May 14th, 2008

Rendell: Obama should ask Clinton to be VP

CNN

Watch Gov. Rendell's interview Wednesday.

(CNN)-Governor Ed Rendell's name has recently come up as a potential running mate for Barack Obama, but the Pennsylvania Governor said Wednesday, why settle for a Clinton supporter when you can have the real deal.

Rendell, who has encouraged the New York Senator to 'stay the course,' despite calls for her to end her campaign, said Wednesday she may not win the nomination - but should be on the ticket either way.

"If Senator Obama becomes our nominee and he wants someone to carry the Clinton banner there's no question in my mind he should ask Hillary Clinton," Rendell told CNN's Kyra Phillips.

A major rift remains among Democratic voters as exit polls continually show a large portion of Clinton's supporters will not support Obama if he is the nominee in November, and vice versa. Still, the Pennsylvania governor said he would help Obama in his state as he did Clinton.

"If Hillary Clinton is not the nominee, I know that she cares very much about making change, and she will absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically," said Rendell. "But I believe with all my heart that she is the most experienced and most ready to be president."

1. Kevin

Will this suggestion never go away?? NO ONE wants Clinton as the VP...not even Clinton wants to be VP.

So can we just let it go, because no one is SERIOUSLY considering this as an option? Do these people have no sense? You cannot make the remarks that Hillary has made and then consider yourself a viable option for the VP. This is insane.

May 14, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. Kenneth M

She does not deserve to be his VP. She has been disrespectful in the face of victory. Why would he want her gangster ways in his pure White House? She has Emasuclated Bill C and how she is out for Obama.

May 14, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Elena

Oh my god no way! Hillary is way too powerful and she should not take the backseat to a man who is so inexperienced. Everything she accomplished, Barack will take the credit. No way! I would be so unhappy if she accepted VP position, its humiliating!

May 14, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Jim

To HILLARY SUPPORTER, why She should ask HIM to be HER VP when she is trailling behing in all counts? I know they say she has the uneducated votes, but what about common sense? :-)

May 14, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. Debbie

Hopefully, Hillary will not accept a VP spot if offered. For her it would be like having someone much less qualified promoted ahead of you at work and then being asked to teach them the ropes. To quote that old phrase: "Just say no."

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  6. Jamaal Kansas

Now they want the VP postiion NO NO NO NO we Don't want you Hillary we Want Obama/Richards, Obama/Sebelious, Obama/Mccaskall, Obama/ anybody except Hillary.

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  7. Victoria

NO I DON' T THINK HILLARY DESERVE TO BE ON THE TICKET. SHE BEEN SHAMEFUL SHOWING HER TRUE COLORS AND BEING A BIG SORE LOSER. I DON'T THINK OBAMA HAS TO PICK HER TO WIN.IT WILL BE A BIG MISTAKE SHE CAN'T BE TRUSTED. SHE WILL THROW HIM UNDER THE BUS. DON'T DO IT OBAMA.!

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  8. Rebecca

Hillary and Howard Wolfsan are both quoted in January, February, and March as saying the magic number of delegates is 2025. What are they saying now?

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  9. Sharon, PA

If Hillary Clinton isn't on the Democratic ticket, then I'm voting for McCain.

I cannot believe that the Democrats would be so STUPID to nominate such an inexperienced, under qualified person like Obama.

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  10. zoom

i know clinton is using u guys to ask for a vp slot and indirectly behaving as if shes not interested.

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. Barack/Hillary08

Finally reason will come to the forefront.

Yes it has been a long battle and as an Obama supportor we have to recoginse what Senator Clinton brought to this campagin, She has made Obama a better candidate as she has learnt a lot too.

I hear she does not fit into Obama message of change... goood, what about Obama message of bringing people together. We should be very careful uniting this party. Change does not not mean only new, it also means a foregiveness,working together, reaching out and the DNC will also be happy for it.

Barack/Hillary08

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. joyce

experience is nothing. no one is exp. for the mess bush has left. you tackle it as you go and barack is smart enought to do just that.
    and why would he want her as vp. he is about change not the same old same old. and why would rendell want her to take a spot he may very well have offered to him. does he think he can't handle it?

cnn please post this

May 14, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  13. Linda from PA

I don't think Obama should ask Clinton or Rendell! Neither of them support him or his ideology. I find it highly implausible that Hillary would "absolutely support Senator Obama enthusiastically." More likely she would try to undermine every single move he makes.

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. bitter_in_pa

I think she should be President of West Virginia instead.

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. Tim

O yea, cause that makes sense. Listen, I understand everyone has a preference, but lets be real here people. Obama is going to win. Lets stop with the bull and focus on uniting the party and beating McCain and the GOP in November!

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Who cares what Rendell says and Clinton should tell him to get lost because he is bad baggage.

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. Gary E., Roma, TX

En West Virginia igual como Kentucky, hay milliones de almas, y solamente unas dos docenas de apellidos. Se noto claramente quienes son esas personas de ambos estados cuando votan como votaron! Viva America!

Gary E, de Roma TX

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Hay

Obama should get the nomination and he SHOULD NOT put Hillary on the ticket. She will ruin this country and him. She cannot be trusted!!! How can people not see that? If she gets in the white House in any way she won't be for the people , she'll be for herself. I see her more as a dictator than a president. I'm a senior and I've voted Rep all my life, but I'm not a McCain fan , but I will also not vote for any ticket that includes a Clinton. She scares the hell out of me.

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  19. Tangi

You don't put the snake in the bed with you! Obama wants real change and Hillary does not and cannot offer the change the US need.

OBAMA 2008!!

May 14, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  20. Eva, VA

According to her, Clinton's strength seems to be her "whiteness". I say that strength is a dime a dozen and Obama can virtually close his eyes, grab the next person (Michelle and Pastor Wright excluded ofcourse) and we have that problem resolved. Anyone but Clinton.

Obama 08

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. PLEASE DONT

Obama is about change and is a NEW hope for this time. While Clinton has what it takes to be a great vice president (let alone a great president, period) I do not feel that choosing her would be in-keeping with his current ideals for the direction of this country.

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. Obama Supporter

lol, Hillary supporter. Denial is part of the mourning process so take your time. It’s over :)

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. Go Obama

Nope not gonna happen

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  24. Tres

Right, ask Obama to be VP when she's not the front runner. Let alone she doesn't have the money needed to stay out of debt.

Anyways, I really don't think having the Clintons and the Obamas under one roof would work. It would if it was a sitcom or a reality show. I know that would be more entertaining. But still, I think that having a Clinton supporter as the VP would be better suited than having her in there.

A house divided against itself shall not stand. And it seems that the Democratic household is showing that right now.

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  25. Women for Obama

Ed Rendell would throw his buddy Sen. Clinton under the bus in a Philly heartbeat if he was offered the VP spot. He's personal and political friends with the Clintons, so he's certainly lobbying for at least a spot in the next administration. His tenure as governor is almost over and he's going to need something to do. I'm from PA and like Rendell, but that is the truth.

May 14, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |