May 15th, 2008

Clinton campaigns in SD, hits McCain on Farm Bill

BATH, South Dakota (CNN) – Campaigning in rural South Dakota – one of the last two states to hold a primary on June 3 – Hillary Clinton focused on agriculture Thursday, drawing parallels with the work she’s done with upstate New York farms and attacking John McCain for not supporting the bi-partisan Farm Bill passed today.

“The idea of getting to a legislative compromise on something as complex as the Farm Bill is a huge undertaking, but it was finally accomplished,” said Clinton from the porch of a farmhouse. “President Bush says he’ll veto this bill and Sen. McCain said he’d do exactly the same thing as President Bush. You know, they’re like two sides of the same coin, and it doesn’t amount to much change does it?”

This was Clinton’s first appearance on the campaign trail since her overwhelming victory in West Virginia’s primary and John Edwards’ endorsement of Barack Obama. The endorsement combined with the increasing number of superdelegates siding with Obama have only further fueled questions about Clinton’s future in the race.

“I’ve never been impatient with democracy,” Clinton told hundreds of supporters, many of them farmers. “I think actually letting people vote is on balance a really good thing and has served our country well over many, many years. So it’s a privilege to be campaigning in South Dakota,” she said, adding that she and husband President Clinton would be there often between now and the primary date.

As is often the case, Clinton gently jabbed Obama for his health care plan that she says isn’t universal and for his lack of support of her proposed “gas tax holiday.”

“A lot of folks don’t like what I’ve proposed, but tell them to come up with something else,” she said. “If you don’t have an answer to the problem, then keep your peace. Otherwise come up with your own answer.”

An enthusiastic, 35-year-old male supporter, Ryan Reinhardt, offered his services as Vice President, giving a long list of “blue-collar worker” credentials and telling Clinton, “I’ve got more life experience than any man I know and I would love to be your Vice President.”

Caught off-guard and laughing, she replied, “You’d be a lot of fun around the White House, I can tell."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. for the good of the democratic party

If you are a democratic voting republican in the fall, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is a democratic year and democrats are siding with the american people on all the issues. If you are going against them, you are a traitor.

all the people who are voting for mccain are the usually the poor white people most affected by the bush policies. if you guys want to jump off a cliff, go right ahead. in the end, you guys will lose your homes and jobs if you vote mccain. mark my words, we will be in a 3rd war (iran) and gas will be $6.00 by next summer.

May 15, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

fred,

Why would you ever vote for McCain, haven't we had enough. I'm for Obama, but I would vote for Hillary. You have a chance to put YOUR country on the correct path, but you wont do that because your first candidate didn't win. Are you really that shallow? Because your upset? It is shamefull. People have died for that vote you are going to make, and to use it in spite is shamefull. Very shamefull.

May 15, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. Terrence (Winston Salem,NC)

I gotta give it to her.... even though her campaign is done, she still is tenacious. Too bad she reinvented herself during this campaign with her Republican tactics. I used to like her. She has strength but she cares nothing about unity, it seems. She just want to "fight". hmmm, sounds a lot like "you know who".

OBAMA 08

May 15, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  4. Alex

Im amazed that there are still republicans running around that still publically support bush. How dumb, audacious and blind can you people be? Although he was elected for a second term so I guess there’s no shortage of inbred, backwoods retards in this country.

May 15, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Sick and Tired

The majority of people who are blogging about how they would vote McCain before they would vote Obama are either:

A) Republicans trying to keep the pot stirred up.

B) People who call themselves democrats but are closet republicans.

C) People willing to sacrifice the lives of american troops just to make a political point.

D)All of the above.

If we don't unite behind the democratic nominee, then we are personally responsible for the deaths of more troops in a war we should have never been duped into.

May 15, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. sharon

I WILL BE WRITING IN HILLARY CLINTON ON THE BALLOT.....

May 15, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Sue

OBAMA OR MCCAIN !!

NEVER CLINTON !

May 15, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Butch McGatto

Would someone please tell Hillary that the show is over? Get off the stage. The curtain has already come down and the audience is leaving the theater.

May 15, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. KE

Hillary 2008!

We are in the red zone now. Twenty more yards to go.
    Let's take Hillary all the way to the White house,

We are looking for a ripple effect.

Hillary 2008!

May 15, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. Alex

If there’s any question in anybody’s mind, Obama with take the election in 08. Theres absolutely nothing that can stop him and Im so happy for that. We've fallen so very far in the past 8 yrs. Hillary would have stopped that freefall but only Obama has a chance to actually turn it around and allow America to achieve the height it once possessed.

May 15, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. Pat in Cali

Good for Hillary.

Obama '08

May 15, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. Venus

Come on people! Can we stick with a subject!

Thanks Hillary! Go Obama!

May 15, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. AtlantaVoter

My vote will be for Hillary Clinton; I will write on the ballot if I have to!

She is by far the best choice we have for President. We are throwing this one away! I am afraid we will look back on this primary and wonder why we missed such an opportunity.

May 15, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. Gobama!

True Democrats, real people who care about this country will unite and vote for Obama. If some of the pseudo-Dems/undercover Repubs want to continue to post all of their hateful rhetoric, let them. It's a free country... In the mean time, the rest of us will go about rebuilding what we lost with our next President of the United States, Barack Obama.

Oh, and if by chance you hateful people actually succeed at electing McCain, when you get ready to complain about how horrible things have gotten, be sure to look in the mirror for the cause of it..

May 15, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Gary for HILL Forever

HILLARY has the plan to take over this nomination! She is the better candidate, she will let the superdelegates realize that voting for a weaker candidate will not do the DNC a good run for this November election!

The Presidency is not an internship job, it is rigorous & for smart & experienced only!

May 15, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Joseph, Los Angeles California

I think there are a lot of Republicans on this blog. No Democrat in their right mind would write in a candidate that is not on the ballot. Don't be fooled my Democratic friends.

May 15, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Freida NYC

Hillary is my # 1 and only choice.

Americans, please wake up! Obama will sink us further. Hillary can still win the Dem nomination, if we unite and write to the DNC the many reasons why we strongly believe she is the most electable, and qualified candidate to lead this country.

Hillary 2008/2012

May 15, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  18. Ann

What is best for the Dem party is Hillary for President and maybe Obama for Vice President. Make no mistake about it...if she doesn't get the nomination, McCain will be elected. Obama is not Presidental material.

May 15, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  19. Griff

Was Borack Obama born on American Soil?? If Yes. When????
    He is an Alien.......

May 15, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. janis

Hillary is showing how strong and determined she can be and I believe that is what we need for a president. We certainly don't need an arrogant man with a wife that has a chip on her shoulder.
    PLEASE DONATE to Hillary!

May 15, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Greg F.

GO HILLARY...Don't let the party elite take away our vote!!! We matter.

May 15, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. A CANUCK

Last night in a speech Hillary said A kid in Kentucky sold his bike and video games and gave her campaign the money..........this is one time I hope that she is a lying jerk !!!!!!!!!!! She is a millionaire and the kid is walking to school !!!! and she's bragging about this !!!!

May 15, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. Beth in PA

I hope Hillary stays in the race to the end for her supporters. I want her to end with her head held high.

I realize that she has no chance at this point, but I want to be able to say to my daughter that there are 16 million people out there who believe that she can be anything she wants to be.

I feel bad for MICHELLE. She's also a strong woman with opinions. I see the Republicans sharpening their knives like in the 90's. She'll be feeling Hillary's pain too.

In my pipe dreams I imagine an Obama-Clinton family retreat in the woods after the primaries are over... All the bitterness disappearing over hot cups of tea in some little chalet... Hillary commisserating with Michelle and giving her advice about how to protect her daughters from all the craziness of the presidency.

May 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Obama has won

Dems, Obama has won the delegates, the popular vote, he's ahead in the polls, he knows how to raise money without kow-towing to special interests, has has the right positions on issues, he's never cravenly caved in to Republican pressure to support the war in Iraq.

It's over. Obama beat Hillary because he was more aligned with the majority of Democrats. "Blue-collar" racists are not the majority anymore.

May 15, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. moondancer

Now that the contest is over Sen Clinton certainly seems to have found her stride. I hope she is as "hard working" bringing in a victory for Obama.

May 15, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |