May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. Chris

I agree, After last night and the polls in WV, the only way to unite the party is to have her on the ticket.

Its funny that Obama supporters are calling for US, Hillary supporters to unite and not destroy the party and vote for McCain or stay home, But when talk of Having Hillary as VP you guys go crazy and say NO and you will never vote for that combo? WOW, who is dividing the party again?

May 14, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Dutch opinion

Wonderful idea! As a team they would be absolutely unbeatable in November and eventually they will get along together very well.

May 14, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. BrianMT

You knew it was only a matter of time until somebody started using the phrase "stay the course" with regards to HRC's campaign. Very ominous overtones. I can't image they're big fans of that wording at Hillary Central.

May 14, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

A year ago, Clinton/Obama was my dream ticket. Now, sad to say, I don't want Hillary anywhere near the White House. Sorry, girl. You turned me away when I was firmly on your side.

May 14, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Rebecca

like Rendell, but I do not like Clinton. She is negative and mean. I for one can see through her manipulations and spin. Anybody who tries to change the rules for personal gain everytime they are losing should not be allowed back in the White House. The Clintons had their 8 years. It's time for someone new.

May 14, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Chic

No way in hell, Then Clinton's will undermine everything he do or say.

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. Mark, Berwyn, PA

Shut up Ed. You're a bought-and-paid for lacky for the Clinton family. Shut up and try to actually DO SOMETHING for our state!!!!!

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

As much as I want to disagree, I can't.

After witnessing the way both Bill and Hillary attacked Obama like a pit bull attacking a rib-eye, part of me says to burn both of them at the stake.

But the other part of me says that, since Obama survived all those attacks, he's actually a stronger candidate. They tried to tear him apart, and all they did was pull the rug out from under themselves! While they were throwing the kitchen sink at him, their superdelegates started dripping away like a leaky faucet.

The only thing they have left is the VP slot. If Obama chooses Hillary, he will need to lay out some ground rules first. We can only imagine what those rules would be, but we can go over those later.

Since he lacks experience, he needs a VP that has experience. Since he has trouble with white and hispanic voters, he needs someone who can attract them in large numbers.

If he holds his nose (and his testicular fortitude, for that matter) and chooses Hillary, I guarantee you they will win by a landslide, and Obama and Hillary will become BFF's. And Bill won't have to sleep on the couch for another four years!

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. The Clintons Scare me

Why, so she can get someone to kill him and make it look like in accident. I know this sounds harsh, but its what a lot of people have in the back of their minds. Sorry for the blunt statement.....
    I just don't trust the Clintons anymore.

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  10. helen2181

Why would Obama ask a traitor to join his camp? As he has tried to show respect to Mrs. Clinton, even during the most heated times, she has done everything she can to try to diminish him as a Democrat, a party leader and as a person. The two Clintons together went to West Virginia and unashamedly stirred up the virulent racist thoughts of those mountaineers, which doesn't take much. Yet, nearly 100,000 of them rejected the nonsense being spewed by this win at any cost pair. Its too bad the brave 100,000 was in the minority. Its a greater shame that the majority let hate rule the day.

I say to Senator Obama, never dance with the devil, you will surely be burned. Stay as far away from the Clinton pair as you can.

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. PR

Dont trust her! She would probably try to form a committee to take him out so she can be President. Dont trust her or her hubby.

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Bobby

Hey if I was Barack Obama I would not ask her to be my VP! Sorry Hillary Supporter ! How can anybody trust her even with money? I know that us Dem's would like this so called dream ticket but let's face reality! I hope The Dem winner (BARACK OBAMA) pick a VP that will stand for all races instead of dividing us!

All the way and YES WE CAN in 2008!

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Becky

Why would Senator Clinton want to be on a ticket with a candidate that
    she spent her entire campaign trying to convince voters that he was
    unelectable, black, inexperienced, unfit, unable to attract white
    voters(her biggest lie yet), etc.? This reminds me of one child trying
    to trick another child out of his candy.

Obama 08.

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. CaliPeach

I would not want Hillary to be Baracks VP, that would be a very bad decision and does not sit well with the majority of Obama supporter's. I prefer Edwards

Obama/Edwards 08 & 12

May 14, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. sheryl

The math is not there for Hillary Clinton, and everyone knows he is not going to ask Hillary to be the VP she is more of the same!!! However what you and others should do to bring our party back together and unite is to ask Hillary to get out!!!! She cant get there we all know it

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. JAB

He should be asked to be her VP – she is the strongest Democratic candidate!

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Susie

If he asks her to be VP, she should clearly and firmly say NO WAY!

I am a strong Hillary supporter but I will not vote for Obama even if she is the VP candidate. He will not help her but only drag her down further. There are no positives in this so-called dream ticket, only double negatives.

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  18. Robert in Toronto,ON

Ed Rendell can go eat a taco....

This guy has wanted Clinton as Presidend and has no plans whatsoever to help campaign for Obama. Him and that whutless Philly Mayor Nutter. Besides, if it was reversed there is no WAY he'd be wanting Obama on their ticket.

The guy is a FRAUD just like his hokey candidate. Anything to stay in power.

Well I got bad news for ya tubby – Obama has learned what kind of people campaign for her (including that mosquito Lanny Davis) and he's going to exorcise all his demons by choosing another candidate for VP. The reign of Clinton Terror is OVA!

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. DREAM TEAM ONCE AGAIN

The best of both worlds! The dream team is back! Wake up people, these candidates are our best chance at winning the white house back! They must run together or the republicans will eat them alive. Just wait until the fall. Its gonna get ugly!

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. Independent

It's not going to happen. Let's just give up on the idea of the dream ticket, and let the nominee pick his own running mate. Polls show that Obama will beat McCain, so why don't we let HIM decide who he wants as his VP.

May 14, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. Jeremy, PA

Who am I not to agree with my Governor. I will accept Obama at the top of the ticket only if the Clinton name is right below it. She is winning the swing states and the states that a Democrat needs to win in order to be President. The democratic party can not loose this election and I have fears of Obama loosing Ohio, PA, and WV. These states support Hillary! I would definately prefer her name at the top of the ticket. Remember: WE NEED TO WIN IN NOVEMBER:
    "WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR"

CLINTON '08

May 14, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  22. PhilT

Why would he want someone to carry the "Clinton banner"?
    The "royal family" has proven time and again their brand of politics needs to become part of the history books.
    It is time for democrats to unite and take the party and country in a new direction in today's world.

"The old road is rapidly aging,
    please get out of the new one, if you can't lend a hand,
    for the times they are a changing."

Obama/Sibelius or Obama/Hagel 08

Phil T.

May 14, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  23. Derrick in Houston, TX

obviously the VOTERS do not think she is otherwise she would be winning.

And tell me, just WHY should he ask her to be VP??? She is the same old politics, and she claims to be the "better candidate". How come she cant wait 4 yrs and run again?

May 14, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  24. broadstreet buddy

The humble Governor defers to his superior, Bill Clinton. As much as I disagree with Rendell supporting Hillary Clinton, I do think he is the best politician in the country! He is smart and always puts the people of PA first. He can break down the complicated proceedings of goverment as well as he can break down eagles games. He would make an AWESOME VP!

May 14, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. vic nashville,Tn

Last night win was Big win
    Past week all the mainstream media keep on saying Obama is the nominee
    Even though she won West Virginia by 41%
    She won all the counties in West Virginia
    What is that mean race is not over
    Pundit please stop whining (Specially Tim Russert )
    Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08