May 16th, 2008

Edwards flatly rules out running with Obama

An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'
An Obama-Edwards ticket 'wont' happen.'

(CNN) - Seeing John Edwards and Barack Obama on the same stage earlier this week left political pundits buzzing: Could these two be an unbeatable presidential ticket?

They appeared to have natural chemistry - something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 - and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama - working class white voters.

But Edwards flatly said Friday, as he had before he endorsed a candidate, that he's not interested in making a second run for vice president.

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen.…It's just not something I am interested in."

As for another position in an Obama administration, specifically Attorney General, Edwards was decidedly more coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we’ll worry about those things."

Edwards formally endorsed Obama Wednesday evening, the day after Clinton scored a 41 point victory over the Illinois senator in West Virginia. Edwards also said Friday the timing of his announcement was not specifically designed by the Obama campaign to direct the media coverage away from the New York senator's win.

"That's not true," he said. "I know it's not true because I am the one who made the decision about when to do this. I believe this was the right time to do it. I made a decision that the public should know at this point my view."

1. AJ, IL

For all the Hillary supporters...if Obama choses Kansas Governor Kathleen Serbruis as his VP would that satisfy the need for a woman on the ticket?

May 16, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Jenny

I was supporting Hillary Clinton but now i have changed my mind.
    I wanted to be with H. Clinton until the very end.

ITS NOW TIME TO UNITE THE PARTY !!!!

NO MCCAIN.

May 16, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. OH, my

Good for you Larry! I think most Hillary Supporters would welcome her as VP. Maybe it would stop her supporters from going to McCain. My husband and I would be two of them.
    Together they could do a lot.

May 16, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  4. mary

I think that was a dirty trick by Edwards and has lessed my opinion of him, to take the spotlight away from Senator Clinton when the momentum was going her way. they are afraid of a smart woman.

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. Jim D

Wow, that ticket would be slicker than an emulsified teflon/lithium lubricant.

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. km

I have hated Clinton's tactics all along in this race, but I hope Obama picks her for VP. (can't believe I am saying this) It would pretty much cinch a november win, which is really the end game here. I know Obama supporters say it goes against his message...but he also has a message of being able to bridge gaps between dems and rep. If he can't bridge this gap with someone in his own party, can we take that to the bank?

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. ChrisD

Apparently Edwards doesn't want to be a three time loser!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  8. Liar, Liar, pants on fire.

Poor Clintonites, still grumbling....

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. FedUpDem

LOL....don't you obamidiots get it?
    Edwards is now trying Hillarys playbook.
    Let obama have the nomination and, after 4 years of McCain, run for the presidency. Neither Edwards or Clinton is STUPID enough to go down in flames with obama in November.

Backing the one that doesn't pretend to have a magic wand to make your fairy tale come true...McCain 08......then HRC2012

May 16, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. carolinas

John Edwards deserves a high ranking position in white house. As he said, first Hillary has to concede to make a smooth way to elect Barack for the nomination without dragging and dragging to buy time to cook any dirty tricks. I expect her to behave on high moral grounds to save the party.

Obama 2008.

May 16, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. Debby

Whats the matter John don't you want to be a 3 time loser.

May 16, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. Venus

Again, thank you John Edwards!

The timing was perfect regardless of what people say!

I hope you will be in Obama's President Camp!

It was wonderful to see you both on stage this week with such a great crowd!

May 16, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. Matthew

Why would they be "unbeatable" CNN? Edwards couldn't even help Kerry carry his own state of NC in 2004! Sort of like Gore not carrying TN in 2000 (which would have made him president instead of Bush by the way).

I like Edwards, but an Obama-Edwards ticket is a horrible idea. Obama is lacking in executive and foreign policy experience. He needs a running mate who can balance that out somehow. Edwards, like Obama has neither. Not to mention they are both so young. Republicans would tear them apart.

May 16, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. Allison

Of course Edwards isn't going to be Obama's running mate. He's going to end up as his Secretary of Labor.

May 16, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Edgar - Orlando, Florida

If you want to unite the party then put Hillary on board and count FL & MI, nuff said.

May 16, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. NELSON Colorado Springs, Co

Why people think you are up to something when you do the right thing. Leave the man alone. GO OBAMA

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. go blue

Obama/Clinton '08!

Edwards for Attorney General, Biden for Secretary of State!

I think Barack should choose Hillary- The prez and vice don't have to like each other...Reagan and Bush Sr didn't like each other at first. Neither did Kennedy and Johnson.

Democrats Unite!

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Politics as usual

Now we know at least we know who will fill two of Obama's cabin postions (Bill Richardson and John Edwards). I do not think selecting a female VP will help Obama. It would defintely be seen as a ploy to get the female vote and I do not think this will appease Hillary's supporters. Looks like it will be politics as usual.

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Kenneth M

GOOD, HE SAT ON THE FENCE ANYWAY. WE NEED A TOUGH ALABAMAIAN, OR A NICE SOFT WHITE WOMEN FROM KANSAS

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. LaShanda

John Edwards would be a good Secretary of Labor. Hillary would make the best attorney general. Senator Obama has said that his attorney general will investigate the Bush Administration for their war crimes. Hillary would be the best person to do so. John Edwards has relentlessly fought against poverty and has fought for various unions. He would be the best Secretary of Labor. If Obama is the nominee, he'll need a southern white male with military experience. It's a mingling of the old and new guard. Senator Jim Webb would be a good choice or Senator Joe Biden.

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  21. Disappointed

Disappointed in you Mr. Edwards, and even as a registered democrat, no way am voting for Obama. You also have lost a future vote should you decide to run for office again.

Obviously you have failed to recall some of your comments while you were running against this man.

May 16, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  22. Kiyomi

Edwards said he was going to wait off on an endorsement. He also said that he would endorse the candidate most inline with his health care plans. He also said that he IS listening to the voters... Apparently all b.s. and a quick ticket to losing respect. The constituency he is trying to sway is the constituency behing HILLARY. He's trying to use his pull instead of listening to what the people want. He endorsed the day after Clinton smashed BO in WV, so how can he say he's listening to the voters?!? His endorsement is even more pathetic than Richardson's.

May 16, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. Highly Gifted

I am deeply disappointed. I have the greatest respect for Edwards, Clinton and Obama. All three are highly intelligent individuals, but, of course, Obama will get my family's vote.

All three are so superior to Bush in level of consciousness, ethicality and ability to reason and apply logic. Yes, Edwards would have been a great VP.

Perhaps, we can all join together and urge him to act for the greater good. What a ticket! America would actually have a president and VP that can think!

May 16, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. PL

Edwards would be a good choice for VP but the choice is his and we need to respect that.

May 16, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Tylenol 666

Ya bad Idea to have Elizabeth I meant Edwards as VP, now Joe Biden on the other hand hmmmm :)

May 16, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |