May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. HILLARY SUPPORTER

She should ask HIM to be HER VP.....:)

May 14, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. Floridian for Obama

NEVER!!! WE DO NOT WANT HILLARY FOR VICE PRESIDENT, HE WOULD NEED A FOOD TASTER AND A BACK WATCHER. SHE IS PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER 1.

May 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  3. Charles

I wouldn't mind Hillary as VP. But then you get Bill with that package. The question will always be will they respect him as the president and not make backdoor comments.

May 14, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  4. Floridian for Obama

IF SHE CAN'T MANAGE HER CAMPAIGN, HOW IS SHE GOING TO RUN THE COUNTRY. THE ONLY THING BIGGER THAN HER EGO IS HER PHONY SMILE.

May 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. Rick in Florida

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! He should ask Gov Rendel to be his running mate and secure PA for November. With Hillary and Bill in the White House (even as #2) she and Bill will undermine Barack every day until he's too weak to run again in 2012.....and then VOILA, she'll step in to run!! Why invite a snake into the bedroom and then turn out the lights??

May 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. FLORIDA Voter for Barack Obama

Let me spell it out for you people:

I.T. I.S. N.O.T. G.O.I.N.G. T.O. H.A.P.P.E.N.

Ok??

May 14, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  7. New Politics

Mr. Rendell – what if Sen. Obama asks you to be VP? are you going to turn it down?

May 14, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. Jeanne

Clinton would not be a good choice for Obama and he should be able to choose his own VP. However it is nice to hear the Pennsylvania governor concede that Obama has won.

May 14, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. Ludovic

So Clinton is running for VP now?
    interesting

May 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  10. Firm Supporter of Obama

He should NOT ask her to be his VP. She or McSame is NOT about change in Washington but rather BUSINESS AS USUAL. She does not possess the qualities we need–loyalty, honesty, need I say more...

May 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  11. Milwaukee for Obama

Hillary supporter, she is not getting the nomination and she is not getting the VP post either. Deal with it. Vote McCain if you want. Obama should never ever put that woman in any office near him. if he does that, I will vote for McCain.

May 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. LATINO VOTER

No, Coming from ED RENDELL, the last person we want as a VP, would be any type of RACE BAITER divider like RENDELL or CLINTON. STOP BIGOTRY NOW!

May 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Lilly

You have got ot be kidding me.

Why would Mr. President Obama ever want someone like Hillary to be his VP.

All she does it lie to the American people. She can't manage her campaign. Stayed with her cheating husband only for her own political gains. She has no morals.

Why would we ever want someone like Hillary anywhere near the White House? I know of NO one who would Ever vote for her !

May 14, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. CINCINNATI, OHIO

for one Hillary is not change.

And for all of Hillary's uneducated voters who say they will not vote for Obama in the general election will only hurt them selves. Since most of his supporters are wealthy, educated, etc. will not be affected as some of the uneducated. It will be wise to come together in the general election. As much as we have become devided we cant win the election unless we come together. While I have much respect for Sen. Clinton, the race is over and its time to heal.

May 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Anna

He wouldn't be able to accept because he already has the Presidential nominee position, but I am sure he would be very gracious and thank her for the offer.

May 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  16. lol

the media is acting as if obama is the nominee already. the presumptive nominee lost EVERY county in the state of WV. how pathetic is that. this late in the game and he can't even win ONE county in a must win state for democrats. maybe rendell could be hillary's vice president. the superdelegates have to be blind if they can't see that obama can't get votes from the core of the democratic party.

May 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Jim

If Clinton is on the ticket, I'll vote for McCain. There is no why I would EVER vote for her.

May 14, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  18. Jay NY/NJ

I don't think so. I think she'd only try to undermine what he's trying to do. Plus I thinks she has some legal issues that wont come up till after November regarding 2002 campaign money that might hurt them. I see how maybe she can help as far as him possibly getting elected, but I think she and Bill would not let him be who he is and bring about the change that's necessary. I also think she has said too many negative things for him to swallow. And then we'd have to believe that she now likes him and believes in him? I don't know if it's a good idea. I think he has to cleverly pick someone that will help him in the areas he's week in.

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. LB

No He Should Not!!

I will not vote to put the Clintons back in the white house. After what they have demonstrated in this campaign, I do not want to feel responsible for what they do.

I never voted for Geoarge Bush. I won't vote for McCain but I also won't vote to put the Clintons back in the white house. I can't in good conscience to that.

I trust and believe in Senator Obama but Hillary needs to go back to the senateand start acting like the fighter she has presented herself to be in this campaign. I have watched the senate for years and there is nothing tthat she has done there that has ever been impressive or demonstrated leadership.

No Thanks Rendell! No Hillary for me!!!

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Bayoubula

Never happen. Why would Obama want to look over his shoulder for the next 8 years.

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  21. Helena

Hey CNN announce this! 2 more superdelegates for Obama this morning and the day is young! The endorsements keep rolling in for Obama and 0 for Clinton. I believe this makes 29 or 30 since last Tuesday for Senator Obama.

I do not want Hillary Cinton on any ticket!!!

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. jeremy

hillary is way too polarizing to be his VP. she has done nothing but slander and throw mud up until she realized she has no hope. no she tones down her campaign to save face and score the VP gig.
    no chance obama gives the job to her

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  23. Melissa

Whatever!!! They would have him knocked off!!!

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  24. Samantha

I agree. Hillary is the strongest candidate. She should not be VP, in my opinion she already held the #2 spot and is ready for #1.

May 14, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. shelly in IL

WHY? Hillary has consistent with the vicious attacks and still continues to do so. If Senator O were to ask her, I hope she says NO!

May 14, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |