May 14th, 2008

Edwards to endorse Obama

Edwards will endorse Obama, CNN has confirmed.
Edwards will endorse Obama, CNN has confirmed.

(CNN) - CNN has confirmed that former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards will endorse Barack Obama shortly at a Michigan campaign event.

The endorsement could help Obama reach out to white, blue-collar voters - a demographic group that Obama has failed to capture, most notably in the recent Pennsylvania and West Virginia primaries.

Edwards received 7 percent of the vote in Tuesday's West Virginia contest.

The former North Carolina senator had campaigned on the message that he was standing up for the little guy, the people who are not traditionally given a voice in Washington, and that he would do more to fight special interests.

After dropping out of the race on January 30, Edwards asked both Clinton and Obama to make poverty a central issue of the general election and a future Democratic administration, something both agreed to do.

Full story

1. Unci

The True Dream Team: Obama & Edwards. I always liked what Edwards said on Poverty. What a dynamic duo. Heal the Nation & Out with the same old, same old, same old...

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. LINDA,FL

I do not understand – why are you surprised?
    Did you expect he will support phony clintons?

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

JOHN EDWARDS IS THE UNITER THE DEMOCRAT PARTY NEEDS. OBAMA AND EDWARDS ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE. HILLARY RAN A GOOD RACE AND WE DO LOOK FORWARD TO THE SUPPORT SHE WILL BRING.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Jeff

My personal feelings is that all the super delegates must be paid off by the republican party... I cannot see Obama running against McCain and making it... Hillary has a better chance unless this country wants more of the last eight years.
    To me what we have right now is a racist type of race.. sorry but that is my comment

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Claire

Thank you John Edwards!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Mike SK

Wish Edwards could of endorsed Obama before West Virgina. All his delegates go to Obama this is huge news and Hillary it is over on May 20th no matter what number she makes up.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. ladylove

YES, I am so happy that someone one has enough since to try and complete the MATH. That lady is trying to use psycology to the world and it is sad that a lot of people will fall for it. She knows how to use psycology well and especially by tearing up.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. marie

Thank you, John Edwards. Better late than never.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. Former Obama Supporter

Obama and the party elite really want to end this race. I am just disgusted with the democratic party. The have treated Hillary and her supporters like crap. If Obama steals this nomination, then I am going over to the Republican party for 4 years, until Hillary runs again. We Hillary supporters will not join Obama. I am really ashamed of the Democratic party.

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Griff

The truth is, a large ball, spins in open space. Nobody has still figured
    out.... Why

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  11. georgia

Great !! Onward & upward = Never HC for VP!!!!.
    Hillary's campaign money largely spent on buying voters off the street. Check with Texas & Pa. Hillary OUT !!!!! Go back to Republican now !!

May 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Dave

Next up: Nobel Laureate Al Gore

Dems UNITE!

13. Leichtman

I am disguted that I gave my time and contributions to Edwards. He must have been impresseed with Obama's 41% loss yesterday to the base of the former Edwards supporters. What a jerk.

14. Mary

I am happy Edwards is endorsing Obama...might have been better to have done it earlier...not sure why the wait unless he was waiting for a cabinet post?

15. Rick

Billary – With Edwards endorsing my opponent, I'm more determined than ever to continue this fight.

16. shawn

It is about time that we unite this party. Mrs. Clinton, can you please exit NOW!

17. lopez

Praise the Lord!! Thank You !!

18. Anonymous

The FAT lady has sung.

All aboard !!!!!!!!

THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM IN THE OBAMA TRAIN...

19. Ron Larson

Sooo, someone who was ran as a veep, and got dismantled by Cheney is great news. BFD! You Obamaites are still on pins and needles if he is "forced" to choose the Clinton's as his running mates, that's the real issue, either way, your convention in Denver is going to be Must See TV! Watching you elitiist socialists tear each other apart is going to be Hillaryious! Just like 1980 The Obama camp is going to have to feature The Clinton's and their divisive crap and basically their platform ideas, just like Carter had to put up with Kennedy. Prediction:

McCain/Crist 53%
    Obama/Richardson 44%

20. sanger, tx

PETER KAVAN-are you speaking in tongues ? oh!!! it's a banana in your mouth. GO HILLARY!!!!!

21. Kevin S

Game, set, match.

The fat lady has been singing so much, she lost her voice.

22. HRC3655

What a sellout by Edwards.....Oh well, Elizabeth was the only true candidate in their family.

23. Deric

Mr. Obama is on his Way to the White House! Democratic Party, Get behind our New President! God Bless You Obama & Edwards!

24. Oliver

YES OBAMA 08!

25. andy dufrain

I think Hillary will be gracious in her exit from the primary when she thinks it is time.. I have to correct my past opinions of her. She has been very strong and has attacked Obama in the race but if and when she exits I think she will help bring the party together and make sure that her supporters do not go for McCain.

I hope she doesn't take the VP post as I think she can play a different role and also I think it will create too much of a tussle in the white house down the line.

Democrats 08!!!!