May 15th, 2008

Clinton campaigns in SD, hits McCain on Farm Bill

BATH, South Dakota (CNN) – Campaigning in rural South Dakota – one of the last two states to hold a primary on June 3 – Hillary Clinton focused on agriculture Thursday, drawing parallels with the work she’s done with upstate New York farms and attacking John McCain for not supporting the bi-partisan Farm Bill passed today.

“The idea of getting to a legislative compromise on something as complex as the Farm Bill is a huge undertaking, but it was finally accomplished,” said Clinton from the porch of a farmhouse. “President Bush says he’ll veto this bill and Sen. McCain said he’d do exactly the same thing as President Bush. You know, they’re like two sides of the same coin, and it doesn’t amount to much change does it?”

This was Clinton’s first appearance on the campaign trail since her overwhelming victory in West Virginia’s primary and John Edwards’ endorsement of Barack Obama. The endorsement combined with the increasing number of superdelegates siding with Obama have only further fueled questions about Clinton’s future in the race.

“I’ve never been impatient with democracy,” Clinton told hundreds of supporters, many of them farmers. “I think actually letting people vote is on balance a really good thing and has served our country well over many, many years. So it’s a privilege to be campaigning in South Dakota,” she said, adding that she and husband President Clinton would be there often between now and the primary date.

As is often the case, Clinton gently jabbed Obama for his health care plan that she says isn’t universal and for his lack of support of her proposed “gas tax holiday.”

“A lot of folks don’t like what I’ve proposed, but tell them to come up with something else,” she said. “If you don’t have an answer to the problem, then keep your peace. Otherwise come up with your own answer.”

An enthusiastic, 35-year-old male supporter, Ryan Reinhardt, offered his services as Vice President, giving a long list of “blue-collar worker” credentials and telling Clinton, “I’ve got more life experience than any man I know and I would love to be your Vice President.”

Caught off-guard and laughing, she replied, “You’d be a lot of fun around the White House, I can tell."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. JAMES

NO-BAMA FOR ME IN O8'

May 15, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  2. Joseph, Los Angeles California

I give up. I can't hang on or read any more these gibbirish blogs. Do you know that writing in a candidates name who is not on the ballot will not solve anything? Do that, and you will find yourselves with 4 more years of George W. Bush, and you will be the first to complain about how awful the economy and country has become and cry-cry-cry over rising gas and food prices and you children will continue to fight and die in Iraq.

This is the 21st Century and time to move forward. Times and situations are not what they used to be, this is not the 1980's anymore. Stop being afraid of change and learn to become something positive.

Also, Obama supporters are not nasty people like Joanna says; You all are, the whole bunch of you, Hillary supporters as well... I've never seen such childish blogging in my life. A party fighting amongest each other; shameful!

Your truly,
    Voting Democratic no matter what

May 15, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. JAMES

BOHEMIAN GROVE SOCIETY SUPPORTS BARRACK OBAMA

May 15, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  4. Yolanda/S.A. Texas

The DNC didn't gamble on Obama...The peole voted for him...Please let's understand that right now...

If maybe more Hillary supporters ran to the polls quick enough, she would be in his shoes....Bad campaign strategy, Bad money management and a husband that has had his opportunity already.

So think about this......With HRC being in the negative 20million, she still has yet to pay her debt off to who??? The american people who worked on her campaign, how do you think she will handle the budget when president?????

GO Obama!

May 15, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Mindy, NC

John and Obama are double loser. John always talked Poverty, how can he spent $400 for a haircut, and several milions for a house, why not give some money to help poors. When his wife's cancer came back, he just ignore and pursue his goal. Really pathetic! Now you came out for VP. Go home! We really don't like both of you!

May 15, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. bernice

OHHH you poor sweeties mad that your crazzzy woman candidate could't beat the newbie gentleman. I bet you all wish you had testitical fortitute huh!! lmao!!!

May 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

Good Hilary,
    that is the guy you are supposed to attack.

May 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. Ryan

If Obama is the nominee then I will vote for McCain in 2008 so that I can vote for Hillary in 2012.

I do remember how they treated Hillary throughout this whole process. I'm sure now they'll start saying nicer things, but actions speak louder then words. Everyone who buys into empty rhetoric is already supporting Obama.

Hillary or McCain in 2008!

May 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!

SHE LEADS IN THE POPULAR VOTE!!!

SHE LEADS IN PLEDGED DELEGATES!!!

SHE LEADS IN SUPERDELEGATES!!!

SHE'S WON ALL THE IMPORTANT STATES - WEST VIRGINIA, RHODE ISLAND, ARKANSAS!!!

SHE ALMOST WON GUAM - ONLY 7 VOTES!!!

SHE'LL WIN IN PUERTO RICO!!! MILLIONS OF VOTERS THERE!!! WHOEVER WINS PUERTO RICO IN NOVEMBER WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!

AND THAT WILL BE ... HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON!!!

YES SHE CAN!!!!

May 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. Jaci

I don't understand WHY Hillary supporters can't support Obama.
    Are they really racist?
    And I can't understand what his supporter being rude in this forum has to do with voting for him.

I have been treated rudely by Clinton supporters.
    I was told I was only supporting him because he's black; how I don't know the issues; how I was "stupid" and the like.
    Did you say this to me? Did Hillary say this to me?

I am a registered Independent and I can not for the life of me understand, why Women would vote for or help elect a person who plans to overturn Roe v. Wade, Affirmative Action, Civil Unions, and all those "democrat supported issue" because your candidate was not the candidate of choice. It's nonesense!

May 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. Eric

Ron......I just told someone the other the day the same thing. That "WHEN" Obama does lose, (and he will) his followers are going to blame Hillary for his loss.

HILLARY is the only real hope we Dems have at a chance of re-taking the White House. She has the tenacity and the experience for the position. Obama is nothing but talk and he's the biggest flip flopper around. Now he's wearing the flag pin after saying it didn't represent patriotism...OBAMA IS NOT READY!

HILLARY 08!!

signed,

An African American for Hillary!

May 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. California Girl

Go Hillary! We will all unite for Hillary in the end no matter what the outcome! We will write her name on the ballot! You better believe it!

Hillary 08

May 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Darth Vadik, CA

Did anybody watch Boston Legal last night when Danny Crane's plan for defeating Obama was to photoshop a wig on him and say that he was really Whitney Houston.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Obama '08

May 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. GL

And you wonder why milk costs more than gas. Stop lining the pockets of corporate farms.

May 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Lilarose

Go Hillary!

FINISH THE JOB! We in Oregon finally had a chance to vote, now the remaining states should have the privilege.

I switched from Dem to Independent this week, right after my Oregon ballot was mailed.

I will be writing in Hillary Clinton on the November ballot!

May 15, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  16. mary, Dallas, Tx

A comment was made about following the youth who have never voted before, maybe we should. They couldn't do any worse than the people who have voted in the last two elections.

Maybe new thoughts and ideas are needed because some of you are stuck on stupid.

May 15, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. Fredi

Some of the "alledged" Hillary fans sound more and more like members of a cult – many seem to see Hillary as the only true savior – "give me Hillary, or give me death." I can only hope Hillary will have some influence on her supporters if / when she does not get the nomination. But then, maybe some of these crazy statements are just from Republicans pretending to be Hillary supporters.

May 15, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. MD Houston

The Farm Bill was a disaster to the American consumer and responsible to a large degree for the inflation in food staples we now face. Thanks congress, another compromise like that and we can all apply for food stamps.

May 15, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. Dennis

Clinton supporters that are talking about writing in Clinton amaze me. Just a couple of months ago, they were calling Obama supporters a cult. Now, it looks like the have a cult like following for Senator Clinton. She ran a good campaign. She has said she'll campaign for the nominee, no matter who it is. She has said that to vote for McCain over Obama is a mistake, and the her and Obama's policies are far more similar than hers and McCain's. And yet, so many Clinton supporters are going down the "Clinton or bust route" or stating they will vote for McCain. Amazing. And these same supporters accused Obama's supporters of being brainwashed.

Do you think these threats will get Obama supporters to drop their support for Senator Obama and suddenly flock to Senator Clinton? Honestly? Do you think Clinton would fare so much better in the November election? I don't.

It is time for supporters on both sides to come together and work towards getting a Democrat in the White House. The divisiveness needs to stop.

May 15, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. WIll

Hillary, we appreciate you. Just keep remembering your/our true foe, the policies of George Bush and his continuation embodied by John McCain, whom I used to respect. Remind your supporters that we need party unity and although the democratic nominee might not have been their first choice, he will be the best choice for America come November. Thank you for all that you did in this campaign.

May 15, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. gary

CLINTON DOES NOT OWE OBAMA ANYTHING. SHE HAS BEEN TRASHED FROM HIS SUPPORTERS AND MEDIA THROUGH THIS WHOLE RACE. OBAMA HAS GOT A FREE RIDE BECAUSE HE PLAYS THE RACE CARD AND THE MOST OF THE COUNTRY IS BIAS AGAINST A WOMAN PRESIDENT. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY DESERVE.

May 15, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  22. Susan, TX

I am seriously getting ticked off. Knock it off, people! GROW UP....Unite and kick the republicans out of office.

May 15, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. Nicole in NE

haha – "doesn't amount to much change! "

That is hilarious and soooo true!

VOTE DEMOCRAT!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Viet Nam Vet

Now that's the Hillary I expected! I started out for John Edwards, when he dropped out I went for Hillary, then she went negative so I'm voting for Obama unless a miracle happens then I vote for Hillary. Anyway you cut it I'm Voting Dem.

May 15, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Mike from Westchester

Sounds like we don't have pro-Hillary people posting here, but anti-Obama people. Republicans? Childish Democrats? Or those who have a particular issue with Obama?

Even Hillary has said that her supporters would be foolish not to vote for Obama in November. Her true supporters will follow her lead and do what is best for the party.

Unethical Republican trolls trying to cause a rift in the Democratic party, can go to _ _ _ _!

May 15, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |