May 15th, 2008

Biden calls Bush comments 'bulls**t'

Biden had some strong words for the president.
Biden had some strong words for the president.

(CNN) - The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Joe Biden, D-Delaware, called President Bush’s comments accusing Sen. Barack Obama and other Democrats of wanting to appease terrorists "bulls**t” and said if the president disagrees so strongly with the idea of talking to Iran then he needs to fire his secretaries of State and Defense, both of whom Biden said have pushed to sit down with the Iranians.

“This is bullshit. This is malarkey. This is outrageous. Outrageous for the president of the United States to go to a foreign country, sit in the Knesset…and make this kind of ridiculous statement,” Biden said angrily in a brief interview just off the Senate floor.

“He’s the guy who’s weakened us. He’s the guy that’s increased the number of terrorists in the world. His policies have produced this vulnerability the United States has. His intelligence community pointed that out not me. The NIE has pointed that out and what are you talking about, is he going to fire Condi Rice? Condi Rice has talked about the need to sit down. So his first two appeasers are Rice and Gates. I hope he comes home and does something.”

He quoted Gates saying Wednesday that we “need to figure out a way to develop some leverage and then sit down and talk with them.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
soundoff (1,221 Responses)
  1. tabv

I love you, Mr. Biden. I am pulling for you to get the VP nod! Have been from the beginning but your conviction and outing of this horrific President is just what the country needs.

May 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. jeremy from AZ

Wow.

Go Senator Biden! Tell the world how it is!

May 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. That being said..

Biden,

Why don't you just tell 'em how you really feel !!!!!!!!

Jejejejejejeje!

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Sam

If anyone knows BS, it surely is Joe Biden.

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. AJ

I love it when politicians say what they really think...applause for Joe Biden

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Samuel T. Horton

Politics is a nasty game isnt it? The prez's comments are over the top. Now Bidens reaction is BS. Its all BS.

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I so agree with you Biden...Bush is a moron..

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Colin

Did Senator Biden sneeze?

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  9. Richard (from Puerto Rico)

Go Biden, go get that liar who got us all in this mess. Don't worry much, Baradk Obama, will get us all out of it with grace and prestige.

May 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  10. paying attention

This makes my day. Thank you, Joe Biden! I hope lots of his colleagues follow suit. It's long past time for them to start standing up to this disastrous administration.

May 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Joe Biden should have been our next President!

May 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. Terry

/cheer Sen. Biden

May 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. Chut Pata

Wow! That is awesome fir power. Biden could have shown it during his campaign. Now he should reserve it until after primary when Obama faces McBush.

May 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. jackson from Iowa

go Biden

May 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. Adam from State College, PA

That is awesome. Hats off to Sen. Joe Biden for calling Bush out on his "word vomit" as I like to call it.

May 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  16. Vince

HAHAHA!!!! Way to go Biden!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. HYPOCRACY 08

Appease:
    pacify, conciliate; especially : to buy off (an aggressor) by concessions usually at the sacrifice of principles

I thought Biden might have went to school... Does he know what Appease means?

I thought taking things ouf context was a Republican thing... but I guess this primary has changed all that... from the inside out.

May 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. REAL American for Obama

Way to go, Biden! Maybe you should be Barack's VP! I'd vote for that ticket in a heartbeat.

May 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. Greg

Sen. Biden, I have always admired your courage, your determination, your intelligence.

Today I have something else to admire – your decision to use exactly the appropriate word for President Bush's comments.

No cloaking things in the soft language of diplomacy. Just call it what it is.

My hat is off to you, sir.

May 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  20. Jonathan of Tampa, FL

I think Mr. Biden responded perfectly.

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. James

CNN, please do not sensor Biden's comment. He is saying the truth. It is about time the we say things the way we feel. Bush is a disgrace to the economy and has brought shame to us around the world. We should not pretend about it.

Thanks

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Kevin

That's right!! You tell 'em Biden!

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. James

Thank you Senator Biden. That one blunt word sums up not only the statement to which you were responding, but the entire Bush presidency. Thank God we are about to rid of this bumbling, dangerous oaf.

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. ReMiWa

Thank you Joe Biden for speaking the words that everyone is thinking! If only Pelosi had the guts to do the same!

Obama/Biden '08

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. BlackIce

I agree completely with Mr. Biden.

May 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |