May 15th, 2008

Steelworkers union backs Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Pittsburgh-based Steelworkers union is endorsing Barack Obama for president - giving the White House hopeful a big potential boost in his bid to attract blue-collar support.

The 600,000-member strong union had previously backed former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who endorsed Obama Wednesday.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Terri

This is just my opinion, I think this is the most exciting primary in years. Speaking as a voter in a state that used to have a late primary I can say it is extremely frustrating when the nomination has already been determined before I even had a chance to vote. I believe this is the reason for such high turn out is not the excitement of one candidate but the excitement that their state matters their vote will count. The democrat party will come together in the end. It is the independent votes they need to worry about

With that said the democrat party needs to serious look at how the delegates are divided in the future. If they had the same winner take all system as the republicans Clinton would be up by almost 400.

Either way I think I am leaning for McCain because we created a mess in Iraq and no matter how much I disagree with what happen over there I believe we need to stay and clean up the mess we made

May 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Dr. J

Obama will be the Next President of the United States.

May 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. Lisa

Compare. McCain vaguely suggest Iraq withdrawal after his "first term" in 2013....hmmmm...sound familiar?

May 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. Chris from NY

Thank you so much. This is music to my ears. I wish I can thank you all in person but I can't. For what you did I am proud to be an American.

May 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Russell B,

I bet you those members of that union, you know the ones with proper vacation time, insuraqnce benefits, medical day off would dispute your claim that the union is a mob, but Reagan fooled all of you dumb people into believing that trickle down economics is the way to go, not the unions...

EXCEPT THE RICH DON'T LIKE TO SHARE.

May 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. Danny

Consider this about the states that Obama won with high percentages.

* Virgin Islands (89.9%)
    * Idaho (79%) –
    * Hawaii (76%) –
    * Alaska (75%)
    * District of Columbia (75%)
    * Kansas (74%)
    * Washington (68%)
    * Nebraska (68%)
    * Minnesota (67%)
    * Colorado (67%)
    * Georgia (67%)
    * Illinois (65%)
    * Virginia (64%)
    * Maryland (62%)
    * North Dakota (61%)
    * Wyoming (61%)
    * Mississippi (61%)

Many of these states have large black populations, mid-western relations with Illinois and/or affluent/starbucks drinking Democrats. We cannot win the in November with only these voters and keep in mind these voters will vote Democrat whether its Obama or Clinton, it is the other voters we need to be worried about.

May 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. bob in L.A.

I have all but conceded the race to Senator Obama. But I do laugh at the stock taken by endorsements for any candidate by an individual having that big an impact on American voters. I hope that we all have our own voice.
    But let's say I'm wrong for a moment- Sen. Obama has received the endorsement of Gov. Richardson- losing candidate for president, Sen Edwards- two time losing cnadidate for president, Sen. Kennedy- losing candidate, Sen. Kerry- losing candidate, Sen Dodd- losing canddidate, Sen Bradley- losing candidate- should I continue? When Carter comes out officially for Obama he will at least have one winner in his corner – a man trounced in his re-election.
    Maybe Hillary should throw one final coal on the fire-
    "Obama- endorsed by more losers than me!"

May 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. People

No matter how many endorsements he can get, we, the Clinton supporters will choose McCain over Obama! Period! Don’t you dare say 17 millions of American people who voted for Sen. Clinton are the dumbest because they don’t agree with you media and pundits!

May 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. April in Texas

Woot!!! Yay and we welcome you all! I myself and husband are hard working white blue collar workers so Obama does have support there much to the dismay of the polls/stats... Also I only hold a GED so your polling needs work as they dont seem true.. Again welcome and glad to have you aboard..

Obama 08/09

May 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Brandon

Nice Shot Obama! I apologize but those who are strongly suggesting that they would vote McCain if Hillary isn't the nominee for 1) Comes off seeming Very....racist. 2) And you're a democrat.. democrats back democrats, but I guess its the world we live in.. Unity 08'

May 15, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. Joe - Wilmington, DE

OK Hillary, now you need to step down. You are not more electable than Obama. Face it, you've lost and we would like to get away from the old, inefficient, nasty ways of American politics of which you and your ilk had a hand in creating.

Write in for Hillary? Get a grip on yourself and move on.

May 15, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Zoey

It seems everything is falling in place for Obama. I knew the Steelworkers would follow right after Edward's endorsement. I think this is going to be a great year for all Democrats

May 15, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. WOW - Cedar Hill, TX

This is so Awesome!!!!! I am so proud to be a part of this historic event.

God is Good!!!!!!

May 15, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Helena

Thank you to John Edwards and the United Steelworkers! You have endorsed a man of integrity & decency! God Bless You All!

May 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. Voter from CT

Mr. Obama is a great genuine and respectful, humble person. Thank you so much to those who have endorsed him! He listens to the people, and he will try his best! He's not a part of the same old politics, he will work hard for us, he took no money from special interests and lobbiests, he owe's them nothing!

May 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. Peg

Listen ladies for Hillary, Rov vs Wade is more important that electing Hillary Clinton. Wake up. John McCain is not pro-choice. I personally do not want my daughter to have to live in a world without choices. And you shouldn't either.

May 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. xtina

When a large union endorses a candidate it doesn't reflect the individual votes of the members. I belong to such a union and we were not consulted before the union made their endorsement. The announcement just came down from the ivory tower in which the union bosses live. Their endorsement is based on who will be most likely to punish large companies (the idea being that union members benefit from this).

May 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. Hopeful

One another note, Barack has came up in the world, nationally standing at 49%

May 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Peggy

Democrates Unite!!!!

May 15, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. of course unions support obama

when you work less and get payed more, of course you want the lazy candidate and the one that will ensure your laziness continues

May 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  21. josefene lovely

I love Hilliary but she made a big mistake that is underestimating Obama

May 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. Trish

John Edwards is a joke! He even admitted as late as Monday he wasn't prepared to endorse anyone and now he backs Obama because he's worried that Hillary's landslide victory in W. Virginia could cause a divide. He endorsed Obama for his own political gain. I smell set up. I'm disgusted with the DNC right now.

Hillary has devoted her entire life to public service and I for one respect her and support her.

May 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |