May 15th, 2008

Clinton campaigns in SD, hits McCain on Farm Bill

BATH, South Dakota (CNN) – Campaigning in rural South Dakota – one of the last two states to hold a primary on June 3 – Hillary Clinton focused on agriculture Thursday, drawing parallels with the work she’s done with upstate New York farms and attacking John McCain for not supporting the bi-partisan Farm Bill passed today.

“The idea of getting to a legislative compromise on something as complex as the Farm Bill is a huge undertaking, but it was finally accomplished,” said Clinton from the porch of a farmhouse. “President Bush says he’ll veto this bill and Sen. McCain said he’d do exactly the same thing as President Bush. You know, they’re like two sides of the same coin, and it doesn’t amount to much change does it?”

This was Clinton’s first appearance on the campaign trail since her overwhelming victory in West Virginia’s primary and John Edwards’ endorsement of Barack Obama. The endorsement combined with the increasing number of superdelegates siding with Obama have only further fueled questions about Clinton’s future in the race.

“I’ve never been impatient with democracy,” Clinton told hundreds of supporters, many of them farmers. “I think actually letting people vote is on balance a really good thing and has served our country well over many, many years. So it’s a privilege to be campaigning in South Dakota,” she said, adding that she and husband President Clinton would be there often between now and the primary date.

As is often the case, Clinton gently jabbed Obama for his health care plan that she says isn’t universal and for his lack of support of her proposed “gas tax holiday.”

“A lot of folks don’t like what I’ve proposed, but tell them to come up with something else,” she said. “If you don’t have an answer to the problem, then keep your peace. Otherwise come up with your own answer.”

An enthusiastic, 35-year-old male supporter, Ryan Reinhardt, offered his services as Vice President, giving a long list of “blue-collar worker” credentials and telling Clinton, “I’ve got more life experience than any man I know and I would love to be your Vice President.”

Caught off-guard and laughing, she replied, “You’d be a lot of fun around the White House, I can tell."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Truth be known

Truth be told- EVERY American knows that HRC is the absolute BEST candidate.

May 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Armando

As a life long Democrat, I will withhold my vote this election. I am an American of Mexican descent, proud to be an American every day. I have father, uncles, brothers, son who have fought and died for our country all over the world. Obama and his wife's comments reflect their true feelings about these United States. Edward's endorsement illustrates his lack of loyalty, like the govenor from New Mexico. If he wins thats fine, if he does not that's fine to! Obama is in some ways very nieve, he will have to make backroom deals to get elected, just like not taking money from lobbyists. He is taking money from the lobbyists wife and family. Of course the Republicans will eploit that and more, just wait and see!

May 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Dennis

Hillary is a sweetheart?!??!?!? I hate this term, but LOL!

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Thankfully she stopped the Obama attacks. However, regardless of who is attacked, the attacker should posess and arsenal of facts to back up the attack. Hillary Clinton typically does not have facts, only sound bites. Modern farm bills are typically rife with pork that benefits, for example, large corporate run farms. Why? lobbyists with lots of $$$ and thus, influence.

Hillary takes $$$ from these folks as do many more of our "representatives."

Watch the $$$ flow.

McCain may have a point on this one.

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. WE NEED THE TRUTH

Those who say they are a DEMOCRAT and will only vote for Hillary is not a true DEMOCRAT, because regardless of who the nominee is that individual will be representing the goals and objectives of the DEMOCRATIC PARTY and they deserve your vote no matter who they are.

Or maybe you're just a republican who says you are a DEMOCRAT!

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. polarity

Obama thrills you when you first listen to him...
    once you see and hear more, you wonder what the heck you ever saw in him.

Hillary is the opposite- she gets better and better

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Katy

I am so disgusted with the Edwards move, that I can't even respond to THIS article. Just a few days ago, he was worshipping Hillary's health plan, and then he endorses Obama the day after Hillary wins West Virginia. What a creep... and what a hypocrite. I have lost all respect for him. I am sick of the democratic party, and I hope they lose. I am supporting the Republicans in November.

