May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. evelyn

Hillary does not deserved the VP slot with all her negativity. She should just drop.

May 14, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  2. Zoey

And for those of you Dems who will vote for McCain instead of Obama. I would rather you just stay home and let your bigotry eat away at you.

May 14, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  3. Chris from NY

Go home Mr. Rendell. Was that the reason why you kept on suggesting to the voters in your state not to vote for a balck man? You and Mrs Clinton injected race in to this presidential bid. So we don't need you. We have forgiven you for what you said but we don't need to be reminded of it daily. That's what will happen if we have Hillary on the ticket. And as I have said in the past, if Hillary is on Obama's ticket I will not vote in November.

May 14, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  4. Ron L

ABSOLUTELY NOT.....

In my opinion Hillary has eliminated herself by her behavoir during the campaign. She has been for things in the beginning, then against them 2 months later, she has OUTRIGHT LIED, she has implied Obama is an elitist when SHE KNOWS he is not, she POINT BLANK said while herself and McCain bring experience, Obama only brings a SPEECH!! She then propose the GAS TAX HOLIDAY...knowing it was more harmful that helpful!!

I ask anyone who is reading this..
    WOULD YOU WANT HER AS YOUR RUNNING MATE AFTER SHE HAS SAID AND DONE THESE THINGS??

Hillary is an OLD-SCHOOL, CRASH and BURN Liar Politician. She is the Past, Obama is the FUTURE.

IT WOULD BE A MAJOR MISTAKE ON OBAMA PART. And I would rather see him lose the general election than select her. Why?? Because by not selecting her, he would once again show he is not afraid to go against the tide ( old school politics) and not take the easy route.

AMERICA needs a fresh start..this can not include Hillary!!

May 14, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  5. Mark

I think he is smarter then that. I'm pretty sure he is looking at what she is doing the Dem party and saying I dont think the people want this so why would he in turn have her as his running mate but I will give her one good point she is doing one heck of a job trying to run for the number two spot by basically winning the swing states which could make a good argument that her and Barrack would have a cake walk to the white house if she is the Vice pres

May 14, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  6. bill pike

clinton are in the swimming pool business: they are raising money to pay debt and i hope someone gets their hands on the books, remember all those financial dealings, "made over 100 million off the presidency". if they shut down and can't pay 20 million in debt???????? they are building a new swimming pool to pay off the debt of the old one and some people want the clintons back in financial washing dc. ONE BORN EVERY DAY.

May 14, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  7. Anonymous

I am totally confused.
    Did he said that Obama should pick Hilary as VP.
    I can vividly recall when Hilary won the Ohio and Texas Primary, the question was that Hilary shold be the president while Obama becomes the VP. By then Obama was still winning. She never wanted the VP position then. My question and concern is, how come she is fighting so hard now for the VP spot?

I don't think Hilary should demand that she becomes VP. The Nominee has the power to choose anyone deem fit to be his or her VP.
    This is the same manupilation and demanding attitude we have seen from the Clintons.
    The Clintons have divided this country and we have all seen this during the West Virgina primary, where she told the whole world that WHITE America will not vote for a black man.

I don't think the media should give a blind eye to those comments of hers. This is very seriuous. Imagine if Obama have said that Black America will not vote for a white woman.(What would have been the story today).
    CNN is one of the most bias media outlet of our times. We have to report accurately and fairly about both candidates.
    She has destroy the democratic party, and I don't think she should demand for the VP spot, she doesn't deserve to be a VP or the President.
    It would not work. There are so many qualified individuals who are ready and capable to be a running mate for Obama.

She has been too negative and she still is.

May 14, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  8. ECHEWEOZO

Obama should ask clinton to be vp?for what?

obama does not need hillary, we want change

May 14, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. yes she will

nah nah nah...let me explain it to you again

HE DOES NOT WANT ANYONE TO CARRY CLINTON's BANNER !
    He wants someone to carry the DEMOCRATIC BANNER !

We dont wants clinton any place near Obama. Next thing you know, Someone " suicide" him, and she becomes president...

To many mysterious death around these clinton people.

May 14, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. Interesting

The new JFK (that is what the Kennedy's are touting) and LBJ. I like it. Obama needs to worry about the KKK more so than Clinton. The secret service detail already told them that they will take him out before he sets a foot in the White House.

May 14, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  11. Lan Hennessy

Thanks Governor Rendell... I aggreed with him.

May 14, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  12. PA-Danielle

As a Pennsylvanian, I really do not understand Rendell's popularity. He is king of big city (Philly only) smoke-filled backroom politics. He has done nothing to support Higher Education in this state and ran on a platform of bringing gambling to PA. He is as bad a choice of VP as Hillary Clinton is.

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius is a great choice for VP. She neutralizes all the women that only voted for Clinton because she is female but adds a lot more respect. The only issue is that she doesn't have a military background.

My suggestion to Obama – don't just announce your VP...announce half your cabinet as well. From the very beginning say the Sebelius will be your VP, Clinton will be your Sec. of Health and Human Services, Gore as your Sec of Energy, Richardson for Homeland Security, etc. Lock it in from the beginning and make them all stump for you.

May 14, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  13. Marcus

Having Hillary as a VP would be like being friends with someone that ridiculed you as a child but admires you as an adult because of your accomplishments. The thought defies what Sen. Obama is all about. Change. Not sacrifice to please the voters out there who will not be satisfied because they see skin color and not political stance as the actual issue. Alot of people are scared of change. There is no need to be. Open your eyes your ears and your hearts and than make a decision. Do not settle Sen. Obama Hillary is not in your corner and anyone that doubts you without knowing what your about isn't either. http://www.barackobama.com Educate yourself.

May 14, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. Alabama Republican

As a Republican I don't really care for McCain. I believe that Obama is the right person to reach out to Republicans, Democtates and Independants. With all the issues we are facing as a nation we need for our government to unify and accomplish something.

If Hillary is added to the ticket as the VP, as much as I hate to, I would vote for McCain – as a vote against Hillary.

We have already had "Billary" in the white house. What we need is someone who "doesn't have an ax to grind". We need NEW leadership. A FRESH vision for our nation. I just wish that we could replace all of the "old" thinkers in the House and Senate.

My hope is that Obama can get these people to focus on the issues and actually do something.

May 14, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. Anonymous

She won by 88% in Mingo Co., 84% in Logan Co., and 80% in Wyoming Co: all in the sw right next to Kentucky. There's about 10 more counties where she beat him by 50%. Let's see you say you've won on may 20th now, Sen. Obama. " It ain't over til the lady in the pantsuit says it's over." See you in Kentucky!

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Do her supporter realize she said the low income and uneducated people vote for her and when I looked at them last night thats exacly what they look like, like my mom said they are not smart enough to know she's insulting them, if I did not have a college degree after saying that I would be smart enough not to vote for her, what an insult.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. J.S.

The white uneducated voter base of Hillary Clinton will vote for a canned ham or a six pack of cheap beer as long as it isn't black. However, many of Hillary’s 'other' supporters have proudly proclaimed that they would vote for John McCain WHEN Senator Obama wins the nomination. I wonder if they would feel so high and mighty if they ran the risk of driving over a road-side bomb on the way to their botox appointment or the 'Sex in the City' movie premiere in their soccermom mobile -

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Chicagoan

It will be very weak ticket.Obama needs someone with REAL expirience,governor or veteran.Jim Webb who will help to cary Virginia
    for example.
    I can imagine republicans adds where Hillary is bashging Obama and praise Mccaine expirience.
    Hillary lost her chances to be a VP couple month ago campaining dirty against Obama.
    Jim Webb,Randel,Sibelius but not Clinton.She will energize republican base.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. MD

To both Obama and Hillary supporters. If we do not support the democratic nominee then we stand to deal with another four more years or possibly eight. Is that what we want. The healthcare needs to be fix.. The economy stinks so bad that yen is far more valuable then the dollar.
    We are missing the point. If we don't support the nominee we are going to be regretting the decision we made by not voting. I am an Obama supporter, if Hillary wins the nomination I will support her. I don't want to see this country in the hands of another republican.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. SlimSista

OBAMA SHOULD NOT ASK HILLARY TO BE HIS VP....HILLARY HAS BEEN VERY NEGATIVE TOWARDS OBAMA AND I WOULD NOT TRUST HER AT ALL...HILLARY IS A SORE LOSER...NO MORE HILLARY...I'M SURE THERE IS A BETTER CANDIDATE HE AND HIS ADVISORS HAVE IN MIND.....

NO MORE OF HILLARY PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

I'd really like to see an Obama/Clinton (or Clinton/Obama) presidency–they'd be so busy screaming at each other they wouldn't have time to screw the country up any further than it already is.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. Judy

From the looks of last night Rendell I don't think so. I think Hillary would backslide and do her on thing and they will be at odds with each other. She will not let him make a decission with fighting,.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  23. Roosting Chicken

Forget about it, Ed! You'd make a great Secretary of Transportation for Obama and hope you'll work to deliver PA for him in the fall. Hillary as Veep would be like putting the chicken hawk in charge of the henhouse!

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Chmontreal

Both Barrack and Hilary are superb candidates. There are no logical reasons to hate either one of them. Every Hilary supporter that says that he won't vote for Obama and every Obama supporter that says that she won't vote for Clinton is immature, plain and simple. When will the American people grow up? The issues are way more important then this American Idol type popularity competition that seems to be the premise behind most of the comments on this post.

May 14, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. Peter Damoah-Afari

Obama is too smart to allow what happened to president Kennedy to repeat.............

May 14, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |