May 15th, 2008

Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee Republicans

Tennessee Republicans took aim at Michelle Obama Thursday.
Tennessee Republicans took aim at Michelle Obama Thursday.

(CNN) – In a preview of the potential political onslaught Michelle Obama may face in the fall, the Tennessee Republican Party unveiled a new Web video Thursday that highlights her controversial comment earlier this year saying she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life."

The four-minute video coincides with Mrs. Obama's visit to the state for a Democratic Party event later Thursday. It features several Tennesseans saying why they are proud of America while repeatedly cutting to Mrs. Obama's comments.

"The Tennessee Republican Party has always been proud of America. To further honor the occasion of Mrs. Obama’s visit, the Tennessee Republican Party has requested the playing of patriotic music by radio stations across the state," said a statement on the party's Web site that accompanied the video.

"While Mrs. Obama has trouble being proud of the country where she earned degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and then became a multi-millionaire, her husband makes statements that belittle average Americans’ response to the difficulties of life."

The Obama campaign called the attack "shameful."

"This is a shameful attempt to attack a woman who has repeatedly said she wouldn't be here without the opportunities and blessings of this nation," said Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan. "The Republican Party's pathetic attempts to use the same smear tactics to win elections have failed in Mississippi, failed in Louisiana, and will fail in November because the American people are looking for a positive vision of real change.

Full story

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. A. Harrison in Georgia

Let the games begin!

LMAO!

May 15, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. yns

I also think the question should be asked as to why her doctoral dissertation is not available until AFTER the election in November. What is being hidden? What are the Obama's afraid of?

May 15, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Chut Pata

Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan later said of the statement, "The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics."

Yet they catch some very excited words of Mrs. Obama. A party full of flip flops.

May 15, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Louis

Dear Republican morons: Read her comment again–"for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country..." If you studied English, the word "really" implies emphasis–Michelle Obama has been proud of her country, but even more at this time in history. Your other choice for first lady is Cindy McCain who inherited millions from her daddy's beer distributorship and who once stole drugs because she was addicted. (It's true–you can look it up)

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Sue

Old politics....taking things out of context again....and the republicans wonder why they are losing all those seats....

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Jake

I'm proud of my country, but I would be REALLY proud if the people here had enough sense to get rid of the republicans and get this country back to the way it was when Bill Clinton was in office. I'm Sure Barack will get the job done.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. StormBlitzer

Michelle Obama says that she is not proud of her country. I volunteer to provide her transportation out of the U.S., free of charge, to a nation where she can truly be proud of, like Myanmar.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. CHICANO ART, ARIZONA

I do not want Michelle Obama to be the first lady. She is not patriotic and I think she is not a good representation of what this country stands for. I hope republicans focus heavily on her. She is not half white as Obama is and is open to more critizicm because the press does not love her the same way they love Barrack. Or should I say Barry.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

Congratulations to the RNC for showing me again why I changed parties. Proud to be a democrat.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. green, pa

Oh this is ridiculous! Seriously I mean can the republicans stoop any lower! This is a very childish move. And hell who really can say they have been proud of this country over the past 8 years. I know I can't.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  11. Andre

I guess it's time to start talking about McCain's wife.....That drunk!

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. madeleine

I have heard Michelle Obama speak. She is not only a very intelligent woman. She also rings very true.
    Whatever attacks the republicans have in store for her, I hope that she can ignore them as they are probably not worth her time.
    I am convinced that Obama will be our next president and I have to say that I will then be proud to live in this beautiful country once again.
    And for the first time in my adult life, I will look forward to being involved.
    And for the first time in my adult life, I will not mind paying taxes, knowing that they are used for good things.

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. SUNSHINE

the least bit disturbing to me. The Tennessee Republican Party is making her out to be unpatriotic but if the would take off their blinders they proabably wouldnt be too happy with the current state of America. Its okay to not be proud of your country at times.. Be yourself Michelle.

OBAMA .. YES WE CAN

May 15, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. say what?

The republicans haven't heard the speech that tells them Obama is God and beyond criticism or attack.

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. deetee

Keep those videos coming, GOP. I see how helpful they've been to you so far in winning special elections.

P.S. Some free PR advice - Get a clue. I think most right-thinking Americans are done with the hate and small-minded politics of the past.

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. Didi

Mishelle, get lost thogether with your husband and mostly with your Pastor!
    I can send you a ticket to Africa, free!

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Peggy Munro

It is 2008. People are smart and informed and capable of making good judgements so one needs to come up with something more original and intelllgent. At this rate the Republicans are guaranteed to lose the election.

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Ezana

Sorry Republicans, but you need more than that to stop "CHANGE"to point out gaffs is not a plan no one has time to the old school attacks some one in your camp should be smart enough to notice the recent vote in Louisiana and Mississippi

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. just words

Don't worry- its just words.

Obama can deliver a REALLY good speech and fix it.

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. yvonne

Not an issue. People live here all their lives because they don't have a choice, or they can't afford to leave when you are in a position like what we have been put in for the last 8 years. When all the jobs went overseas, if i could have afforded it I would have went too. America is supposed to be the riches country in the world, To look at thing right now, you would not think so

May 15, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. Jacob Ezekial

Michelle Obama is a Disgrace!

May 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. faye, NV

As an adult this race, Obama/Hillary has placed excitement and more voter, viewer and the belief that we can make a different. Therefore, I truly understand what is meant by, "for the first time in your adult life you could feel proud."

I feel blessed to witness such a history making time in my life. The REPS or DEMS can try and turn this any way they like. One thing is for sure, I forgot what it felt like to believe in this country or to believe strong heartly that one person can make a different. Being strong willed and straightforward is my personally, but I did not realize that the dream had die inside me. When I heard the words repeatly "yes we can", this became a part of me.

May 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Good.
    It's about time the rooster came home to roost.
    Clearly...she was in a coma...when we reached the moon, created the civil rights amendment, and the current national labor laws, as well as, the Space Shuttle, eradication of small pox...and still the U.S. is the largest international donor of all for defeating poverty, hunger, aids, malaria, and a host of other troubles worldwide.

Thanks Michelle...we (Americans) who worked so hard to make those gains for the country...appreciate your respect and thanks.

Go home!!! You do not deserve and have not earned the job of first-lady. !!

May 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. Chris

Don't they have any policy issue to run on instead of digging and miscontrueing someone's comment?

It won't work this time. Americans are wiser. Bring up all the sentiments you wish to bring up; we are sticking to the issues.

Period!

May 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Danny in Pittsburgh

More of the same "straw man" Politics...in the context of Mrs. Obama's entire speech, it is obvious she is speaking of being proud of the groundswell of NEW NATIONAL INTEREST in politics-something that HAS NOT HAPPENED IN THIS COUNTRY IN HER ADULT LIFE.

She, like many of us, is proud that so many new faces (and old faces like mine) have been invigorated by the possibility of being lead by a person of dignity and intellectual weight...rather than by a puppet of politics, punditry and populist lies.

The future has a new face because hope is possibility. Get used to the idea–we don't have to SETTLE for a President anymore if we don't want to.

May 15, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |