May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. ECHEWEOZO

NOT,GONNA HAPPEN

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. bill

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama better not ask Clinton or he will lose a tremendous amount of support......I backed him from the very start and if he asked Clinton to be VP I would never support that ticket.

Rendell is a joke...He along with Clinton played every angle of race that could be played. I believe Rendell is what the KKK member looks like with his hood off.

Clinton, Carville, Rendell = KKK

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Jerry

Senator Obama should not have to have an IMPEACHED president
    or his wife lurking over his shoulder. There should be a rule banning
    impeached presidents or their wives from ever occupying the oval
    office again.

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. oil rules

I see a LOT of the same people posting here, sometimes more than 1 comment on the same topic. But, whenever I comment and mention Barack's middle name it never gets through? Is it taboo to be allowed to even mention his middle name? Kinda like we can't ever show the planes hitting the towers anymore.......

May 14, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Terry in Fl

Democrats! Just say NO to Obama, regardless if Hillary is VP. It's a ploy to keep the vote democratic while pushing an inferior candidate into the leadership role of our country. He's a puppet. Hillary has been mistreated by this party and even if they use her to get into the White House, as VP she will still be discounted and mistreated. Don't fall for it! Hillaryn or Mccain! NO OBAMA! Shame on you DNC! You need to be replaced.

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. Eliot from Chicago, Illinois

Sorry....

I would trade the Carolinas and Colorado for Ohio, WV, and Penn.

Time to realign the Democrat and Republican maps as Reagan did in the 80s.

Obama/Bloomberg 08

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Wake Up

To those of you who think that Obama won't ask Clinton: Either you are on crack, or he is! If Obama's ego gets the better of him and he doesn"t ask Clinton to be his V.P. then the Dems will lose in November, and it will be all Obama's fault.

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Dena

I want you, Gov. Rendell, because America needs to be led by men with even tempers. I'm a black female, Ph. d, but didn't support Jessie Jackson. He was too preachy and turned me off. Obama needs the white male vote and you would be the perfect match in middle America. No white woman (Gov. of Kansas) as good as she is. The time is not ripe for women to rule in America.

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. ECHEWEOZO

No trust on billary

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Zoey

Some may disagree but I think Obama doesn't needs Clinton to be on the ticket. She represents an "old politics". I think Kathleen Sebilus (Gov. Kansas) would make a great VP for Obama

Obama/Seblius '08 !! ! ! ! !

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. TEE

i do wonder why now with the possible first black president we now feel like we should also elect his vp. instead of him selecting his running mate the same way it has been for all of my adult life.yes i'm aware it happen a long time ago once or twice. but when you earn the highest job in the world wouldn't you want to elect who you like to work with you. please people the vp is selected not elected. if he wants clinton then so be it, and if not so be it. all this who's not going to vote for him beause of color, america it's time to change aa have been voting for white presidents all our lifes please don't believe one race is better than another. some people need to look in the mirror and call it what it is.

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. exploder98

I still say John Edwards is the perfect VP. He couldn't do much for Kerry because Kerry was an idiot but together, they both have the charisma and drive to really get people excited about this election, not to mention the fact that Edwards could certainly plug up some of the holes in states like WV and some of the states that have been demographically detrimental to Obama. I personally would throw my vote not to McCain, but likely Nader or another indy candidate if the world turned inside out and HRC actually got the nod.

May 14, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Uncle Sam

Although not aligned with either party, I applaud those Democrats who are willing to break ranks to support Sen. McCain, placing the welfare of the country over partisan conformity.

Americans for McCain '08

May 14, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. LET IT GO

blah blah blah..............Please let's stop this madness, this is more crazy than the monica lewisky storying. Billary should Never and I mean Never be ask to be on this ticket he would lose for sure. Let her be with her V.W. not for change people.

May 14, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. Enlightened Voter

He is disgusting. He is my Governor and I am ashamed to admit it. We all knew he was crooked that is why he endorsed Hillary so she could carry on their crooked legacy. Rendell, please go somewhere!!

May 14, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Montana is Obama Country

So, at 3:00am Barack would be answering the phone. It would be Hillary (presumptive VP) on the other end telling him she has just duck from sniper fire.. And.. then Hillary would say- sorry- I just misspoke...

Barack could never tell if she was lying or telling the truth.. That is how good she is at lying.. Get ride of her..

Hillary is bad for American values.. unless your values include lying to people.. 68% of people polled said she was -dishonest – ..
    yeah... like that is good for the ticket..

Barack just picked up two more superdelegates this moring.. count is 30 this past week – which trumps her 20 delegates she got in WV..

But more interesting is- No democrat has won the Presidential race when the primary carried all the way to the convention.. Hillary is dividing the american people and in only looking out for her own interest in the next election.. unless she throws out some kitchen sink..

But maybe she could ask little kids for their milk money to support her indebted campaign.

May 14, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Sarah

I would not vote for Obama even if Hillary was on the ticket.
    Obama supporters have short memories, Bill Clinton was a great President, Hillary has done a lot for children, blacks and women in this country and Obama supporters have the gall to denigrate all of their work! I would like to see any one of us accomplish a tenth of what either of the Clintons have and will accomplish.
    I could almost vote for Obama if it weren't for his trashy supporters.

May 14, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. L & I'm out peace

You must be crazy, because she will undermine all of his policies. It will be President Obama, and the Clintons. No away. He should choose someone else and not her....

May 14, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Chris, Middletown, CT

no....no he shouldn't....Obama was right on Iraq from the beginning – and he is right not to have Clinton anywhere near the White House....no way....no how....literate people would never support Clinton....(HRC supporters....start reading....you will be so mad that she played you for so long)

May 14, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. Robert in Toronto,ON

Kentucky Man,

Maybe you should check yourself because I know for a FACT that all these people who can't stand Hillary Clinton? Guess what – they are WHITE. Not angry blacks as you put it.

Good thing the rest of the country doesn't go by what someone from West Virginia or Kentucky thinks. Sheesh.

May 14, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. Linned

I don't think that it would be a good idea. Senator Obama is for change, has values and integrity. Senator Clinton changes with the wind – whatever is popular among the voters, even if it is not in their best interest in the long term. I prefer you tell me the truth instead of what you think I want to hear.

May 14, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. Christine V from Dallas, TX

Men cant take women who has power...sexist losers!

Obama is too stupid with out Hillary! Opposites attract! Obama weak! Hillary strong!

May 14, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  23. WAMILELE

That will happen in the 14th month of the year, when the elephant flies across west Indies. Guess you know the season that would happen. You have a college degree, don't you? These guys want to harvest apple after sowing thorns, wish them luck.
    Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  24. 60 year old white female, Mo

Clinton is not the only one in all the US who can be qualified to be a VP and bring the party together for a success in Fall with Obama... Obama will find someone.... NO Hillary, No Rendell...

May 14, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. OH

Come on now...stop the he should she should crap.

NO...NO...NO...you got that? NOOOOO!!!

Americans forget very easy what took place in the 90's. It was Bill who caused the Dems to loose in 2000.

It was the little blue dress with the stain that cause the Dems to loose to Bush.

Bill never campaigned for Gore or Kerry, he ran and hid in his hole while the loving Americans suffered.

Had he did the right things and did not mess around, the GOP would have died.

To all the race this ...race that...Blacks vote for Bill 90% in both elections but now black are no good...right? Yeah right!

I don't forget the 90's and that in 1999 to 2000; Bill NEVER spont one hour on the campaign trail. He is now though but just because it is Hillary.

Americans are brain dead!

May 14, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |