May 14th, 2008

Obama holds big lead in Oregon

Barack Obama is ahead in Oregon polls.
Barack Obama is ahead in Oregon polls.

(CNN) - A day after suffering his second-worst defeat of the primary season, a new poll shows Barack Obama is headed for a big win in Oregon next Tuesday.

According to a new poll from the Portland Tribune and KPTV, the Illinois Democrat holds a 20 point lead over Clinton there, 55 percent to 35 percent. Ten percent of voters remain unsure.

The poll was conducted May 8-10, entirely before Clinton's blowout win in West Virginia Tuesday night. There, Clinton beat Obama by 40 points, her second widest margin of victory all year. But Oregon promises to be more favorable for Obama, given its broader swath of liberal and college educated Democrats.

Kentucky, a state with similar demographics to West Virginia, also votes next Tuesday and is expected to hand Clinton another big win.

Both Oregon and Kentucky are bigger prizes in terms of delegates than West Virginia. Fifty-two delegates are up for grabs in Oregon and 51 are on the line in Kentucky. Only 28 delegates were awarded in West Virginia.

Related Video: CNN's Dan Lothian reports on key voter concerns in Kentucky.

1. Alex

It's funny how most uneducated dems are Clinton supporters... It's also very telling.

May 14, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. faye, NV

Sen Obama is the one and it saddens me to know that Hillary is a racist. She is the one who has divided our Dems.

I realize for Hillary it is not about the Dem Party, but it is all about her and the self-center image she has about herself.

World Division: is her best math.

May 14, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Allison Marie

Why does he care about Oregon & act like WV doesn't exist? Very arrogant on his behalf. And he wants to be Commander & Chief, I live in Florida and Obama, has blocked re-votes here and counting the votes of over 1.7 million, I won't vote for him. He's playing so very dirty games.

Uncounted in Florida

Clinton or no vote!

May 14, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. Marsha in Boston

I want to encourage all of us to come together. This primary season has been so good and challenging for our political system. But, the math is the math and I'm not really sure what HRC's motives are for staying in, but, in a way I respect that. As long as she can get behind Obama once he's the nominee and enourage all of her supporters to do the same will the Democrats really have a chance at beating McCain in November.

May 14, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. JN

Since WV is such a white racial state, I knew he wasn't going to do well there. Who cares what the margin is for Billary, she was supposed to take the state anyway. She is still behind in most states won, popular vote, pledged delegates, super delegates...she can never catch up....Oregon will be a great win for Barack! Glad to know that he is leaving her behind in the dust.. Now all she's got is to figure out how to steal the nomination. I wouldn't worry about it though because the super delegates aren't that stupid! I would have to say also that I hope he NEVER considers putting her on the ticket..that would be political suicide!!!!

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. shane

ITs not about Obama vs CLinton. I voted for Obama here in Atlanta but would just as soon for for Hillary had she won. My allegiance is to my country not one particular candidate. I think B.O. wouold be a better President than Hillary. His organization skills during this campaign season shows he knows how to manage. BUt BOTH dems would be better than Mccain bya LONGSHOT! Hillary would get my vote in a heartbeat over Mccain. Again its not about Obama vs Clinton. ITs about Failed policies of the past vs. A better future for AMerica

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. Paula in WI

Hillary can't get enough delegates to hit the magic number.Even if they count the florida vote she is still behind.It's a waste of time to let her stay in just to get her supporters to foot her campaign bill.

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Isn't this the state where they vote by mail? If so, then that means that the polls are going to be relatively accurate.

Mathematically, he doesn't even have to win. But he's winning, which is icing on the cake.

To all you Obama nay-sayers: Even if you would never vote for him, that's OK, because there are enough of us who are willing to give him the same chance that we gave to Bill Clinton.

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. liar

Of course..
    He tried to fast track himself to the presidency- although he has done absolutely nothing for his country- by cheating and by the threats of his supporters and by demeaning his worthy opponent.

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Yes we can!

He also picked up three more endorsements/superdelegates and one of them was a repbulican....this is news....it cleary shows that WV did not change anything.....Obama doesn't need to reconcile with anyone. I believe and it's sad to say this, but I'm really believing that this has become a race issue. When you're throwing bricks into his campaign shops in Indiana and when his phone workers are being cursed and called racist names (even the white workers)...than that's what this has become. It's sad that some of you made up in your minds in 1957 you would never vote for a black man...and some of you have poisoned your children the same way. WV clearly confirmed that yesterday....not all of you, but most of you!

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  11. Sharon Minnesota

CNN's quote says it all:
    "Oregon promises to be more favorable for Obama, given its broader swath of liberal and college educated Democrats."

This proves Clinton and her supporters point that she can win the GE in November with the blue collar workers in America. They out number the Obama coalition 2-1.

If the DNC really wants to get a democrat elected in November they should be checking out the Electoral Math and not the DNC's fuzzy Primary Math NOW!

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. Melissa Atlanta, GA

Isn't it HiLaRious that the "uneducated" vote for Clinton and the "educated" vote for Obama. Sometimes I wish some talking-head-political-pundit would just blurt out "all the stupid people vote for Hillary" instead of trying to be politically correct. I think it would make the people who vote for Clinton re-think their choice: "hmm, all the stupid people are voting this way and all the educated people vote the other way... maybe I should vote the way the smart people are voting..." It's a hopeless cause because of course uneducated people don't think at all; they're just going with their gut racial biases.

May 14, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. OSEKI EVANS, Norway

Fine, can she please get out of the kitchen now?

14. Linda. Boston, MA

He's got all the numbers, and his momentum continues despite WV. May 20th will be the day when he secures a majority of the pledged delegates. The super delegates aren't going to go against that – even the parties most senior officials have stated as much (the Pelosi club).

Hillary's only purpose in continuing to campaign is to try to put herself in a position where she can strong-arm her way into the VP. She's not concerned with what's best for the party right now, only what's best for her.

May 14, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Pamela:

I didn't know he won 3 superdelegates. I thought is was only 2. SWEET!!! :)

16. Emma

I am so proud of Senator Obama. Please DO NOT offer the VP position to Hillary Clinton.

Has anyone noticed that the supporters of Hillary Clinton in West Virginia admitted (at least they have the guts) that they voted on race? How can Hillary beam with joy when her voters admitted that they voted for her because she is white? Hillary is crazy, I will remember her orange jacket standing on the podium in West Virginia when she returns to Maryland in 2012 or 2016 looking for the black vote. I pray this never happens because no black american will ever vote for her if Senator Obama looses this election.

She can return with her cheating husband to New York and hope the voters in New York allow her to become their governor. As far as I am concerned, Hillary and Bill are finished in the black community and I will actively campaign against them if either decide to run for public office again! I GUARANTEE THIS!

17. matt n ohio

when will people learn that he can't win the office against McCain. Hillary showed last night that he wont appeal to white votes. This white guy wont vote for him and there are many more like me. Enjoy 4 more years of republican rule.

18. Robert

Give it up OBAMA!!!! Senator Clinton will be the next US President!!!

19. Karen from Charlottesville

Personally, while I do thing everyone needs a vote, I hope that this primary doesn't hinge on the ignorant and racist voters. Anyone who wouldn't vote for a person soley because of the color of his/her skin isn't doing their civic duty to learn about the important issues facing this country, and they aren't very patriotic if they aren't willing to do the work to educate themselves about the issues facing all of us in the US.

20. Robert

GO OBAMA! WE ARE WITH YOU!
    HILLARY IS O.K TO LOSE. WE GOT ENOUGH FROM ALL YOUR FAMILY! THIS COUNTRY NEEDS NEW LEADERS AND NEW GENERATIONS NEED TO KNOW THAT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA HAVE MORE CAPABLE PEOPLE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY BESIDES THE BUSH AND CLINTON'S FAMILIES
    GO OBAMA, GO OBAMA, GO OBAMA
    LATINOS FOR OBAMA

21. sally, new york

i wonder how the remaining states feel about obama ignoring them.

22. ltd1974

Obama did mention that a victory speach will be given on the 20th, for the Democrat nomimation. Hillary is auditioning for Vice President

23. in Nov

All the fat ladies will sing in Nov.

We won't let Obama and the corrupt DNC steal this election.

We will not condone their terrible treatment of Clinton, by voting for Obama in Nov.

24. karen

Please, please Hillary get out!!! I'm starting to feel embarresed for her. It has become "all about Hillary" and NOT the democratic party. It's almost like "if I can't win, NO ONE is going to get it" and to hell with everyone else. Obama has "blown" her away just in his organizational skills and money not to mention how many other "swing" states he has carried. Demographics are changing. The west is getting so much more populated that Hillary can't keep repeating, "back when Bill was running.......". Please Hillary get out and save your money. I would not be opposed to her as VP just not president. I want someone in Washington with NO inside connections to lobbiests or big business. We need a fresh start with someone new that really can give us that "HOPE" again and that the American Dream is not dead after Bush killed it!!!! And McCain will do worse than "kill" the American Dream, we won't have a country left to dream about!!!! And I was a republican up until this administration!!!

25. Hillary or McCain

Whoop-dee-doo! Obama will still lose in November if he's the Democratic nominee. The vast majority of us Hillary supporters will NOT vote for him, and we will not change our minds. Period. There is no way the Great divider Obama will unify us, so put that in your pipe and smoke it, CNN talking heads.

Obama stole my Florida vote for Hillary, and he'll just have to be satisfied with that. He gets nothing else from me.

And I don't care about Roe vs. Wade. I can no longer have children.

May 14, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |