May 15th, 2008

Biden calls Bush comments 'bulls**t'

Biden had some strong words for the president.
Biden had some strong words for the president.

(CNN) - The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Joe Biden, D-Delaware, called President Bush’s comments accusing Sen. Barack Obama and other Democrats of wanting to appease terrorists "bulls**t” and said if the president disagrees so strongly with the idea of talking to Iran then he needs to fire his secretaries of State and Defense, both of whom Biden said have pushed to sit down with the Iranians.

“This is bullshit. This is malarkey. This is outrageous. Outrageous for the president of the United States to go to a foreign country, sit in the Knesset…and make this kind of ridiculous statement,” Biden said angrily in a brief interview just off the Senate floor.

“He’s the guy who’s weakened us. He’s the guy that’s increased the number of terrorists in the world. His policies have produced this vulnerability the United States has. His intelligence community pointed that out not me. The NIE has pointed that out and what are you talking about, is he going to fire Condi Rice? Condi Rice has talked about the need to sit down. So his first two appeasers are Rice and Gates. I hope he comes home and does something.”

He quoted Gates saying Wednesday that we “need to figure out a way to develop some leverage and then sit down and talk with them.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
soundoff (1,221 Responses)
  1. Steven in Oregon

Well put Biden...I have a newfound respect for you

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. Lann Bogie

I am a middle school Civics teacher. I think this comment by Joe Biden is completely inappropriate. Whether or not you agree with everything the president does or says, his position demands respect. A person in Biden's position should be acting more professionally.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Gregory T

I LOVE BIDEN. He is going to be an EXCELLENT Secretary of State for Obama. He has no compunction in speaking the truth.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Chris from NY

Thank you Mr. Biden. I wish I can put it the way you said it. I can't but I am glad someone else can.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. mcmanus

Very well stated. It's about time that folks like Biden stand up and challenge Bush on his asinine statements. He's going to go right to the end of his term reinforcing the fact that he's one of the most incompetent presidents in history.....and he still doesn't realize it nor have the common sense to keep his mouth shut!

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. Jim Fields

Joe Biden has evolved into one of the very few people who speaks his mind and is right on the money. Thanks Senator, we need more like you.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Dobalina

I love you Joe Biden.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. maggie carthy

Way to go, Mr. Biden! We need lots more of your frankness. And, yes, I am afraid for America.

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Politico

This is why I love Joe Biden!

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Mr. Brooklyn

Can we say that Bush is to America what Isiah Thomas was to the Knicks? Way to go, Joe! I think Joe might be the kind of attack dog Obama will need against McCain. Biden or Webb for VP!

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. melikeyhill

THAT RIGHT biden, i RESPECT YOU BIG TIME!!! OBAMA/BIDEN08!!!

May 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. tigerakabj

Thank you Mr. Biden. And if Condi Rice does hear this, she needs to get out while she still can. Too bad such a smart lady is with an idiot.

Bush is trying to get a war started with the Iranians before he leaves office. That's his mission now. January 20th can't come soon enough.

May 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. John

Biden for Secretary of State in the Obama Administration.

May 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Charles Wong

I love Joe Biden. Smart and Honest.

Obama/.Biden 08!

May 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Jamaal Kansas

Biden is right and should be vice President I like Him. Bush and Mcshame need to move to Iraq and have there Unjust war with Iran and there people we don't want another war in this Country.

May 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Becky

Obama – Biden 08,

Live the "Bush" alone.

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Uncle Joe

Love Joseph Biden. He is incredibly intelligent, experience, patriotic,and he got some real balls too!. Go Joe Biden, you are a great American

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. a REAL American

Biden, you liberals have been bashing the president non-stop for all the world to see, and now you guys are so up in arms because it comes back at you? Get over yourself idiot!

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Michael

Go Biden!!

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. mark

About time someone cut through all the BS and said what's on their mind. No more dancing around the subjects. I really wish Biden had done better in the primaries, he would have made an excellent President.

Keep saying it like you see it Joe!

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Bewildered

Biden is the VP that Obama needs.

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  22. taylor richmond virginia

I LOVE BIDEN!!!!

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. Jackie

Joe Biden for VP!

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. tom

The dimocrats have already announced thier surrender plans in Iraq. Iran has thumbed their nose at not only the US, but Europe as well. Where's the leverage come from?

"Diplomacy is the art of saying...nice doggy...while you're looking for a rock"
    Will Rodgers

Biden = Neville Chamberlain.

May 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  25. Jeremy

God, I love Joe Biden! He would make such a great VP for Obama – I hope he's on the short list.

May 15, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |