May 15th, 2008

California ban on same-sex marriage struck down

California's Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the state's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In a much-anticipated ruling issued Thursday, the California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional.

Several gay and lesbian couples, along with the city of San Francisco and gay rights groups, sued to overturn state laws allowing only marriages between a man and a woman.

"There can be no doubt that extending the designation of marriage to same-sex couples, rather than denying it to all couples, is the equal protection remedy that is most consistent with our state's general legislative policy and preference," said the 120-page ruling.

Election Center: Find out where the candidates stand on same-sex marriage

Full story

Filed under: California
  1. marek

good

May 15, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. JM

Sad day for America.

May 15, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Michael in Lorton, Virginia

California...........whatever floats your boat!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  4. James

I so love this ruling.

May 15, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. Jason

It's about time that we recognize ALL people as having equal civil rights under the law.

Good job California!

May 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Dr. Truth, Boston

This is not judicial activism. This is enforcement of the law! Equal protection for all. Bravo California.

Lets face it – gay marriage is a purely invented issue used by right wing fringe to make us feel included as straight people and thereby make us feel better about ourselves. Gay marriage has never produced a problem and never will. It has never turned a staight person gay and never will. This is a fact. Its more a non-issue than an issue.

May 15, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. John

Great news from the left coast. All you "family-values" haters take note...we SHALL overcome!
    On to the Supreme Court and let's win there!!!

May 15, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Tera

As a Californian, I am thrilled with this ruling!

May 15, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Andrew in Long Beach, CA

About time

May 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Petra, Independendent from PA

Great news!!! Finally, the founding father's declaration for ALL is slowing coming to fruition in the gay community. "We hold these truths to be self evident......."

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Lucas, Nashville TN

Woot!

More victories for equality and thinking people.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Stacy Clarks

it only makes sense, they are not any less American, or human

who are we to do God's work, and judge?!?! LEAVE IT TO GOD!!!!!

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL!!!!!

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. twister49 - oklahoma

I'm moving to California................ YES>>>

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. Mike Guinn

Good Job! Civil Rights for ALL Americans!

May 15, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. Ennis, LA

This is not another Roe v. Wade travesty. The people of
    California will decide this once and for all in November.

May 15, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Ron L

I can understand some people having a major problem with this. I have to admit I don't particularily care watching men kiss men or women kiss women. My problem comes from ANYONE trying to convince me that it is normal or an alternative life style. NORMAL by definition is something done by the vast majority. I am not calling it perverted or any other negative term, it is what is, just don't tell me it is normal.
    Also I have no desire to see gay couples on TV to the point that you think 50% of the population is that way when it is closer to 10 to 15%. Other than that I REALLY don't care.

By the way..THE BIGGEST THREAT TO MARRIAGE IS THE 50% DIVORCE RATE. We need to focus on that a heck of a lot more than this.

May 15, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Jazmyn From CA To AZ

God Job Cali...Thats why I love California!!

May 15, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. A Sad Day

This is disgusting...just disgusting! The word of God is quite clear, one man and one woman. I am not judging them that is God's job but this is clearly wrong.

May 15, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. Tiachi

History in the making!!!

May 15, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. DCsilb

Way to go Cali.

May 15, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. HYPOCRACY 08

Why is this news... It's the 9th Circuit is it not? Anthing other than this outcome would have actually been shocking.

May 15, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. FEDUP

I don't approve, but who am I to judge. I just don't like it when they tell me I have to accept it with open arms. Just like I don't like having Obama thrust upon me as my only choice in November? I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot and if that means McCain wins, so be it. McCain will be a better President then Obama.

May 15, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. Sarah

Who Cares ?

May 15, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. Proud1of 26% in WV

Don't worry God will sort them out.

May 15, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. Yolanda

In my humble opinion Holy Matrimony is different than a civil marriage. One is a function of the church and is sacred and the other is a function of the secular state. The state cannot discriminate against its citizens without violating their civil rights. Separation of Church and State forever!! This is my belief and I do not care if I get excommunicated blah blah blah. Good for you California!
    Church Lady in Texas