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  8. KCD

I like to see that she is attacking McCain and not Obama. Maybe she realizes that her time is done, and though she isn't going to drop out, she will spend her remaining moments not trying to tear Obama apart.

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. White/female/age 55/Texan

I had been a life long republican until the 2006 mid term elections when I realized how the people I had voted for were in the process of destroying the country – but I digress. I have never liked the Clintons, mostly because of the scandals. I dislike Hillary even more after the way she has run her campaign, however, I WOULD VOTE FOR HER if it came down to it, even though I am a strong Obama supporter.

Please all you people who are saying you will write in her name or vote for McCain, PLEASE think about what you are saying. I'm sincerely hoping most of these "write in" posts are republicans trying to scare the bejeebers out of us.

May 15, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. DAN

Hillary is always fighting to make everybodies life better and yet you see all these Obama supporters ugly comments. That's what Obama has done as a leader create hate by using the race card divide and conquer attitude, disenfranchise millions of voter and now the big backlash is comming. Hillary should run for president as an independent, democrats are back stabbers and don't deserve her. Time for real change like a third party with a woman leader. Blue collar workers shouldn't let Obama bamboozie them. Hillary or McCain

May 15, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. true support

True HRC supporters will never unite with the hateful and vulgar Obama supporters that trashed our candidate and ridiculed us.

May 15, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Joanna

Stay in it all the way, Hillary...to the convention floor. That's what conventions are for...it is too close for Senator Obama to claim victory.

May 15, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Tom

To the people who write "to the people who say they'll vote for Hillary or McCain" – If you still have a morsel of conscience and basic human respect left in your brain, read what you just wrote and then think, "If I was a Hillary supporter, what would I think of the person who wrote this and subsequently, their candidate?" Would I want to vote for Obama after listening to the kind of rude, insulting, sarcastic, childish b.s. that I just wrote about Hillary and her supporters?". If you can answer no, congratulations, there are mental health professionals that can still help you. If not..................that's cool too – we still won't support Obama.

May 15, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Please stay

Hillary, please stay on the ballot.

or... run as an independent.

The centrist, populist, moderate majority will reject the extreme choices and vote for you.

May 15, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Brady

That "two sides of the same coin" line may be the best she's had on the trail.
    Oh, and if the Hillary supporters vote for McCain or stay home, as many of you insist you will do, and we get 4 more years of governance that Hillary despises...I think you may regret it just a tad...

May 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. KCD

Also... complaining that people have been bashing Clinton... seriously? You aren't going to say anything about her comments and attacks on Obama? Don't be so ignorant.

May 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Adam - TX

Hillary – the Dems ONLY hope in November.

May 15, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. Joanna

By the way...most of the Obama supporters are nasty and hateful and disrespectful to those of us who don't choose to support another inexperienced candidate. It has always made me wonder why anyone would want to support someone who engenders such hatefullness in people.

May 15, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. What know

Wow she's got a lot of money to flush down the drain. Keep going Billary keep getting more in debt and think the public will bail you out.

May 15, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Obama Supporter, but anybody but McCain 08!

Mama4Obama someone stole your screen name. That is pathetic.

May 15, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. Alan Boyer

Will HIllary reject the racist voters who voter for her?

May 15, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  22. Kim, PA

I'M WRITING IN HILLARY IN NOV.....

i can not tolerate obama & wife....
    i will nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver vote for them.

May 15, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. hrao

I think some Obama supporters think that they can win without Hillary's supporters – they will not – so be careful what you say – many Hillary supporters are voting McCain because of some of you.

May 15, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Will from Gaithersburg

Someone please put Hillary to bed and let's move on to a united fight against John McBush!

Obama 08

May 15, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. Wendy, MD

As time goes on, more and more democrats get tired of Obama and his tactics.

Hillary Clinton just gets better and better.

I love this woman. Fight all the way! Your spirit will encourge America. Not somebody always put hands into pockets, hopeless, but talk hope! Ironic ....

Love you, Hillary!