May 14th, 2008

Obama holds big lead in Oregon

Barack Obama is ahead in Oregon polls.
Barack Obama is ahead in Oregon polls.

(CNN) - A day after suffering his second-worst defeat of the primary season, a new poll shows Barack Obama is headed for a big win in Oregon next Tuesday.

According to a new poll from the Portland Tribune and KPTV, the Illinois Democrat holds a 20 point lead over Clinton there, 55 percent to 35 percent. Ten percent of voters remain unsure.

The poll was conducted May 8-10, entirely before Clinton's blowout win in West Virginia Tuesday night. There, Clinton beat Obama by 40 points, her second widest margin of victory all year. But Oregon promises to be more favorable for Obama, given its broader swath of liberal and college educated Democrats.

Kentucky, a state with similar demographics to West Virginia, also votes next Tuesday and is expected to hand Clinton another big win.

Both Oregon and Kentucky are bigger prizes in terms of delegates than West Virginia. Fifty-two delegates are up for grabs in Oregon and 51 are on the line in Kentucky. Only 28 delegates were awarded in West Virginia.

Related Video: CNN's Dan Lothian reports on key voter concerns in Kentucky.

1. Gayle

I will not vote for Obama just because of the hateful comments posted on these blogs by people who support him.

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Darlene, Orlando Fl

Come on CNN where are the report of the new super delegates that recently came out for Obama today after Billery meaningless WV win? All the other news channels are reporting it. Are you being bias or are you trying to mislead the facts? Come on I thought you guys were better than that.

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. Javone

It is so sad to see people so bitter about a nomination that they would reject their principles rather than vote for the other candidate. I am not a Hillary clinton fan at all, but if she were the nominee, she would have to get my vote. I think some Hillary supporters are so closed minded and selfish that it's ridiculous.
    If I lived in Michigan and Florida, I would not even repect HRC. She agreed to not having those votes count. Now that she is on the verge of losing, she wants to be the martyr. Come on people...SHE IS USING YOU!!! She didn't give a flip about you and now she's your saviour. please be serious. And won't even own up to it! Terry blew so much hot air last night I had to turn on my fan. He was asked point blank about why his feelings and hers have changed a complete 180 degrees on the subject and he kept dancing all around the topic. Call it what it is!

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Daniel, Loganville Ga

States & elections won with 60% or more of the vote:
    BARACK OBAMA:
    15 STATES + DC + VI
    * Virgin Islands (89.9%)
    * Idaho (79%)
    * Hawaii (76%)
    * Alaska (75%)
    * District of Columbia (75%)
    * Kansas (74%)

HILLARY CLINTON:
    2 States
    * Arkansas (70%)
    * West Virginia (67)

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Dem in NC

Let the GOP have the racists.
    I don't want them on my team.

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  6. Unknown

OBAMA 08!!

OBAMA 08

OBAMA 08

OBAMA 08..............................TO THE WHITE HOUSE WE GO!

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  7. Diane Panama City Fl

The other metric that should be examined in this discussion is the vote result from the special election in Mississippi last night. The Democratic candidate took the election away from the Republican candidate in a district that went for Bush by 62% in 2004. Vice President Darth Vader (Dick Cheney) even campaigned for the Republican candidate and it didn't help (may have even hurt him). This is the third straight loss for Republicans in areas they should have easily won. From my perspective, the only issues left to resolve are which one the the Democrats is going to beat McCain in November and and by how much.

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. Fred

Oregon leads the way in a lot of things in this country. And we will put Obama over the top. And put a end to this! I am a white 51yr. old Oregon Teamster and yes I am bitter at where this country has been going. Obama will turn it around.

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  9. dis-O-pointed with Obama

Obama was behind in polls in WVa, so what did he do? Campaign there to at least let them know their voice counted anyway? No, he just skipped onto the next state, totally dissing them the way he did Michigan & Florida. All this talk about him being some kind of great uniter is just that, talk..

May 14, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Nan

Well this is one Hillary supporter who plans on voting for Obama come November. I have been very impressed with the way he has handled adversity these past few weeks. He will have my vote when he receives the nomination.

11. Club Member

All you democrats out there that think Hillary should be the VP can rest easy.

President McCane just may reward her for the good job she did over these past few months taking care of his light weight and offer he the position.

12. Tony Z- MD

Whether you are a Hillary or Barack supporter- it is about what is best for America. In November, we will need to support the Democratic nominee. There will be fracture if Hillary does not do a safe landing and unite the party. Barack and his VP choice will be be prepared for the job on Day 1.

13. Bend Oregon for Obama

The Clintons will get over it. They have to if they want to show their faces around Washington again or for that matter anywhere else. They will also get over it too because if they do, they will reap millions of dollars in payback for speaking engagements....and they know that. The disappointed Hillary supports will get over it too, as they should understand that McCain will not represent them well, nor represent this country. The U.S can't afford Bush business as usual. Jobs to China and India. CEO's getting richer. American workers (yes the blue collar ones) getting cheap WalMart jobs. Our diminished role with foreign nations. If you want that than vote for McCain. If you feel the effects of the last 8 years, then vote for Obama.

14. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Proud 26% in WVMay 14th, 2008 11:50 am ET

I woke up this morning feeling good about doing the .right .thing .Yesterday.I stepped up to the voting booth and after 30 years of voting republican was able to put aside all of the racial remarks in my area of WV and vote for whom I thought was the best candidate to help bring our country back.30 years if someone would have told me that I would be voting for an African American democrat for president there would have been a fight.Sorry to say race did play a large part in yesterday's primary and Hillary tapped into it.So to the rest of my fellow 26% I say thanks and come on Oregon ,Montana and South Dakota.Do what is right for all America.

-------------------------------–

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CLARITY AND HONESTY, PROUD ...
    I KNOW THIS TYPE OF HONESTY IS TOO MUCH FOR MANY PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY....

THANK YOU!

15. dave

Obama has now been blown out in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, (and trails Hillary and McCain badly in Florida) – All swing states, and all states that Clinton has now shown that Obama will lose in November.

He can't win the general election without winning most of those states. He is a very weak general election candidate.

Say hello to President McCain.

16. eugenie, New Jersey

After, following this election very closely the one thing I can say is that America hasn't really changed enough. This election should not be about if your a man or woman, black or white, rich or poor, religion or lack there of. The bottom line is who will be the best candidate for the White House.

I am a Democrat I have been all of my 33 years and never have I heard that a candidate wasn't qualified enough until now.

Tell me what qualifies a person to be president?

If Obama didn't have enough experience then he wouldn't have been able to even attempt a run at the White House. Now would he?

In retrospect I voted for Bill Clinton because I felt that he represented change. But after following the campaign the "Clinton's have run I'm no longer sure of this. Unfortunately, now I think Hillary will do and say anything to be elected not for "AMERICA" but for herself. This is why if Hilary is the nominee it will take nothing short of a miracle for me to vote for her come November.

17. Bette

Do you really think that calling folks in WV "hillbilies" and slamming Hillary constantly is going to win the fall election for Obama? I think not. This is the Obama campaign's problem–self-righteous snotty nosed kids with too much time and too much of mommy and daddy's money so they live on the internet trying to make folks feel bad-This will certainly back to bite you, Obama folks. You started this war quite a while back when Clinton supporters were still stating they would vote for Obama if he got the nomination....well...now...due to the disrepect, cultural snobbery, and just plain rudeness and nastiness you probably will see your candidate for President, if he gets nominated, fizzle out. Isn't that what happens to shooting stars? So why don't guys stifle the anti crap and focus on the positive–isn't that what Obama is about-LOL. NOT.

18. DD

"But Oregon promises to be more favorable for Obama, given its broader swath of liberal and college educated Democrats." Does this mean that CNN is saying that WV is less liberal and dumber than Oregon? Ouch to WV.

19. Francys

West Virginia : As impressive her victory margin is, it is still meaningless in the big picture. Why? Because if you look at the results from the Republican primary in West Virginia, John McCain got only 1% of the vote in that state that was won significantly by Mike Huckabee. Therefore, it means people in West Virginia dislike John McCain at least 36 times more than they may dislike Barrack Obama.

These results just show that this state is in total disconnect with the rest of the country.

20. Mike Birmingham, AL

Dems:

Pay no attention to the exit polls or the group that is posting here as Hillary supporters trying to rally support for McCain or Hillary as an independent candidate. They are just Operation Chaosers trying to stir things up.

Vote Democrat in '08!

21. Dee Tee Gee Arlington, TX

Is anyone paying attention to the demographic that Hillary's hanging her hat on? This particular group of people wouldn't vote for a black person even if they were running against Osama bin Laden. She has the white, older, less educated group & she's proud of that. And she says she can unite this country when her current platform is courting one particular group & ignoring all of the others, which promotes divisiveness. She doesn't care about the young, white educated voter or the black voter. She claims she has the Hispanic voter but what is she doing to keep them? And now her pride won't let her bow out gracefully. She ran a negative campaign & it backfired on her. Her campaign funds are gone & those blue collar, older, white voters don't seem too willing to write her a check. And now she's counting on the people that she knows would never vote for a black person to get her to the White House & hope no one notices what she's doing. Those of you who want her can have her.

22. Ben

Change is also about changing the so called swing states. Why should WV be a swing state. It is clear that she won the votes of so many uneducated people which means WV has no idea the kind of change they need. I am confident that Obama will deliver all of these status changes.

23. PT

Just tell me...who do you think could take the commanding roll in today's headlines...Gaza just moments ago shot a rocket into Israel...Hillary Clinton vows to obliterate them or anyone that attacks Israel Would the game be on right now if she were in charge of this. She rejected what all economists said about her gas tax and I’m thinking she’s more like George Bush with her obsessive compulsive tendencies and willing to and is succeeding to destroy her own party just to do it her way! This is getting serious and she is becoming scary.

24. Bob Haurand

"And I don't care about Roe vs. Wade. I can no longer have children"

It's all about you, huh? sounds like you and Hillary have a lot in common!

25. Saffoula

Bitter bah-humbug, self-centered and short-sighted attitudes like that expressed by "Hillary or McCain" exemplify "what's wrong with the country". Obama is the best candidate to help us think about what is possible for America and the world and how we ALL have a responsibility to participate in making our communities a better place.

May 14, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |