why should I or anyone else give money to this so someone like Hillary can pay off her way too long and devisive campaign? I will GLADLY give ( and already have) to Mr.Obama's campaign but will not offer up one thin dime to pay for Hillary's
    self indulgency.

May 14, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  15. Punisher

I'll not contribute money to my party when it is becoming extreme far left every minute.

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Chicagoan

I hope both campaings will contribute equally to DNC.
    And Clintons wouldn't cry that they're already in 20 mill. debt.
    Something is suspicious about this.
    What are the detailes of this agreement???

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  17. fred

This just proves to me that the old DNC isn't getting any donations!!!

Get out Howard Dean and take Obama with you!!!!

May 14, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. Von Bismark VIENNA

WOUDERFUL BALM!

May 14, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. NO-BAMA

PUHLEASE!

THE DNC ALREADY "SWIFT-BOATED" HILLARY....

THAT ZOONIE HOWARD DEAN COULDN'T RUN F.E.M.A IF HE TRIED.

THE DNC WILL NOT GET 1 RED-CENT OF MY MONEY BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THAT "OBAMA-MONEY"

OREGON
    HILLARY

May 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  20. Ray Ito

Obama and Hillary raising money together?
    The V.P. spot?

...and $20 million debt taken care of. Smart move.

Democrats unite behind Obama!!

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. Enlightened Voter

Any money that Hillary raises has to go towards her mounting debt, the poor people she has schemed during the election and to pay herself back so count her out. Barack however is a totally different story. People believe in him and prove it with their donations.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. Vic

DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THIS FUND UNTIL A NOMINEE IS CHOSEN!
    OTHERWISE MONEY WILL JUST BE USED TO FUND HILLARY's PERSONAL LOAN!

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Calvin in Raleigh, NC

I wont donate to it until after Obama gets the nomination.

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Natalie

I do not want any money I donate to Barack Obama to go to the DNC or Clinton. If it does I will stop giving!!!

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. Rob K

My immediate thought is that this joint fund-raising vehicle will be used to pay off HRC's campaign debt. I guess that's o.k. now that Sen. Clinton has taken a much more conciliatory tone. So long as she's saying the right things and instructing her supporters to stick with the Dems instead of going to Sen. McCain, I'm o.k. with it. I just hope that continues. It would be a shame for Obama's supporters to fund the last gasp of the "Clinton kitchen sink".

May 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |