May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. Doug, WV

If Obama picks Clinton as his VP I am one Rep Supporter of Obama that will not support his Ticket.

Anybody but Hillary

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  2. @americans

IF HILLARIOUS WANTS TO BE A VEEPEE, SHE NEEDS TO DROP OUT NOW!

SHE CAN'T EAT HER CAKE AND HAVE IT TOO – DESTROYING THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY & OBAMA AND WANTING TO BE IN THE TICKET AS WELL!

NEVA GONE' HAPPEN!!!!!

OBAMA '08! – YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. No, NO, NO!!!!

She admitedly has too much baggage, and Bill with all of his deals with Chinese Uranium Mines, the Amir of Dubai and God Knows what else, it far too much baggage for Senator Obama.

Rendell should be quiet, he has some baggage too!

Senator Obama's message of Change is antithetical to anything Clinton. I would suggest Ted Strictland, Katherine Sebilius, Chuck Hagel, Bill Richardson –anyone but the Clintons (he would get Bill too).

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. carol NC

He should not period.............Who wants to be bothered with her and bill.

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. Dr. Truth, Boston

ABC!!!!!
    ANYONE BUT CLINTON!

If he is serious about changing the tone of political discourse, Clinton and her elitist cronies have to be left on the sideline.

Sen. Webb for VP!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  6. MO

It's time to have different kind of politics in the country. They (Clintons) should leave the politics for the good of the country and democratic party. She will be most divisive VP in the American History. She will try to act as President just because she thinks she is entitle to be a President. And it will be contrast to what Senator Obama stands for.

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  7. Washington

Asking her to be his V P would be like asking a cow to keep up with a thoroughbred.

May 14, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. Dominique

No Obama should not put Clinton on his ticket. That would be the quickest way for him to lose my vote.

May 14, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Kathleen

A real UNITY ticket would be Obama asking Clinton to be his running mate.

I'd like to SEE Obama walk his TALK, and UNIFY our party — and selecting Hillary is the only way to prove he is really "above it all". I would respect and support the man if he could do that.

Also - joint ticket would FORCE all the haters on each side to UNITE for the good of the party.

So I say to Barack - be a man, get beyond your EGO and let he healing begin!!

BTW - Last year I moved from Oregon (where they hold a primary to nominate a presidential candidate) to the state of Colorado (where they caucus). And I have to say I'm shocked at how UNDEMOCRATIC the caucus was, at least in Colorado.

I attend Colorado State University where I live in Fort Collins, and there wasn't any visible effort to organize the voters in this city to participate in the caucus.

I had no clue HOW to vote, WHERE to vote, let alone WHEN to vote. I'm an Oregonian - where the state runs the election process and doesn't leave it up to local party members. The local dems really dropped the ball here in Colorado. I small number of people in this state swung the election for Obama.

The fact that Obama is claiming that he WON the state of Colorado - based on the showing in the caucus - is a JOKE. Give me a primary election any day. That's the only FAIR way to conduct an "election".

Obama will be in for a surprise when the people in Colorado - and all the other caucus states - actually have an opportunity to cast a VOTE.

He NEEDS Hillary's base!

May 14, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. Guido in NJ

It's either first place or no place. I don't think Hillary should lower her standards and take 2nd place because if she did and WHEN Obama loses they will blame her.........let him fail on his own.

If on June 3rd she's not the nominee, she will bow out and she will be back in 2012 after 4 more years of MCBush.

Go Hillary!!!!!! It's not over yet, Madame President.

May 14, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  11. OBAMA Supporter used to be a Hillary Supporter

I think Hillary should be on Obama's ticket, although I'm not sure if they could work well together. The country is in dire need for a change and that's why I give my support to Obama. Hillary has the experiene, but great things have been accomplished under extreme scrutiny before. Why not Obama? Although I believe that experience isn't everything and that a fresh candidate might be best, I do think that an experienced political VP could be very beneficial to Obama. My personal reason for changing my support and what I think changed a lot of the support from Hillary to Obama was integrity. To put as simple as possible, Hillary was caught in a few lies as well as going negative once she started losing. Obama never once went negative and when he slightly did it wasn't really negative. It was a fact that he pointed out. Hillary DID vote to go to war, she DID encourage her husband support NAFTA and the whole deal about sniper fire. Come on. She changed her words around a lot since then and hasn't been completely honest with us. Obama has. Obama tried weed before and came from the bottom. He admits that we are all human and that he is not so different from the average American. Hillary claims she is, but people are being blinded. She is not the typical American who had to struggle to come up. How can someone relate to blue collar workers when she wasn't one before or didn't grow up around them. Honesty. Don't you think that just maybe Obama is more closely related to those workers and those Americans. I know Hillary is a good candidate as is Obama, but all I'm saying is that people should pick their president based on who they are has a person more so than what experience they have under their belt. We were once the unexperienced nation of the New World that was expected to fail, but now we are the strongest nation on Earth. Why? because we took risks and followed our hopes and dreams. My words to Obama is that he should make the dream ticket a reality. Hillary should be on the ticket so that we can show the world that we are moving past our petty differences of gender and race. God Bless President Obama and Vice President Clinton.
    God Bless!!!

May 14, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. Tommy

Senator Obama: Do not touch Hillary with a 50 foot pole to be your running mate. You can do so much better!

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe NM

A TOTAL NO..... Hillary is the antithesis of everything Obama stands for.... we want CHANGE, not more Clintons or Bushes anywhere near the White House.

Hillary is far to megalomaniacal to be trusted..... NO HILLARY ON THE TICKET....

OBAMA-EDWARDS '08

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  14. Swiss in Canada

Oregon, Montana, South Dakote: PLEASE!
    Make it clear: Obama is your man!
    Some people think Canadiens should shut up. But see, Americans think, they are the leader of the free world. So, it is our buisiness too.....Oregon, Montana, South Dakota, Supers: it's all in your hands now....
    Susan

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. Kyle

IF Obama is the nominee: But if he doesn't ask her, will he alienate her voters? They may feel that he is showing disrespect not to just her but to also disrespect to them. Why should her voters cross over the democratic divide when he has been campaigning for unity and is not willing to make that crossover himself by not asking her to be his VP?
    The same would apply if she becomes the nominee.

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. John Lane

I would think having the clintons in the White House would create a lot of difficulties for President Obama. They would work at cross-purposes behind Obama's back. They are not to be trusted. Does anyone believe Billary would be content just quietly being the VP and not making trouble? I also worry about the idea of HRC's finger being on the nuclear button. I hope that never happens. I believe she would think nothing of obliterating the people of Iran, or No. Korea, or Russia.

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. ted

The responses here show just how hateful, vengeful and partisan the decmocrats of America really are. This "rift" in the party is merely campaigning and will only remain once the nominee is chosen if the you allow it to – Both Clinton and Obama clearly respect each other in spite of the fact that they jab each other.

Democrats should thank their lucky stars that they have two fantastic candidates for the top office. The problem is the divisive partisanism of the rank and rile democrat. Get over it and understand that if you are pro Clinton or pro Obama that the other democrat is not the enemy else just wait until 2012.

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  18. Mary

Senator Obama should be able to make the choice of his vp running mate. Why Hillary? She is not that fond of blacks, she is a liar and can not be trusted. He should be given the same rights as everyone else. His vp running mate should be his choice and his only.

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. Peter

Agree 100% with Gov. Rendell.
    If Obama is the nominee he needs HILLARY as VP in order to win.
    We have to take in consideration that many people who voted for Obama prior rev. Wright , etc. some of them might have changed opinion.
    We all know everything about HILLARY and President Clinton ( His eight years terms were no so badly for American)
    I still hope that the American people WAKE UP, see that HILLLARY is the most qualified and prepared to win in November., and yes ask Obama to be her VP.

HILLARY 08

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. Danni In Michigan

If you were the President of the United States, would you trust a "we do WHATEVER it takes to get what we want" Clinton, to be your Vice President?

May 14, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Gerard

Because of her rhetoric talking she is indeed experienced.
    But she is also from the old category. What did she really done well in her State New York. I remember her promises those days as well.
    Het healthcare program in 1992 was a disaster. a.s.o.
    The world is not waiting on her at all. In opposed to Obama.
    He is the representative of the whole world. You and we are waiting on such a leader. Common sense, please?

May 14, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  22. A.M. Saqib

It is entirely up to 'Obama', and whosoever he will select his 'VP, it is fine with me. I am a democrat, and definitely work and vote for 'Obama', in November.

A.M. Saqib
    Houston, Texas

May 14, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. Debra, Alton

To the Hillary supporters...

YES WE WILL TO THE VP OFFER NO WE WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  24. Here we go...

again! Why keep bringing this up as an issue. I will be very surprised if Obama offers her a VP spot. She has tried to under mind him, damage him and his character and I really don't think that he trusts her well enough to offer that spot to her.

Don't know the man personally but the way he talks about change and hope for the future, Hillary isn't that person to cheer that on.

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  25. 60 year old white female, Mo

No way. Obama is claiming a CHANGE. Hillary for DP would not reflect the change... In addition she has been too negative... and she will bring with her Bill... No ,NO No No....

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |