May 15th, 2008

Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee Republicans

Tennessee Republicans took aim at Michelle Obama Thursday.
Tennessee Republicans took aim at Michelle Obama Thursday.

(CNN) – In a preview of the potential political onslaught Michelle Obama may face in the fall, the Tennessee Republican Party unveiled a new Web video Thursday that highlights her controversial comment earlier this year saying she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life."

The four-minute video coincides with Mrs. Obama's visit to the state for a Democratic Party event later Thursday. It features several Tennesseans saying why they are proud of America while repeatedly cutting to Mrs. Obama's comments.

"The Tennessee Republican Party has always been proud of America. To further honor the occasion of Mrs. Obama’s visit, the Tennessee Republican Party has requested the playing of patriotic music by radio stations across the state," said a statement on the party's Web site that accompanied the video.

"While Mrs. Obama has trouble being proud of the country where she earned degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and then became a multi-millionaire, her husband makes statements that belittle average Americans’ response to the difficulties of life."

The Obama campaign called the attack "shameful."

"This is a shameful attempt to attack a woman who has repeatedly said she wouldn't be here without the opportunities and blessings of this nation," said Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan. "The Republican Party's pathetic attempts to use the same smear tactics to win elections have failed in Mississippi, failed in Louisiana, and will fail in November because the American people are looking for a positive vision of real change.

Full story

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. zina

Mrs. Obama is not running for office. The didn't even treat HRC this badly when she was first lady. I wonder why Michelle is receiving this treatment. What makes her DIFFERENT from other potential first ladies...hmmmm....

Will people bring up Cindy McCain's drug history?

May 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Deb

The Republicans do not have a strong enough candidate therefore must stoop to these levels.

May 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Tom

This is the first time in my life I seen so many people care about the political process. Its why we are seeing record turn out. Its a good thing unless your a Republican and want to keep turn out as low as possible.

Talk about the Republicans taking her comments out of context.

May 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. wd in calgary

Awesome – this pattern by the Reps is certain to turn away their support in droves... let 'em keep at it, they are so far behind, they think they're first!

May 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Steven

How low can the republican party go! Everyone has been guilty of saying things about America or implying the wrong motives during a conversation. True Americans have the right to talk about there own country. Just like family members can talk about there own family members. Being a hillbilly I get pissed off when people make fun of mountain folks. Come on, I love America, but still there are times I am not proud of my country. This does'nt make me any less of a American.

Steven,

Kentucky

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. PT

What idiots!

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. oh please

Is this all the Republicans can come up with??? What a disgrace.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Shasta

I can say the same thing, Michelle...but I am only 20 so my adult life has been two years.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. AIB

We are tired of this type of politics. It is so sad that the Republican Party cannnot compete in the arena of ideas. Instead, their only tools to negative and personal destruction. It will not work. Pleople are ired of this. They will lose the Congress and the presidency this year.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Stacy Clarks

WELL GUESS WHAT GOP, IN ILLINOIS, SOUTH CAROLINA AND MISSISSIPPI, THESE TACTICS DID NOT WORK!!

What did you get in return? THE OUSTER OF THE GOP, AND THE SEATING OF DEMOCRATS IN SOLIDLY RED REGIONS

LET'S GO DEMOCRTATS, TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. CW in DC

Let the games (rehashing) begin...

Is the really the best the Republicans can do?!?!

Nah... we don't want to hear anything thing about issues that really matter do we folks?

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. PT

She never meant it that way.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Independent for Obama

Barf. They are requesting that patriotic music be played? My goodness, talk about stooping to some ridiculous lows.

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. No More Bush!

Of course this happened...is this because Republicans can't lift themselves up so they have to put others down?

I know there are definite times that I am not proud of this country and that's the government's fault, not the people – in fact, for the last 8 years, I blame my lack of American pride on a REPUBLICAN's policies and destruction of our country

May 15, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Franky

I don't know but going after the wife???? You better make sure you know what you're doing because last time I checked, Senator McCain's wife repeated those words herself.......that's all I'm saying.

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. dani

The republicans have not learned that this tactic will not work.
    It didn't help hillary win,and it won't help them.
    This is more proof the republicans are repugnant and why they are so hated.They have no clue as to what's important to the American people.
    And cnn,I can see you are going to help them out by printing every negative thing they say.Funny how you didn't report on Cindy McCain's chairing a company with ties to the Sudan(Darfur).

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. christine

so what she proud of her husband anybody would be proud of there husbands if they were running for president, you see this is the problem with republicans instead of talking about the issues that matters in america most they are making big news about what michille said american people are tired of that kind of negative politics this is why we have bush in that office if only american people would have voted for algore or john kerry we wouldnt be in this mess we are in, we need to stop listening to such kind of politics

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Oracle99

I don't see anything wrong with her comments but ultraconservatives and NeoCons do. After some of the comments W made today echoing some of his past statements, lots of Americans have been ashamed of this country and it's policies.

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. Chris

These kind of attacks will not work this time around. Its time for real change!!

May 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. S. Rice

TN Republicans – As a southern woman, you amaze and disturb me. Don't we in the south get enough of a bad reputation for our supposed stupidity. Your twisting of her words only proves the point that critical thinking may not be your strong point. I'm glad that isn't true for all of us.

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. gsusgrl

Is Michelle Obama running for political office?

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Tommy

She said: "really proud of my country." That doesn't mean she wasn't proud of it before it just means she is really proud of it now. This is a non-issue and only idiots make a big deal out of it. Go empty your spitoons, buffoons!

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. Republican for Obama

And yet again the "with us or against us" mentality that will soon have me changing my political affiliation. If you take 2 minutes to read the entire paragraph from her speech it is easy to see this is taken out of context. I am also ashamed of America when it comes to voting. There are countries in this world where people risk their lives to vote and yet we have the right and can barely muster 20% participation. Most Americans, sadly, just can't be bothered. Get informed and don't let this election be highlighted by distorted sound bites.

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. As the Clinton's Turn.....

"for the first time in my adult life, I am "REALLY" proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

Used another way:

Yesterday I was happy to go to work because I am bless to have a job, but today I am REALLY happy to go to work because it's payday.

Translation: My degree of happiness has been elevated due to being paid.

It amazes me how everyone seems to drop the word 'REALLY' when talking about her comment.

A person can be more "proud or happy" on different occasions....or am I missing something?

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. sandra from TN

i live in TN and i did not know that people were so ignorant here.
    well then i guess its a good thing that im going to dedicate my summer campaigning for OBAMA .... i feel the need to educate my state. :) i spoke to a lady the other day and she said that she was not going to vote for Obama because he was muslim.... ha ha .. i started laughing on the inside.. and told her and showed her that he was a christian and was born in the united states. so i am proud to say that i sonvinced a 63 year old white woman to vote for obama on the issues which he stood– not on barbaric republican scare tactics :P YAY!

May 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |